Mounting /dev/hdb3 on /newroot failed: invalid arguement
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:05 am    Post subject: Mounting /dev/hdb3 on /newroot failed: invalid arguement Reply with quote

I am very disappointed with the Gentoo installation procedure. I followed the exact path of installation described in the document several times now all leading to the same failed result.

It seems the configuration of Lilo and the mounting of root causes trouble for more people and I dont understand why this is not described better in the install.

I am using a genkernel with the all parameter used on compilation so my etx3 root hd should not cause trouble, I have no idea why a ramdisk is used on boot (they did not bother to elaborate on the subject) and I cant get this system to boot.

Since I bought the product I guess I need to request a refund unless the problem gets resolved soon.

I cant post my files (fstab, lilo.conf) easily since this is a dual boot and I wont risk messing up windows partitions again mounting them under linux.
galenjr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't post your files its gonna be very hard to help you. Even a bit more detailed error message might help.
sion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

galenjr wrote:
If you don't post your files its gonna be very hard to help you. Even a bit more detailed error message might help.

The same error has been posted over 200 times on these forums and the topic descibes it well. My lilo config is exactly as described in the help:

image=/boot/kernel-2.4.26-gentoo-r9
label=gentoo
read-only
root=/dev/ram0
append="init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/hdb3"
initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.26-gentoo-r9

fstab should be irrelevant and I am using a genkernel.
galenjr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've seen this same error 200 times on these forums and none of them had a solution to your problem? =\
sion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

galenjr wrote:
You've seen this same error 200 times on these forums and none of them had a solution to your problem? =\

Yes and no. Some use different filesystems, and I did not check all 200 hits. Problem is the config document when followed 100% on a vanilla machine seems to lead to this error quite a lot. Not a good thing.
To
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try to use your current config and copile a kernel by yourself.
Other thing, lilo sometime don't like some hard disks, so you can allways emerge grub.

There are several things that may be happening.
1. Problems with the boot loader, try grub for ex
2. Problems with BIOS, bios upgrade, or settings set manually.
3. Lack of motherboard chipset suppport, you need to activate it on your kernel.
4. Hard Disk failure...
etc...

------------------------------------------------
Linux Gandalf 3.2.35-grsec
Gentoo Base System version 2.2
sion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the suggestions seem relevant.

If I use the kernel provided on the life CD it works but of course the modules give errors since those were compiled using a diff -r release.

It seems genkernel does not support ext3 (and this is a file system suggested in the install). This is quite rediculous since it forces you to compile a kernel and the whole genkernel does not work properly, making gentoo impossible to use for new linux users. The documentation fails to point out problems with the various file systems and the kernel on boot.

Very disappointing indeed. I will see if I can find documentation on how to compile a kernel and frankly my advise on using gentoo will be negative. This distributions documentation is simply not what is needed to deliver a working system.
To
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have several posts on the forum explaining on how to copile a kernel. There are several documents around the web with the same. Just look a bit furder. I have to be honest with you, using the gentoo documentation you ( or any other user ) should be able to install gentoo without problems. But like I've said, sometimes ppl do mistakes, others the hardware fails by some mistirious event.
Don't quit and continue trying.

Linux Gandalf 3.2.35-grsec
Gentoo Base System version 2.2
inode77
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
None of the suggestions seem relevant.

If I use the kernel provided on the life CD it works but of course the modules give errors since those were compiled using a diff -r release.

It seems genkernel does not support ext3 (and this is a file system suggested in the install). This is quite rediculous since it forces you to compile a kernel and the whole genkernel does not work properly, making gentoo impossible to use for new linux users. The documentation fails to point out problems with the various file systems and the kernel on boot.

Very disappointing indeed. I will see if I can find documentation on how to compile a kernel and frankly my advise on using gentoo will be negative. This distributions documentation is simply not what is needed to deliver a working system.

Sorry but I have some problems with your attitude!
I understand you are frustrated to not get your system up and running with gentoo, but to repeat in almost every of your post that the installation manual isn't good, or the distribution is not for linux newcomers is just plain stupid and annoying.
People here in this forum like to help but they don't like to hear some unsubstaniated accusations.
The gentoo manual, to be quite frankly with you is really good. You can't put everything inside and make a book out of it or nobody would read it anymore.
So please stop the complaining and start acting in a proper way. If you think we can't hear any critisism you're wrong. We like to hear about it but in constructive, productive way not in a accusing, negative one.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: