View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pixelid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: kde logout with nvidia driver (solved) Reply with quote

I have the kernel 2.6.7 plus the nvidia driver. everything works fine until I try to logout. I had the problem with kde 3.2.3 and now that I use kde 3.3 I still have the same problem.

If I kill the X server with ctrl + alt + Backspace kdm will load and I will be able to log in again (this is not the best way to exit kde :( ) But if I logout with kde I have a black screen. The keyboard is working, I can enable and disable numlock and ctrl + alt + del reboot the computer. I don't have any video output until the computer reboot. I try to switch to different teminals but ctrl + F(1-6) or ctr + alt + F(1-6) doesn't work.

The funny thing is if I ssh my computer with an other pc on my network and I type the command "kdm". I can see kdm and everything is back to normal. I add those two lines on my X configuration.

Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "DFP, TV"
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT"

I get to kde faster since then but I still can't logout properly.

I type the command "dmesg" after kdm crash and I got this

atkbd.c: Spurious ACK on isa0060/serio0. Some program, like XFree86, might be trying access hardware directly.
atkbd.c: Spurious ACK on isa0060/serio0. Some program, like XFree86, might be trying access hardware directly.

So far after hours on gentoo forums I am close to give up. Maybe this is one of those problem you have to live with. I will probaly emerge the latest kernel and look at the frame buffer settings. I want to setup the gentoo boot splash and lirc. If any one have an idea please tell me. I love gentoo linux it is the best Linux distribution and the best OS. If I can get kdm fix and lirc up and running gentoo will be the perfect OS :D

Last edited by pixelid on Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kraymer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:03 am    Post subject: upgrade nvidia and xfree Reply with quote

Don't know much about specific XFree settings. Im guessing it's an nvidia related problem.. One thing to try would definitely be to change (probably upgrade?) nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx (I suppose you're using the nvidia module instead of nv).
Another thing would be to try xorg-x11 if you aren't already.
Sorry, don't have more for you at the moment but still.. it might keep you busy for a while ;)

Sebastian

PS: quickpackage (qpkg) your xfree installation before the upgrade (if you do so), you never know if things won't get worse :)
pixelid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:54 am    Post subject: kde logout with nvidia driver (solved) Reply with quote

I emerged the latest kernel 2.6.8-gentoo-r3. I'm using the vesa framebuffer and since I don't have any problem to logout with the nvidia driver. I tried to setup the boot splash but it did no work for me. I reboot my computer only when I compile a new kernel so I don't really care. I have other thing to do like PGR2 on the xbox :D. I'm happy with my gentoo box, life is good again :D.

Thank you Sebastian
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: