Everything segfaults after boot *SOLVED*
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rb338
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Everything segfaults after boot *SOLVED* Reply with quote

Hi all,

since yesterday I seem to have a problem. I sure hope it can be fixed as easy as it was to break it.

The problem is that after a NEARLY succesful boot, everything segfaults. The boot is not entirely succesful, because some X related stuff segfaults too, while still booting.

Things I noticed:
- modprobe works because during boot, modules get loaded
- above goes for about every other command, like iwconfig, route, etc.

I think it started after I compiled xcompmgr out of CVS and tried to run it, because when I did, my screen was all messed up and even after a X restart (with ctrl-alt-backspace) my screen wouldn't work again and X kept trying to start, but fails with signal 11. I then tried to reboot and after that the segfault-party started.

Here's some screenshots I made with my phone:

http://files.rb-338.com/.bla/segfault1.jpg
Here you see the final steps of the boot process and where the bad stuff begins.

http://files.rb-338.com/.bla/segfault2.jpg
Here you also see the final boot steps, and me logging in and trying to run several commands (bash, ls, ps, modprobe)

What could I do to fix this FAST?

edit:

Oh, I tried running a backup kernel too, no difference. I gave it a shot because I added some kernel modules yesterday for my iPod.

edit 2:

Tried remerging xorg-x11 through the Gentoo LiveCD (chroot etc.) but then I get segfaults when the /sbin/ebuild.sh script wants to rm, chmod, etc.

I do have the stage3 tarball on my disk which I used when I installed Gentoo (few months ago). Is it an option to just unpack this and see what happens?

Last edited by rb338 on Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
rb338
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I still don't have any idea why this shit is happening so I'll just install Gentoo once again. Why do I always have unique problems :roll:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: