Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Bootstrap.sh does not run incrementally.. Can it?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eddieparker
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Bootstrap.sh does not run incrementally.. Can it? Reply with quote

I'm setting up Gentoo, on what seems to have been flakey hardware (See my previous post), but I think I fixed it.. Turns out that changing the video card helped.. Who knew?

Anyways - my issue is this: I'm installing stage1, and at the point of running bootstrap.sh, however it's conking out for various reasons:

a) Distributed build fails (using distcc)
b) Previous hardware malady, since fixed (hopefully)
c) Other errors that I fix along the way.

Now, that's all fine and dandy, kind of the installers way of telling me, "You're not cool enough to run me.. Smarten up" (:)) - however my main beef is that bootstrap.sh when run again, starts from the very beginning!

Is there any way to override this behaviour, and continue incrementally? Or must I suffer a complete rebuild from the start? Even the manual says that bootstrap.sh is slow.. And even on my distributed build environment she's a wee bit pokey. :(

Any help would be appreciated!
inode77
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO there's nothing forseen like a continue function for your bootstrap command. You could always edit the script and try to skip the sections you already did.
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you'll have to edit the script for that. I suggest setting STRAP_EMERGE_OPTS to --noreplace. --resume won't work, as emerge gets called several times in the script, and so you'll probably miss bits if you try it that way.
eddieparker
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrmm, I think I'll try that. It seems pretty simple: for the sake of people who might be having similar problems and googling for answers (correct me if I'm wrong): the bootstrap.sh script pretty much just seems to call emerge over and over again.

I can't tell why it decides to overwrite existing merged packages however, (is it because it manually unmerges portage at the start? I think I noticed that flash by.. ). Oh well.

Another option I'm going to try, if I get stuck again, b/c of a distcc error, is to upgrade to distcc 2.17. It's marked experimental, however it has some better checks against distributed failure.. Perhaps that could save my bacon.

Anyways - I'll post a resolution here, when I'm done. Thanks for your help, inode!

(P.S. - When do I lose the damn rank of 'n00b'? Probably whenever I finally get bootstrap.sh to finish compiling, I'm sure. :D)
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddieparker wrote:
I can't tell why it decides to overwrite existing merged packages however, (is it because it manually unmerges portage at the start? I think I noticed that flash by.. ). Oh well.

By default, emerge will install everything specified on the commend line, regardless of whether it's already been installed or not. --noreplace will stop it doing that.

eddieparker wrote:
(P.S. - When do I lose the damn rank of 'n00b'? Probably whenever I finally get bootstrap.sh to finish compiling, I'm sure. :D)

When you hit 75 posts. :wink:
eddieparker
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh; good tip Maedhros.

I suppose I should apologies - some of this stuff is RTFM, but there's a lot to get up to speed on, and uhh.. umm.. I'm just testing the wicked community that Gentoo's legendary for. :)

Although, it's interesting. Ostensibly, it makes sense to recompile packages that are already installed, if the command line used to build them or any of the dependencies have changed...

I don't know how emerge works under the hood, but I'm imagining it checks to see for changing dependents, and recompiling based on that (and if not, that would be a rather keen future enhancement!). I'm also assuming it does not check for changing command lines... or cached versions of make.conf. Perhaps would be cool to use that as a kind of dependency check.. Thereby making incremental.

Anyhow, I'm probably talking out my arse, about stuff I don't know - but I find that's the best way to learn. :) Let me know if I'm totally off base.. I'll appreciate it!
eddieparker
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maedhros wrote:

eddieparker wrote:

Hrmm. So like ~60 posts from now? Yah; I *might* have finished bootstrapping by then. :D
inode77
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddieparker wrote:
Maedhros wrote:

eddieparker wrote:

Hrmm. So like ~60 posts from now? Yah; I *might* have finished bootstrapping by then. :D

The rank doesn't say s**t (swear filter) about anyhting. It's what's in the posts, the tips, help what ever that counts. I often read things of "l33t" people that I have to say are just plain wrong. Don't give a s**t (swear filter) about a rank.
What's important is the community spirit and it's members. Open source Open mind Open future. So share as much knowlege, source and whatever you can with the communtiy.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: