View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barret
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 11:44 pm    Post subject: Gentoo 1.4? Reply with quote

Does anyone know when the official Gentoo 1.4 release is going to be? I'm anxiously waiting for it.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving from OTG to Gentoo Chat. OK, here's a new rule. With the exception of moderators having to do moderator-y things like writing this notice, nobody who participated in the flaming debacle that is About Gentoo 1.4... (including me - guilty as anyone) is eligible to post here. No arguments made already in that thread are to be rehashed here. Only fresh rampant speculation here, please.
Chris Hickman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok mods, I apologize in advance if you feel this is inappropriate, and will understand if you feel the need to delete or edit this post to keep the thread on track.

Having said that, I made a point at the very end of the last thread that was sort of addressed by a fellow board member, but not addressed by anyone else, so I'm going to repost it here and hope to get an answer. It is on the subject of updates for the community, from the developers, and the general response from the moderators being "they don't have time, and we don't want them spending time on that anyway."

" I find it hard to believe that there isn't one developer out of however many that doesn't have 5 minutes they could spend once a week typing up a short post on this forum briefing the community on the status of this project! It could look something like this:

"Gentoo 1.4 status report: Fixed foo1 and bar2 this week. Foo3 and bar4 should be done next week. That leaves foo5 and bar6 to be completed until it is ready for release, which means the next release candidate should be out around X and the release around Y."

Even granting more space for the variables, that's about 6-7 lines tops, and it took me about a minute to write that. Yes that's right, one minute. My question is, we HAD a small updates avenue for a while, that CVS page, but it hasn't been updated in 2 months...why?

Unless they are spending every single minute outside of their real jobs on this project, there should be no reason one of the developers could this once a week. Hell, they could even trade off and have a different one do it each week, causing even less time to be spent on this! And I disagree with wanting the developers to spend "every minute" on coding and testing..if that happens, it's going to suck anyway, because they're not going to be grounded in reality icon_smile.gif (i.e. what about family, entertainment, their own personal emails, etc.). Plus they're going to have less interaction with the community that uses their product, since developer communication is a two way street...that little weekly 1 minute post would generate at least a dozen helpful emails, I'm sure. Instead we have this thread, where people are treated as idiots for wanting to know the status of a freaking open source project!"

Well? :)
Chris Hickman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I could suggest...if version numbers are really as unimportant as some claim (and I might be inclined to agree), drop them altogether for the distribution as a whole, and instead call it "The Gentoo Project" or whatever, with no public version numbers...except for the installer, for which a version number could be viewed in the package name for download and during the install, which is really the only time it would actually be important.

As for trying 1.4 RC1...I don't want to install beta software, sorry, I want to install final releases. And I still don't think it is a crime for we vbb members to expect some kind of road map or progess update on the progress on the installer...yeah, 1.4 or 1.2, KDE, Gnome, and all other packages are the same, but the installer must be new software, or you wouldn't have developers working on it, right? And it is new software in FINAL RELEASE FORM that I would like to try and would also like to have info on it.

I'm sorry guys...but when I think of software companies where the developers don't communicate with the community, except for security updates and a bone (aka beta) now and then, I think Microsoft 1st but I think Gentoo 2nd. Maybe no one cares, but judging from the replies in the other thread, I think there's quite a few people that would agree with me there...

Chris
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW... Chris I TOTALLY agree, It would be great if the devs just took a minute every other week or so to let us know what was going on and who's missing, which bugs are the showstoppers etc. It doesn't have to be big, but there's atm very little information floating around on the overall project status, even on the gentoo-dev mailing list.

I was also sad to see the Changelog page go, I loved that one, Made it easy for you to get a picture of what went into Portage.
pelux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree. :)
Mnemia
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope no one takes this the wrong way because I mean no harm and I really want to be constructive and not just complain.

I don't really mind the lack of a status report personally, because I'm not sure it's necessary. That said, maybe some news would be nice - most regular users have no clue what's going on with the project now that the CVS page has gone stale. I lurk several of the mailing lists and I haven't seen anything to indicate how far along things are in ages, even in passing. Does all the real discussion take place on some closed mailing list? I can understand the need for that since people all too often inject pointless complaints, questions, badgering posts (like this one :wink: ) into such things and development is slow. But maybe some digests of that list would be nice even if posting was not allowed for non-developers.

I didn't want to say anything and I've tried to keep my mouth shut about 1.4 for 3 months, as soon as the questions started getting annoying. But it really seems like lately things have been slipping as far as some things go. The thing about new bugzilla ebuilds not going into the tree is a biggy for me - right now I'm using numerous bugzilla ebuilds, plus several items that have to be unmasked every time I rsync. It's getting to be a real hassle to maintain my system due to all the patching of the tree I'm having to do just to keep my system up to date and add cool stuff to it. That's a serious issue to me because it means that Portage is slowly losing its usefullness in my case due to the chaotic state of the version updates, etc. currently in the tree. Gone are the days when I could just rsync and emerge -pu world to update my system :(

It really seems like the freeze (is it still on? Does anyone know for sure?) hurt more than it helped, because I'm having more trouble with ebuilds since then due to the long delay in which package version bumps were not attended to promptly.

1.4 has been so long delayed that multiple versions of major packages like KDE, X, GNOME, Mozilla, etc have come out in the interim. Many times these were broken by various complications and took some time to fix (eg KDE). That's normal, but every time that happens it's more of a distraction that delays 1.4 even further. And some packages seem to have major problems that are making it difficult for new versions to be made. Mozilla ebuilds were always prompt in coming before 1.1, and now two Mozilla milestones have come and gone without a new ebuild in the official tree. The ones I've gotten from various places (forums, etc) were incomplete or broken for some functionality unless some major effort was put into them. That's bad.

Anyway, I mean no disrespect but I just wanted to give some constructive criticism. Let's get 1.4 out so Gentoo can get back to it's normal, sleekly polished self :)
jondkent
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a good idea is to mimike the Debian weekly news email which is a nice snapshot of whats going on in the Debian world. Keeps all those interested informed of the lastest developements etc etc.

Jon
gravis
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 1:11 pm    Post subject: YEP Reply with quote

that would be great !

gentoo seems to be so dead... Although, I am sure the devs are working very hard !
jondkent
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there are quite a few things going on at the moment beside the 1.4 build. The web sites are being spread out to other servers to low overall load for example, which you may have noticed.

Jon
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For reference, here are a list of open channels of communications with the developers (that I'm aware of):

The gentoo-dev mailing list.
The gentoo-cvs mailing list (similar to the changelog page, though it's been down with the mail server switchover, but I think will be back soon)
IRC (the devs occasionally pop in and out there)
Your portage tree (seriously, when you do an emerge rsync you can see all the recent changes, and looking at the changelogs will give you info)
bugs.gentoo.org (you can browse bugs to your heart's content, and even comment on them)

There's lots of information out there if you look for it.
jondkent
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: YEP Reply with quote

Quote:
gentoo seems to be so dead... Although, I am sure the devs are working very hard !

Seems a strange statement to make. One of the additional things I like about Gentoo are the forums, which are extremely active and new ebuilds are coming out in a fairly regular stream. So is not exactly dead. Never really understood why people what to send their lives forever upgrading, so for me if xyz release is a little slow I could care less. If the version I have running works fine I'll usually hold off ungrading unless there are serious bugs fixed or additional features I want. Thats just me of course :wink:

Going back to my, obviously, fantastic :lol: suggestion of mimiking Debian weekly email, one of the reasons why this was created wasn't because of a lack of information, rather because of information overflow which was spread out all over the place so this was used concentrate this overload into one place. Its saves time for people which could be spent doing other , more useful things with/for Gentoo IMHO.

Maybe I should put myself forward for this :idea:

Jon
gravis
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 5:09 pm    Post subject: Forums Reply with quote

Yes, forums are a strenght (is it the way to write it ?) of gentoo ... But i am a student, and I really don't have time to read new post... I would really appreciate weekly news (maybe a mix a important posts ??).
Chris Hickman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phong wrote:
For reference, here are a list of open channels of communications with the developers (that I'm aware of):

The gentoo-cvs mailing list (similar to the changelog page, though it's been down with the mail server switchover, but I think will be back soon)
Your portage tree (seriously, when you do an emerge rsync you can see all the recent changes, and looking at the changelogs will give you info)
bugs.gentoo.org (you can browse bugs to your heart's content, and even comment on them)

There's lots of information out there if you look for it.

First of all, sorry, but I am NOT rejoining any Gentoo mailing list after the server got screwed up and filled my mailbox with non-digest emails! Also, IRC is not really a viable method of communication for the entire Gentoo user community...imagine if we all logged in there at once, what a nightmare it would be! The portage tree doesn't show updates to the installer as I recall, since you only use the installer once per system and is not something you "update" per se. And finally, while bugs.gentoo.org is fine, its not very efficient, since it would require a person to follow the progress of every open bug (and through a quick search I was unable to find a "Make 1.4 not suck" in the vein of Mozilla's "make 1.0 not suck" "bugs").
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
With the exception of moderators having to do moderator-y things like writing this notice, nobody who participated in the flaming debacle that is About Gentoo 1.4... (including me - guilty as anyone) is eligible to post here.
If I go look at the other thread, will I find that none of you posted there? :twisted:

I'm also not seeing anything significantly different between the two threads.
Chris Hickman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
rac wrote:
With the exception of moderators having to do moderator-y things like writing this notice, nobody who participated in the flaming debacle that is About Gentoo 1.4... (including me - guilty as anyone) is eligible to post here.
If I go look at the other thread, will I find that none of you posted there? :twisted:

I'm thinking he meant the part at the very end, perhaps?
jondkent
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:

Not guilty mate, didn't post there. Trying to be positive here. Communication is the key (that sounds like a Placebo lyric) for everything not just 1.4 release. One central source email/web/blog/whatever then people will be happy bunnies

Thats my lot

Laterz

Jon
allesfresser
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 9:24 pm    Post subject: Gentoo's not the only distro with communication problems Reply with quote

Just a bit of cold comfort, perhaps, but Gentoo's not the only distro that seems to have problems communicating status to its user base. Slackware is kind of the same way... Patrick V. only updates the changelogs when he feels it's necessary (which I don't necessarily disagree with, by the way.) Gentoo seems to be the same way, but in point of fact I don't even know that I've seen a master changelog like Slackware has (other that the Announcements forum.) Perhaps that might be a good idea...?

Just a few little thoughts.

p.
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should include 99% of all users (only some n00bs will post 8))

Hey, wait, I have posted there.... should not be posting here....
drop these lead pipes!! Ouch!! Ouch!! Ouch!!!!! :lol:

kanuslupus wrote:
rac wrote:

Jyrinx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
rac wrote:

There's a problem here. These discussions keep escalating, and it's not just because people are being immature. It's because there are real issues unresolved. When moderator/developer participation is limited to "keep it down in there or we'll lock the thread again," how can the discussion be constructive? People are being curmudgeons because it's the only way to get an answer around here.

And as for the open channels of communication ...

phong wrote:

Completely uninformative. This is anything but a developers' list where you can see what's going on; it's more like a somewhat more informed version of the forums. The only threads started by devs are announcements.

phong wrote:

Not useful for reasons already mentioned. (Maybe if there were a running chat log page on the Web site?)

phong wrote:

Not as informative as is needed. Besides, the users should not have to rake through hundreds of changelogs to get a general idea of where development is going.

The fact is, there are legitimate, worthwhile questions that are remaining unanswered. Case in point (my pet peeve): What's with the freeze, and what's the progress toward ending it? (Mozilla 1.2 is imminent; soon the "cutting-edge" distro will be two minor versions behind. (?!!!)) This is an important question for tons of Gentoo users, and yet the freeze is entirely a dirty little secret that had to be dug up by reading package.mask. An open project should have announced it loudly at the outset instead of quietly letting the Portage tree stagnate.

And, of course, there has been tons of discussion on why the devs never speak up, and simple ways to keep users in the know (or at least not completely in the dark). These are also stagnating and turning into flame wars because, ironically enough, the devs aren't involved. People really care about Gentoo, and they really want to know what's going on; given that they're so interested, if the conversation doesn't yield a meaningful response from the devs, how can it not deteriorate?

Jyrinx
jyrinx@mindspring.com

(/me has a bad feeling he's getting this thread locked, thus proving his point ...)
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(/me has a bad feeling he's getting this thread locked, thus proving his point ...)

I certainly hope it doesn't get locked. I would like to see someone come up with something really innovative to solve this 'problem' that apparently bothers so many people. Obviously there are a lot of people out there who are unwilling to accept the fact that the developers want to, uhh, develop and not be required to produce some kind of official routine update. It would be nice if there was someway to appease both sides. However, you haven't suggested a possible solution. In fact, you're restating things that have been said several times in the previous thread. You're prediction will most certainly come true if this trend continues.
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be informative, you may find in the previous thread that the main problem preventing 1.4 right now is gcc going really stable (at least, it was what I understood).

One possible solution to the information problem is that we could have some knowleadgeable person acting as a reporter. This person would not develop, but would have access to the developers' discussion and changelogs, and then he/she would tell us how things are. I don't remember if this was already suggested (probably yes).
Jyrinx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tristam29 wrote:
However, you haven't suggested a possible solution.

Jyrinx wrote:
Maybe if there were a running chat log page on the Web site?

Tristam29 wrote:
In fact, you're restating things that have been said several times in the previous thread. You're prediction will most certainly come true if this trend continues.

I'm restating things because no-one's answering them. There are problems, and they're not going to go away just because people stop asking about them.

Besides, requiring that no-one complain without suggesting a better idea is unfair, and only encourages further breakdown, since it further brings the discussion to a level of personal attack. There is a legitimate role for someone who asks questions but doesn't have many answers.

Finally, at this point in the discussion it is difficult to suggest much beyond the following:

- Developers should create a centralized means of communication of general development status to the users.

We can ramble on until our faces turn blue about it, but since we are hearing nothing from the devs but "quit arguing" and "just go to XYZ site/list where all your concerns are already answered" (when, as has been established and never refuted, said site/list is inadequate), we can only go in either of two directions: idle speculation and degenerative flaming.

Jyrinx
jyrinx@mindspring.com

(For the record, and as a token of faith, here are some ideas off the top of my head: A mailing list actually used for development discussion; an IRC chat log, as I mentioned; a weekly report, a la GNOME et al.; a monthly report; more milestone releases; prioritization of changelog entries; TODO lists to give users ideas and starting points for pitching in.)
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jyrinx wrote:
There's a problem here. These discussions keep escalating, and it's not just because people are being immature. It's because there are real issues unresolved. When moderator/developer participation is limited to "keep it down in there or we'll lock the thread again," how can the discussion be constructive?
I will make my last post until someone PMs me to complain about this thread. The question usually being asked is essentially "When is 1.4 coming out", or some variant thereof. Moderators aren't significantly different than non-moderators. We don't have any better idea than the rest of the forum users what the development cycle is with Gentoo. Additionally, developers do not often post on the forums. Yes, in a perfect world, we'd have some sort of status report. We don't. Most of this (all?) has already been addressed in the other thread.

Continued posting of "When is it coming", "Whats the status", "They should tell us this or that", etc., is not constructive. Personally, I don't see how any comments on the subject can be constructive.

Quote:
People are being curmudgeons because it's the only way to get an answer around here.
I'm not sure what you are referring to here, but I don't know a moderator that would keep secret any information if they had it. What answers have been offered as a result of someone being a 'curmudgeon' (and only because they were being such)?

Quote:
The fact is, there are legitimate, worthwhile questions that are remaining unanswered.
Correct.

Quote:
Case in point (my pet peeve): What's with the freeze, and what's the progress toward ending it?
Has anyone asked on the dev mailinglist? Are the devleopers (Daniel especially) aware of the concerns over the lack of communication?
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jyrinx wrote:
Tristam29 wrote:
However, you haven't suggested a possible solution.

Jyrinx wrote:
Maybe if there were a running chat log page on the Web site?

Tristam29 wrote:
In fact, you're restating things that have been said several times in the previous thread. You're prediction will most certainly come true if this trend continues.

There have been several similar suggestions in past posts. The new and different part would be if you created a method of automatically generating a chat log of some kind.

Quote:
Besides, requiring that no-one complain without suggesting a better idea is unfair, and only encourages further breakdown, since it further brings the discussion to a level of personal attack. There is a legitimate role for someone who asks questions but doesn't have many answers.

Let's think about this in reverse for a second. If everyone was allowed to complain and not post a possible solution, we would end up with lots of complaints and no solutions. This is essentially what we have. I would ammend your second sentece to read, "There is a legitimate role for someone who asks new and provacative questions but doesn't have many answers."

Quote:
(For the record, and as a token of faith, here are some ideas off the top of my head: A mailing list actually used for development discussion; an IRC chat log, as I mentioned; a weekly report, a la GNOME et al.; a monthly report; more milestone releases; prioritization of changelog entries; TODO lists to give users ideas and starting points for pitching in.)

These are all good. Would you like to volunteer to implement some of them? Perhaps you would like to be the one to contact the gentoo-dev mailing list with your concerns as kanuslupus suggested?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: