View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elias4444
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:01 am    Post subject: DPMS not working Reply with quote

Ok, this is just strange: if I run "xset dpms force standby" my monitor goes into DPMS standby no problem. However, I set the DPMS option with "StandbyTime" in my xorg.conf file and it never goes off (doesn't do a thing). XScreensaver works, and even puts the monitor into standby mode, except that it does it even when I'm in the middle of using an application in Gnome. I'm running everything in the stable branch (Gnome and Xorg). If anyone has an idea, please let me know.
elias4444
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shameless bump... 8O

Honestly, I've searched these forums, and tried several different solutions, but none of them worked. Should I leave the stable branch and go to "testing" instead? That would give me the newest version of xorg anyway.
elias4444
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I've pounded and pounded this issue. I finally gave in and decided to start installing a few "unstable" packages from the"~x86" arch. Primarily, I re-emerged xscreensaver (to version 4.16 currently in the unstable arch), and that, thus far, seems to have solved the issue. I still don't understand why the DPMS settings (standbytime and suspendtime) don't work in the xorg.conf file, but for the meantime, it looks like I'm fixed. Hopefully this information will help anyone else having this issue.
catkfr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some issues with DPMS in gnome: I couldn't get xscreensaver to use DPMS correctly (backlight would stay on). I played around with the xorg.conf file for a while before finding out that whatever is in it, xscreensaver will overwrite the DPMS settings with its own. In the end, I gave up on screensavers: disabled xscreensaver, and let my xorg.conf settings take care of the rest and it works fine for me.
elias4444
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The strangest thing for me was that no matter what I put in the xorg.conf file, it wouldn't work. It could use xset and it would work just fine, but never from the file. I also tried completely removing xscreensaver, and that didn't make any difference. Luckily, since I emerged the unstable xscreensaver package, everything has worked fine. I'm still crossing my fingers though, wondering if the issue will ever come back.
Ssl
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Exactly what is happening to me. With xscreensaver installed it works fine as with command
Code:
xset dpms force standby
but no luck with xorg.conf:
Code:

Section "ServerFlags"

Option  "blank time"    "10"
Option  "standby time"  "60"
Option  "suspend time"  "90"
Option  "off time"      "120"

EndSection

Ssl
catkfr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My xorg.conf is not setup exactly this way and works for me (again not using xscreensaver). Here's how my xorg.conf is setup for DPMS to work:
Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier   "simple layout"
    Screen   "Screen1"
    InputDevice   "USB Mouse" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice   "Touchpad" "SendCoreEvents"
    InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
    Option   "StandbyTime"   "600"
    Option   "SuspendTime"   "600"
    Option   "OffTime"   "10"
EndSection

I decided that I didn't need the other settings (standby and suspend) and just turn my screen off and it works great for me.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: