Framebuffer alignment, X alignment?!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ExpertWriter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Framebuffer alignment, X alignment?! Reply with quote

I've just installed Gentoo with the 2.6.7 kernel - my first time trying it. I'm running it on a machine which is also running a well-configured SuSE 9.1 setup. I go back and forth between the two via the existing LILO menu in SuSE. My monitor is a 17" Viewsonic flat panel.

Here are my problems:

1) When I go from SuSE to Gentoo, the console display upon boot gets shifted over to the right by about 3/4 of an inch. If I punch the reset button on the monitor it adjusts OK, but then when I go back to SuSE it's out of alignment there and I have to again punch the reset button. This is framebuffer related, right? What controls this? Why would it be out of alignment? How can I fix it?

2) Within Gentoo, I've installed Xorg and KDE. I first configured KDE for root, and it's fine. But when I log in as a non-super user, the X display is again shifted over about 3/4 of an inch. Punching the reset button on the monitor in this case does absolutely nothing. Now, why would this happen? Both root and the non-super user are running off the same X.conf!!!!
ExpertWriter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done a little tweaking of xorg.conf, so now my KDE display is fine for both root and non-root users.

However I still have the console misalignment when going back and forth between SuSE and Gentoo. I have trolled the Web and still found nothing on this.
ExpertWriter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Solved using xvidtune Reply with quote

... to tune the X display rather than get bothered about the console display.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: