system problems not able to go to multi user mode
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kidisgod
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: system problems not able to go to multi user mode Reply with quote

Hi,

I run a gentoo file source mirror. kidisgod.gentoo.com. I left my machine unattended for about 2 weeks because I was out sailing. When I came back the machine was no longer servicing any requests, but I could still ping it on the network. I had to reboot the machine. I looked at the log files and figured out that it had run out of physical memmory, and that is why it was not servicing any requests anymore.

Now to my problem.....

After I rebooted the machine it would not boot anymore. I could edit the grub conf to have the machine boot into single user mode, and that works just fine..

so I rc-update del the services that would not start to try and get my machine to multi user mode....

When I have removed all the services that would hang on bootup, it would hang where it is supposed to start login...

I went to single user mode again and tried to run login
but it just seg faults.

I tried to emerge -u system but it does not uncompress the packages into the working folder...

I have checked the hard drive and I have nearly 200GB free disk space on the machine.

I even put the hard drive into another machine, and I get the same behavior..

could some how my libs have gotten messed up and I am not longer a running machine?

if so how do I fix it so I can get my gentoo file source mirror back on the net....

Thanks
Daniel
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: