Boots to Black Screen
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syrae
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Boots to Black Screen Reply with quote

Well, if you've seen my previous thread, you know that I've had some trouble so far. The only reason I haven't switched to another distro is because I'm stubborn.

Thankfully I have the kernel compiled, GRUB installed, and everything is all working happily, except for one thing--I can't see Gentoo!

When I boot into Gentoo from GRUB, I stop being able to see anything. My monitor power light starts to blink like it's not getting a signal (but it doesn't tell me that it's not plugged in.) Anyhow, I've tried adding vga statements (I had none) like vga=791 or vga=normal and a few others, but nothing seems to work.
nyteryda
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

possibly you have the wrong options in your kernel, so make sure you have selected
DEVICE DRIVERS -> CHARACTER DEVICES -> /dev/agpgart
(and appropriate chipset under there if you have one of them)

Also under
DEVICE DRIVERS -> Graphics Support ->

Check support for frame buffers and select VESA DRIVER
(try unchecking everything else in that section)

What card do you have ?
artic
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes ,the fail is in the kernel,it is wrong compile,i have the same error.You have vesa compiled??????
Have fun
Syrae
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My video card on this guy is a "VGA compatible controller: Trident Microsystems CyberBlade/i1 (rev 106)" according to the pci file. That's the card that I enabled in the makeconfig.

So...

Assuming I selected the wrong stuff for the kernel compile, does that mean I have to recompile everything again? :roll:
nyteryda
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syrae wrote:
My video card on this guy is a "VGA compatible controller: Trident Microsystems CyberBlade/i1 (rev 106)" according to the pci file. That's the card that I enabled in the makeconfig.

So...

Assuming I selected the wrong stuff for the kernel compile, does that mean I have to recompile everything again? :roll:

yes wrong kernel options means you have to recompile it with right options
(you could try genkernel if you like, i have never used it so can't help but it may be easier for you to configure i think it is one of those kernels that detects things for you automagically...)
baldeante
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syrae wrote:

So...

You will not have to do all again just boot the live cd, mount your partitions do a chroot and recompile your kernel, just in case don't forget to check your grub config file.
Syrae
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recompiled it making sure that I had all the VGA devices as at least a module and the device I think I use as installed (before I had only my device installed as a VGA device).... I also made sure that the options that nyteryda suggested were selected. I still can't get Gentoo to show me anything on the screen.

Does anyone else have any advice? I'm just about ready to try Fedora, which I know will work on here. I just wanted to prove that I could do a Gentoo install.
zoopside
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Same problem... Reply with quote

I've got most everything working on my installation, but get the black screen on boot as well.

When I comment out the splash image line in grub.conf, then I can see the menu, etc. I've got gnome up and running at a decent resolution, but am now trying to get the grub splash screen and vesa terminal support working.

I think my problem is that I do _not_ have a display driver compiled into the kernel because I haven't been able to find the "Display Drivers" section in the "make menuconfig" menu options....

Any ideas? Thanks....
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: