k3b - No CD-Burner for users
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bienchen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject: k3b - No CD-Burner for users Reply with quote

Hello,

could someone tell me how to burn CD's with k3b as normal user? I've executed the configure as root but don't see any burner-device as normal user.
The User was added to "cdrw".

best regards, bienchen
Pink
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may actually depend on a few things:

What kernel are you using? The 2.6.8.1 kernel does have a problem with user burning, I beleive the gentoo-dev kernel has this fixed now but do check on that one.

Are you using udev? If so, udev 31 had a huge problem and wouldn't recognise cd devices as user. This was fixed in udev32 but I do recall a thread that a user was still having troubles with this in udev32.

Those two are the main reasons I can think of, if you have sorted those and it still is not working let us know your config (kernel, udev, kde version, etc).

HTH :D
bienchen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:01 am    Post subject: System Reply with quote

Yep, I'm using Kernel 2.6.8.1
An what is "udev"? Where do I find info if I'm using it?

best regards,
bienchen
Pink
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the main answer to your problem is the kernel version, as I say, I think the latest gentoo-dev sources have it sorted or you could try the development-sources which uses the 2.6.9-rc2 kernel, or indeed drop back to a 2.6.7 kernel.

As for udev, it is a replacement for devfs, which is pretty much depreciated. If you haven't emerged it and adjusted your config files and kernel options then you don't have it. there is a doc in the user docs about udev. The document itself is pretty bad but provides two very good links at the bottom which explain in detail all about it and how to use it and how to still keep devfs if you want to.

There's also a few threads (one very long one if I recall) about it.

HTH.
corey_s
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:52 am    Post subject: same problem Reply with quote

I'm having the exact same issue. Although I've never run into this before.

I just recently did a complete reinstall of my system and am now using gentoo 2004.2. I'm using kernel 2.6.9-rc1, and am not using udev.

I've tried everything I could think of, but k3b refuses to recognize the burner for any user other than root.
antoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: cd burning Reply with quote

I tracked this issue through and ended up at the kernel mailing list archive a while back. My recollection is:

In the 2.6.8 series kernel and later the kernel was changed to close a security gap. This change means that the frontend and libraries that enable cd burning (I use cdrtools & k3b) will need to be changed to take account of the kernel changes.

I seem to remember reading Linus say that he realises that this will break things, but that it was necessary and that the software would need to be re-written to conform to the new series.

So until this happens, go back to 2.6.7 series kernel or find a 2.6.8+ kernel hack (they are available), or burn cds as root.
corey_s
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I tracked this issue through and ended up at the kernel mailing list archive a while back. My recollection is:

Many thanks for the info - much appreciated!

I'll just keep using 'kdesu' to launch K3B untill cdrecord gets the necessary changes.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: