Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
torrents to help mirrors with large files?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
syadnom
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: torrents to help mirrors with large files? Reply with quote

just like to throw out a thought here.

for all those large files in portage, would using bittorrent to download these be a good idea?

for instance. the ebuild would contain a link to a torrent instead of the source, build a little download script to use in portage as you would prozilla so that portage does not have to change. this script would then either download the source in a normal ebuild, but then if a torrent were downloaded it would launch a command line bittorrent and downlaod the source that way.

i believe that if new releases such as gnome-2.8 were done in this manner, that all of the gnome-2.8 dependancies could be tared up and then the whole lot could be 1 torrent.

thoughts?
Vitaliy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are tons of fast university mirrors as it is, so I really see no need. And how are you going to make one torrent with all the dependencies when all of them vary based on the USE flags?
syadnom
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:09 am    Post subject: huh? Reply with quote

Quote:
And how are you going to make one torrent with all the dependencies when all of them vary based on the USE flags?

gnome needs specific packages requardless of use flags. many packages are like this,
jmz2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A torrent can have multiple files inside it. They don't need to be tarred.

But I see no problem with the current system which bittorrent would solve.
syadnom
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: well Reply with quote

the point is to resolve bandwidth dependancy. with the even shifting politics of university computer departments and politics in general, relying on a single system for distribution of the entire gentoo community could give some trouble down the road.

--

i had originally thought that the entire mirror should be in one torrent and that the torrent client should simple choose the files out of that torrent that are wanted.

--

also, i have another post reguarding torrents and rsync, as contant rsyncs hammer the rsync servers quite hard and a torrent rsync system would help this as the local machine would be 'doing the math' and simple downloading a small torrent from the rsync mirror.
fuqnbastard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like this especially for free computer games, which the university servers don't host and for which often all the mirrors in the ebuild are either down or slow.

P.S. Wasn't there even an unofficial version of bittorrent, that allowed for http addresses to be given as sources?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: