Installation problem with emerge system
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marsbt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:10 am    Post subject: Installation problem with emerge system Reply with quote

Hi,

I was planning to install Gentoo from the LiveCD using network support. The machine is a PIII, 128MB, 12G HDD Compaq Laptop. I tested it first with Knoppix26 and everything seemed to be detected fine.

Then I started with the Gentoo install(using Stage2) and right now, its in the "emerge system" state. It took a lot of time downloading stuff and then installing and recompiling glibc. Thats OK considering the old machine. But now its stuck at downloading the gzip-1.3.5-deb.patch.bz2

It has been retrying to download it for the last couple of hours and times out after around 15 minutes. It has changed a couple of mirrors automatically(which were not in my list).

What should I do now? If the gzip package is not there how can stop it to look for it and continue with other packages?

Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks.
inode77
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[url]sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/ftp/mirror/gentoo/distfiles/gzip-1.3.5-deb.patch.bz2[/url]
Use wget and put file into /usr/portage/distfiles.
Link is working, and file has correct checksum.
marsbt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
http://sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/ftp/mirror/gentoo/distfiles/gzip-1.3.5-deb.patch.bz2
Use wget and put file into /usr/portage/distfiles.
Link is working, and file has correct checksum.

Its still trying to download from a mirror from a mirror. Do I just download it from the link you gave and put it in /usr/portage/distfiles ?

Also, as the system was started using the Livecd, What username/password is need to login using another cosole(Ctl+Alt+F2)? As I have not set the root password yet, so don't what to use for another console. In case I cannot logon from another console, is there a possibility to stop the "emerge system" process and do stuff and restart it?

Thanks.
inode77
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marsbt wrote:
Also, as the system was started using the Livecd, What username/password is need to login using another cosole(Ctl+Alt+F2)?
A bootup a random generated root password is set. So if you like to use the other consoles you just have to type "passwd root" and set one that you know (username=root). (Can't be done if you are in chroot jail)
marsbt wrote:
Do I just download it from the link you gave and put it in /usr/portage/distfiles ?

Yes. Or you just set "sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/ftp/mirror/gentoo" as a gentoo mirror in your make.conf and retry.
marsbt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked the laptop. The process is continuing. I don't know if it got the gzip package or not, but it is now continuing to download other stuff and compile it.

Phew!! I don't know what would have been a way out of the situation, with no root password, and "emerge system" running and I didn't want to waste around 9 hours of downloading and compiling time.

Thanks for the help. Help has been prompt here at Gentoo. The only comparable help forum is at forums.mozillazine.org
inode77
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. Just come back if you run into any trouble with gentoo.
marsbt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I need help again. Check out this post.

I don't mind facing problems when dealing with Linux installations in particular. I have see various problems with RedHad, FC1/2, and Debian(Sarge & Sid). So its kind of normal to have problems during install. I'm not blaming Linux for this, but every install is a bit different and people are bound to make a mistake some where(documentation/installation).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: