Can't boot Reiser4 drive
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: Can't boot Reiser4 drive Reply with quote

I have two identical hard drives on my system. One is /dev/hde and the other is /dev/hdg. The HD on /dev/hde is referenced as /dev/md0 since it is part of an old RAID. (The second drive of md0 drive is gone.)

So /dev/md0 holds my root system, and an ext2 partition at /dev/hde1 is mounted at /boot.

My relevant parts of my /boot/grub/grub.conf file looks like this:

Code:

# For /dev/hdg2
title  Gentoo Linux Test
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/kernel-2.6.9-rc2-nitro1 root=/dev/hdg2 video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr,1024x768-32@60 splash=silent

# For /dev/md0
title Gentoo Linux
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/kernel-2.6.9-rc2-nitro1 root=/dev/md0 video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr,1024x768-32@60 splash=silent
initrd /boot/fbsplash

Partition hdg1 is my swap, and hdg2 is my reiser4 partition.

My relevant part in my /etc/fstab on the md0:

Code:

/dev/hdg1               none            swap            sw
/dev/md0                /               reiserfs        noatime,notail                  1 1
/dev/hde1               /boot           ext2            noatime,notail                  1 2

My relevant part in my /etc/fstab on the hdg2:

Code:

/dev/hdg2                /               reiser4       noatime,notail                  1 1
/dev/hde1               /boot           ext2            noatime,notail                  1 2

I have updated grub to a newer version that has support for reiser4.

I have mounted the hdg2 reiser4 partition and copied all the files from md0 and made the correct directories. (/proc /sys, etc)

I can boot fine into the md0 partition.
When I try to boot into the hdg2 partition it starts, but it uses md0 partition as the root also.

Checking dmesg, the kernel is using /dev/md0 as root, so I guess grub is reading from the partition from which it saw on install?

Any suggestions or pointers?
che
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't boot Reiser4 drive Reply with quote

jubenvi wrote:

My relevant part in my /etc/fstab on the md0:

Code:

/dev/md0                /               reiserfs        noatime,notail                  1 1

shouldn't the second line be
Code:
/dev/md0                /               reiser4        noatime,notail                  1 1

you have "reiserfs" there, which is reiserfs 3.x
black hole sun
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't boot Reiser4 drive Reply with quote

jubenvi wrote:
you have "reiserfs" there, which is reiserfs 3.x
lol, that's your problem, che :D

Also, reiser4 AFAIK doesn't use the "notail" option like ReiserFS did, I suggest removing it.
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/dev/md0 is a reiserfs partition. Hence the /etc/fstab file contains a partition type of reiserfs.

The partition on /dev/hdg2 is the reiser4 partition. The /etc/fstab file on that partition correctly says reiser4.

Maybe someone can clarify the boot sequence for me.

Grub is set initially to point to the /boot partition.
On boot, grub reads the grub.conf file found in /boot. (Which was set when grub was installed)
From the grub.conf file it determines the kernel to load and the location of the root / partition.
So the /etc/fstab file is read from whichever partition root= is set to in grub.conf?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: