Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ucntcme
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkeyhead wrote:
blech...

so 6.8.2 seems to have made everything all happy and fluffy again. i get so used to gentoo just doing it's job, that i forget what a pain in the ass things can be when they don't just magically work like you thought they would. still curious to know if it was the new nvidia-kernel/nvidia-glx or the x.org 6.8.0/6.8.1 that was causing the problem. whatever it was, it sucked.

Wish it was working here. I've got a new gentoo box (5th one), doing a clean install from stage3 and ... 6.8.2 refuses to compile. As soon as it spits the error out again, I'll post it. Default compile options. Argh. IIRC it was a "missing file" error.
mlybarger
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm getting lots of unresolved symbol errors after upgrading xorg from 6.8.0 to 6.8.2 as pre this post:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-311704-highlight-.html

if anyone has any ideas to fix this, i'd be most appreciated. my laptop is now dead in the water.
qeldroma
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moinmoin,

i did an "emerge world" on two computers the last days, one with ATI Radeon, another with NVIDIA GF4MX.

BOTH have problems now while running Xorg.

Under ATI, everytime i switch down to the textconsole via <F1> - <F5>, the X-server severely crashes, including all running apps on X.

Under NVIDIA, the X-Server crashes EVERYtime, the screensaver (GL) is on and has to turn off because of an event.

Is that NORMAL with X.org?????

Greets, qeldroma
Goeland86
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qeldroma at least I'm not the only one having that problem.
I'm running on a laptop with ATI chipset, using the OSS radeon driver. It doesn't crash when going to a virtual console, but it crashes when I go back to X, everything freezes. Somone suggested it might be a kernel config problem, but it's not because it keeps recurring, no matter what I try.
No it's not normal, and I hope the folks at Xorg will resolve the issue soon... In the meantime, I use Eterm a lot.
Cheers
edudlive
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, switching to the 8.8.25 ATI drivers seems to hav worked for me, I was getting a freeze after ~2 days uptime but now I've been up for 4 days
shellcode
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goeland86 wrote:
qeldroma at least I'm not the only one having that problem.
I'm running on a laptop with ATI chipset, using the OSS radeon driver. It doesn't crash when going to a virtual console, but it crashes when I go back to X, everything freezes. Somone suggested it might be a kernel config problem, but it's not because it keeps recurring, no matter what I try.
No it's not normal, and I hope the folks at Xorg will resolve the issue soon... In the meantime, I use Eterm a lot.
Cheers

I have the same problem... running ATI drivers from the kernel... with the old 6.8.0 everything was working fine.. but now with the new 6.8.2 all freezes after I go back to X
Nerdanel
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qeldroma, what did get updated in your emerge world? (Using genlop -l or genlop suspicious-ebuild can help.) You should be able to downgrade things back to working order if you can pinpoint the problem.

xorg-x11? glibc? Drivers? qt? gtk? The kernel?
dustfinger
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure if this is the correct thread for this.
/var/log/Xorg.0.log wrote:

(WW) Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) (No such file or directory)
(WW) fglrx(0): Cannot read colourmap from VGA. Will restore with default

Are either of those two warnings antying to be concerned about? I have all power managment disabled in my kernel so I am surprised that it is looking for /dev/apm_bios. I am running gentoo on a laptop with a uxga lcd monitor. Why am I recieving the colourmap warning?

dustfinger.
Tudor Popescu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you kindly. This information is very useful for me. Great site! Thanks again! :)

Master of the Darkside
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello guys! I've just emerged xorg-x11-6.8.99.13 and it works great! Even got my via pm800 unichrome graphics to work by using the "insecure-drivers" use flag. No problems here...I fully recommend switching to the latest xorg.
M@rijn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah an new version, time to test the new version (24 hours, with min. 5 continue open and chaning windows). 6.8.99.5 gave no hang-ups so the newest is fresh for an test
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 and I've just upgraded XOrg to [~x86] 6.8.99.14. Now X doesn't start anymore and I get an error message on my graphics terminal instead:
Code:
*** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (fasttop): 0x082542e0

Any idea?

EDIT: Reverted to XOrg 6.8.99.13; it's fine now.
the_enigma
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that xf86-video-* (xf86-video-i810 for my laptop) have recently been added to portage, as part of some "modularised" Xorg packages I think. Have we got any details on what version of Xorg is required to use these? I would like to try the upgraded i810 drivers to get 3d acceleration going. Do we need a 6.8.99* version of Xorg, or maybe an even later version?
/dev/random
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_enigma wrote:
I've noticed that xf86-video-* (xf86-video-i810 for my laptop) have recently been added to portage, as part of some "modularised" Xorg packages I think. Have we got any details on what version of Xorg is required to use these? I would like to try the upgraded i810 drivers to get 3d acceleration going. Do we need a 6.8.99* version of Xorg, or maybe an even later version?

You have to use the modular version of xorg to use the modular packages meaning you have to be using a prerelease of xorg 7.0
Schmolch
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Im kinda confused about the new Xorg and what performance-increases can be expected regarding this composite-thing (transparent windows).
Im using a radeon 9250 (the entry-entry-level card from ati) with the kernel-dri-drivers.
I can use the window-shadows, but its much too slow for transparent windows.

Ok i thought, you need a much more powerfull video-card for this but then i have seen this video where they demonstrate this opengl-accelerated X (Xgl).
Well on this video you see them running X on a old powerbook and they do much more eyecandy then just window-shadows and transparent windows and its still lightning fast.
I know that was Xgl and not Xorg but on a interview that guy made i had the impression that they also put this stuff into Xorg, Or am i totally wrong?

Anyway, to sum it up, i just installed xorg monolithic from cvs and was hoping for a noticeable speed improvement regarding transparent windows, but its hard to tell if there is any speed-improvement at all.

Is this what i have to expect and is there a chance i can use transparent windows on xorg-7.0?

update: as far as i understand it, there is this new acceleration-thingie called exa that the guy from Xgl ported to Xorg. It is supposed to speed-up composite alot. I guess its not in xorg yet but coming soon :-)
kmare
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXA is already in xorg, just wait for the up coming RC1 release... most of the drivers will be updated to support exa (the basic drivers should work already)...
Schmolch
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmare wrote:
EXA is already in xorg, just wait for the up coming RC1 release... most of the drivers will be updated to support exa (the basic drivers should work already)...

It is indeed, and the radeon-driver is already supported.
http://wiki.x.org/wiki/ExaStatus says to add
Code:

Option "AccelMethod" "exa"

to the card's device-section.

It did not work for me though, xaa is still loading before the radeon-driver and then, much later, exa fails to load.
Code:

(II) Loading sub module "xaa"
(II) LoadModule: "xaa"
(II) Loading /opt/Xorg-6.7.99.1/lib/modules/libxaa.so
(II) Module xaa: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
        compiled for 6.8.99.900, module version = 1.2.0
        ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 0.7
(WW) RADEON(0): Option "AccelMethod" is not used
(WW) RADEON(0): Direct rendering disabled

Does this work for anyone else?
kmare
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait a bit longer... not all the patches are applied and there are still bugs all around. The RC1 release will have the support and the fixes afaik (reading the cvs changelog)..
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: