USB DSL MODEM
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaleidoskop
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:36 am    Post subject: USB DSL MODEM Reply with quote

Hello,

When it comed to Windows, I'm practically an expert. I have wanted a GNU/Linux for about 5 years now, but I never had a fast connection til a month ago, so I figure now is the right time. I did a lot of research about the different flavors, and finally chose Gentoo. Anyway, I feel like a total idiot. I keep reading the installation manual over and over again, and more and more is becoming clear to me.

Here's my main question. I have a Westell USB modem; the one provided by Verizon. Anyway, is it even possible to use it with Gentoo??? Here's more info. The modem can be used with an ethernet card too, it's just that my card quit working, so I took it out. Anyway, if it's not even possible with USB, I'll just get another ethernet card. However, will I need a driver for my modem? I just don't understand how any of this works....

For now, I just want to get Gentoo installed even if I can't get online; I can always use windows for that. But my goal is to totally eliminate Windows, and use Gentoo exclusively. I admire all you people that actually understand all this Linux stuff, and especially all you people who participate by writing all the free programs. I'm getting ready to start college; I plan to major in computer science. One day, I hope to contribute as well, although right now I am having problems just installing it...LOL

I think I understand everything except the /etc/fstab thing....but I don't need help with that, just more time reading.

Sorry I'm so wordy, I'm just so excited about getting ready to finally have a Linux system plus I drank several lattes :)

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help with my USB modem situation. In the mean time, I'm off to hunt for info about it myself; maybe I'll get lucky
hardcore
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest that when you configure your kernel, you make everything in the usb section a module, especially anything that pertains to usb networking. Make sure you also have hotplug emerged. You might want to also reseach your card, and see if it is supported in linux.

And welcome to linux, it may be confusing at first, but once you become accustomed, you'll wonder why things were the way they are in Windows. For example, /etc/fstab tells the kernel, what partitions to mount and what directory you want them mounted on.

Good luck and happy hunting!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: