Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
The F? Virtual Window Manager (part 2)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 28, 29, 30  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbe
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@pem
firefox does not show up in FvwmProxy... I am getting more confused as both firefox and firefox-bin are symlinks to the same mozilla-launcher.. so I'm not sure how they're different.. *investigates*
pem
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@bbe
Good catch! mozilla-launcher is a shell script that checks its input arguments to decide which prog it really have to lauch. In a way, it centralizes uses of apps based on Mozilla libraries. I think that if you just go where the installer has put the 32 bits sources (something like /usr/lib/FireFox-bin ... check the emerge content via "etcat -f firefox-bin"), you could launch the real 32 bits Firefox.
Registered user #30505
bbe
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@pem

I don't appear to have etcat. But i have had a look around into this firefox(-bin) thing, and someone suggested it might be something to do with firefox-bin being compile with an earlier version glib.
pem
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@bbe
etcat is part of app-portage/gentoolkit. It's a really neat tool to catch up what has been installed, with wich USE, ... Nice thing.

Anyway, you can check the libraries by using ldd.
Registered user #30505
bbe
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@pem

I have the same problem with running the binaries directly.. /opt/firefox/ is where i found them. Also found the executing firefox causes firefox-bin to appear as the COMMAND name in 'top', which is the same for firefox-bin, yet firefox loads a window. Still i think the problem has to do with the following message after executing firefox-bin

Code:

james@bbe2 ~ $ firefox-bin
/opt/firefox/mozilla-xremote-client: Error: Failed to find a running server.
bbe
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok.. just to let you know. When running firefox-bin in gnome i have the exact same error messages from console as i do when i try to run it in fvwm. Except that the window appears in gnome. So i have removed gnome and its partners, but still no go. So i've reached an end to what i think might be causing this :(

*Also on a side not i'm having some weird font problems with gtk (font: URW Gothic L) sometimes its bold and sometimes its not.. but thats not too much of a concern for me at the moment.
robet
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really can't find a good answer: how do you skin GTK windows in FVWM?
Jengu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

DestroyFunc PackWindowUp
AddToFunc PackWindowUp
+ I SetEnv low_w 0
+ I WindowId $3 Raise
+ I All (CurrentPage !Iconic AcceptsFocus \
        !Shaded Visible) PipeRead "test `expr $[w.y] + $[w.height]` -gt $[low_w] \
        -a `expr $[w.y] + $[w.height]` -lt $0 \
        -a \\( \\( $[w.x] -gt $1 -a $[w.x] -lt `expr $1 + $2` \\) \
            -o \\( $1 -gt $[w.x] -a $1 -lt `expr $[w.x] + $[w.width]` \\) \
            -o \\( $1 -le $[w.x] -a `expr $1 + $2` -ge `expr $[w.x] + $[w.width]` \\) \
            -o \\( $[w.x] -lt $1 -a `expr $[w.x] + $[w.width]` -gt `expr $1 + $2` \\) \
        \\) \
        && echo SetEnv low_w `expr $[w.y] + $[w.height]` \
        || echo Nop"
+ I WindowId $3 AnimatedMove keep $[low_w]p
#+ I WindowId $3 RefreshWindow

AddToFunc PackWrapperUp I NoWindow PackWindowUp $[w.y] $[w.x] $[w.width] $[w.id]
Key Up W SM PackWrapperUp

Nobody is using it because the code looks like that. I haven't tried fvwm (now trying sawfish) and I have to say that looks alot uglier than sawfish's lisp.
Arainach
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, let me be honest: I have a fully customized Fluxbox interface that I absolutely love, But there's one thing that I've been envious of in the many screenshots I've seen: Transparency. All of the fvwm screenshots I see are transparent, translucent, and utterly beautiful. But upon emerging fvwm and fvwm-themes, the default interface is hideous. I mean unbearable. Looking around, all the guides I find are on how to write your own. fvwm2rc from scratch. But I don't want to start from scratch. What the heck is the point of a theme if not to provide a starting point? How in the heck do I use the fvwm themes?
MrApples
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont worry about the fvwm-themes package, its probably best to start from scratch at some point, but the best starting point is taviso's config
Digital Storm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started using fvwm and I've been looking over configs...Just a quick question...

Does the order of "statements" matter? Or is it just a case of user preference and readability?
pem
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robet wrote:
I really can't find a good answer: how do you skin GTK windows in FVWM?

I launch gnome-settings-daemon for that.
Code:
AddToFunc InitFunction
+ I exec exec /usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon

Registered user #30505
pem
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jengu wrote:
Code:

DestroyFunc PackWindowUp
AddToFunc PackWindowUp
+ I SetEnv low_w 0
+ I WindowId $3 Raise
+ I All (CurrentPage !Iconic AcceptsFocus \
        !Shaded Visible) PipeRead "test `expr $[w.y] + $[w.height]` -gt $[low_w] \
        -a `expr $[w.y] + $[w.height]` -lt $0 \
        -a \\( \\( $[w.x] -gt $1 -a $[w.x] -lt `expr $1 + $2` \\) \
            -o \\( $1 -gt $[w.x] -a $1 -lt `expr $[w.x] + $[w.width]` \\) \
            -o \\( $1 -le $[w.x] -a `expr $1 + $2` -ge `expr $[w.x] + $[w.width]` \\) \
            -o \\( $[w.x] -lt $1 -a `expr $[w.x] + $[w.width]` -gt `expr $1 + $2` \\) \
        \\) \
        && echo SetEnv low_w `expr $[w.y] + $[w.height]` \
        || echo Nop"
+ I WindowId $3 AnimatedMove keep $[low_w]p
#+ I WindowId $3 RefreshWindow

AddToFunc PackWrapperUp I NoWindow PackWindowUp $[w.y] $[w.x] $[w.width] $[w.id]
Key Up W SM PackWrapperUp

Nobody is using it because the code looks like that. I haven't tried fvwm (now trying sawfish) and I have to say that looks alot uglier than sawfish's lisp.

I agree with you: it's a bit complicate fore sure ... but it's not Fvwm's fault. The most complicated part you've highlighted is an embedded bash's script. You can achieve good results wihtout beeing so willingly efficient. I think that the guy who has made this script is Taviso and he knows really well how to write efficient scripts. Unfortunately, this is far from being the case of everybody. So, if you're like me, I mean a bit uneasy about shell script, just call an external script/progam (in lisp, perl, ruby, python, ...) to do the job. :wink:
Registered user #30505
pem
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digital Storm wrote:
I just started using fvwm and I've been looking over configs...Just a quick question...

Does the order of "statements" matter? Or is it just a case of user preference and readability?

Mostly, it doesn't. Actually, the whole config is read and interpreted by Fvwm at start. Then, it's executed. This behaviour allows incredible things such as writting your whole config in a perl script.
Registered user #30505
manywele
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pem wrote:
This behaviour allows incredible things such as writting your whole config in a perl script.

I'm intrigued. Whatever do you mean and can you link to an example?
pem
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's by using FvwmPerl. There's an example but it's far from being impressive. I was googling around this module and I've found others on the net. Unfortunaltely, I can't get a grip on them. I will repost someting if I catch them again.
Registered user #30505
pem
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arainach wrote:
First, let me be honest: I have a fully customized Fluxbox interface that I absolutely love, But there's one thing that I've been envious of in the many screenshots I've seen: Transparency. All of the fvwm screenshots I see are transparent, translucent, and utterly beautiful. But upon emerging fvwm and fvwm-themes, the default interface is hideous. I mean unbearable. Looking around, all the guides I find are on how to write your own. fvwm2rc from scratch. But I don't want to start from scratch. What the heck is the point of a theme if not to provide a starting point? How in the heck do I use the fvwm themes?

Apparently, it creates its own entries to avoid scratching your current configuration (see the FAQ):
Code:
fvwm -f themes-rc

Registered user #30505
Darkael
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jengu wrote:

It took me a while to figure out that, but are you answering Taviso's first fvwm post!? Dude, this post is from april 2003. a lot of things have changed since then, nowadays a lot of people use fvwm, especially on gentoo (look at the screenshots threads)
And if you look closely at the code you provided, what looks complicated in the code is not fvwm config itself, but a shell script that taviso inserted in this config. It's one of the strong points of FVWM: you can use scripts (shell, perl, python, ruby...) and external programs to do advanced things (pipe menus, Xorg composite full support...)
Darkael
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arainach wrote:

Fvwm-themes is a trap, imho. You shouldn't use that. The goal of FVWM is to have your own configuration, tailored to your needs. So you have 2 options:
- Do it from scratch
- Take someone else's config (take a screenshot you like, and ask its owner to send you his config), and modify it until it fit your needs. That's the only way to have a "starting point" in fvwm.
pem
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Arainach
Yep, I agree with KarnEvil. Even, if having an already done config such as fvwm-themes seems appealing, the best way is to do it from scratch. Just take some configs as example and adadpt or develop them to your needs.

To help out on this quest, I've listed some under this thread: Your favorite FVWM Sstup. There are screenshots of the configs and, under the site, their files.

By the way, many thanks to their authors! :wink: :D
Registered user #30505
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if there is a way to make the fvwmbuttons sticky in all the screen of a desktop but one, or, in negative case, to make it to be on top of all windows but the epsxe one.
Anyone?
Xithix
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah, How do you load a theme you merged into the global dir /usr/share/fvwm/themes? Every resource I've googled just tells me how to extract the tarballs :roll: Loaded crystal (though the enotify it gives after you merge it) and it's ok, but not exactly what I'm looking for. If fvwm can replicate the kde,gnome, or even windows feels and let me customize THAT further to what I'm REALLY looking for ... then it's time to remove kde.

I'm definitely liking its speed so far, though.
pem
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Xithix
There's no theming as the window's manager your are refering to. Modifying the layout of Fvwm is achieved via its configuration script. The latest release expect a configuration file named ~/.fvwm/config by default.

If you want a good tutorial (with screenshot and codes) to help you starting something, here's my fav.: FVWM Beginners Guide
Registered user #30505
Xithix
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what's the point of fvwm-themes in portage if you can't use themes? I'm confused. Or are the themes merely config files?

Edit: And the screenshots linked on the front page! There's no simple method for downloading a theme for what those screenshots show?
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question, I have
Code:
Style * SloppyFocus, MouseFocusClickRaises

So the focus seeks the mouse and the windows raise when you click on it.
I'm trying to figure out how to make the focused window to raise automatically, without clicking it. Can anyone help me?
Thnx in advance! :D
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 14 of 30

Jump to: