New reiser4 setup not mounting /usr /home /opt partitions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ck42
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: New reiser4 setup not mounting /usr /home /opt partitions Reply with quote

Sort of in the middle of a transistion to R4 on a separate drive.

After creating the R4 partitions, I copied everthing over to their repective location on the R4 drive from the R3 drive....edited the fstab on the R4 drive and got GRUB going (SATA drive -> after a huge fuss).

So....during boot, I see a bunch of errors popping up. After getting to a cli, I notice that the /usr /home /opt dir's don't exist. BUT, I *can* manually mount the /dev/sdaX(/Y) partitions and browse them...so they exist and have all the copied files.

The entry for them in fstab looks like the other R4 partition entries...nothing special.

**speaking of - If anyone has comments about what the R4 fstab line entries should look like (options, parameters) I'd love to hear them.

Is there some reason why the other R4 entries would mount and NOT these three ? :?: :?
squeegy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it would be useful to post your /etc/fstab and any specific errors generated while the system is booting. Just run dmesg to see the startup stuff and redirect it to a file for our viewing pleasure.
ck42
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

definately would've posting them......BUT, the system won't run X as it is right now. So, I'm having to post this from another box. :(

EDIT:

Ok...I got it. STOOOPID mistake. Don't even want to say what I did.

...oh well...for the sake of the poor other saps that may do the same thing.

First:

I forgot to actually CREATE the frelling /usr /home /opt directories in the / directory. Kinda hard for the system to mount them when they don't even exist. :oops:

Second:

When I copied over the old reiser3 /home /var /opt etc contents to the new reiser4 /home /var /opt etc partitions, I put their contents WITHIN a folder called "home", "var" "usr" etc.

So when the partitions were mounted, the /usr directory contained 1 folder named "usr" which then contained the contents. :oops: :roll:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: