long kde install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stir_frey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: long kde install Reply with quote

I recently started installing kde by entering "emerge kde". It has now been installing for over 8 hours. I figure it's still installing since info keeps scrolling on the screen. My connection is a pretty quick dsl connection. I forget the exact speed, but I know I've pulled down large (600+ MB) iso images faster than this.

So my question is, Is this normal or is there a more intelligent way of doing this? Different mirror, different way to tell it to install? This is only my third attempt at installing Gentoo so I'm still really green.

Thanks for the help.
Florianbur
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I am as new as you are to this, I would that this is pretty normal.

Emerge --pretend kde would have warned you :)

kde consists of many many packages. I think that you are installing everything now. Even the educational games for 8 to 13 year olds. (I think). What I did, I just emerged kdebase for the beginning. I couldn't check it out yet, as I don't have a working X Server, but I think that is like the only thing that you need mandatory for kde, or at least want with a very high probability. That was by itself some 49 packages (I think). Can't tell you how long it took, as it did it over night, but it does take a while. A few hours I'd say...

Now emerging all of it... chooo... don't know how much space it takes, hope your partition is big enough

Anyway, there are pretty good howtos on this, just follow the links at the end of the install guide (handbook).
BlackEdder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The long time it takes has nothing to do with your downlload speed. Your computer is compiling all the source code for kde right now and the time this takes is mostly dependent on your cpu speed.
stir_frey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s kinda what I was figuring, but wow.... Lesson learned.

I haven't gotten to the end of the install man yet, so I suppose it servers me right.

Thanks for the input.
Florianbur
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh between, there is from time to time a line that tells you how far he is, something like "doing now blafadads (56 of 79)". Of course the number isn't that accurate, as the size of the packages is quite different (can be quite different), but at least it does give you an idea where it is...

However, the individual packages different size also means that it can take a while till you get that line... if it merges some small driver, you'll two lines (the one of the driver and the next one) in a matter of seconds, if it does kdebase, you won't get that line for over an hour I guess...

You should see when downloading big packages though. So when a large package is downloading, just look on top of it, and you'll be a bit smarter...

You can stop it with ctrl c as well. Best do it while he is downloading something where you see the thingy above on top. (if you want, that is)
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic has been discussed many times in the forums, so there is no need to open a new threads. And obviously, it's not an internet connection matter, but a CPU one.

Moved to Duplicate Threads.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: