View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hocmin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:48 am    Post subject: Can't Run Gnome After Fresh Install Reply with quote

Fresh install of Gentoo, used the stage 2 tarball. No apparent problems. Used the Gnome Configuration HOWTO to try and set up Gnome. After it finally installed all the packages I ran startx and I got this from Xorg.0.log:

Cannot run in framebuffer mode. Please specify all busIDs for all framebuffer devices

Not really sure what I would have that requires framebuffering. I did a little searching and some people seemed to think I needed to update my video drivers. Tried to run the binary from nvidia's website (I got a Geforce) but got errors about a conflict with rivafb and some other stuff about having files that weren't compiled with the kernel or something.

I'm really confused on what to do. I'm reading up on the Xorg and Nvidia guide but I'm hesitant to actually do what they say because I honestly have no idea what's wrong. I don't really recall it being this hard the first time I installed gentoo a few years back.

Can anyone help me out?
[UK]Superdude
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you compile your kenel by hand?

Are you using the framebuffer? ie for bootsplash (or splash utils)?
Are you using the vesa driver for the framebuffer? It sounds like you may have compiled the rivafb driver. Don't use this driver, it is old and outdated, I think it also conflicts with the nvidia drivers.
Also make sure you have 'nvidia' in the drivers section of xorg.conf (sounds like you do anyway....)
hocmin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the genkernel option. Didn't make any changes through the menu, just "genkernel --menuconfig all" to make sure I had the proper file system support then compiled.

I didn't have any parameter in grub.conf about framebuffering. I went ahead and added vga=788 like I saw in the install documentation. The screen looks a little better (I was getting a thin blue bar on the top before), but still the same error when I run startx.

I honestly have no idea what driver I'm using or how to find out. Since I do have a Nvidia grahics card, I did "emerge nvidia-kernel" when I was setting it up. Could you tell me how I check and how I'd go about removing it? I'm guessing something to do with modprobe, but I've never done much with that. Also, in the during boot up the "Starting pci hotplugging" throws about 10 errors, all the same

Quote:

... can't load module rivafb
misser kernel or user mode driver rivafb

And, as of now I have no xorg.conf file. Guess I should go ahead and read the Xorg documentation and set that up? (also as a side note, in the Xorg error long one of the last thing it says before bomging is New driver is "nv")

Thanks again for any help. Still hoping that I can get my gentoo system back up and running :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: