View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paladin-zero
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: .xsession isnt being used Reply with quote

I've got a working X.org/KDE setup, installed according to the gentoo desktop instructions. Now I am trying to get the gpg-agent to start by adding a line to my ~/.xsession file. I dont think .xsession is being read, either when I startx from the console or I boot into runlevel 5 and log in.

To start, could anyone give this newbie a suggestion on a command to put in .xsession to check that it is being read? I thought jut "xterm" would do it, but now I don't know.

Thanks!
paladin-zero
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also noticed that I cant run "kdm -nodeamon" from the console as root. I have read that the problem may be that the runtime linker is not finding the shared Qt or KDE libraries. I think my .xsession file is not being looked for because the kde kdm/Xsession file is not being run, but I don't understand why that might be.
beesea
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try calling it .xinitrc. Note that .xinitrc won't be read by kdm though.
georwell
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to start gpg-agent that way anymore! Caleb and the KDE team have already supplied a much better solution. This only works for 3.3 though...

Quote:
KDE now also supports startup and shutdown scripts in the /usr/kde/3.3/env and /usr/kde/3.3/shutdown directories. The ebuilds will install some generic scripts in there for you and you can comment lines out if you like to turn on ssh-agent or gpg-agent if you so desire.

Works fine for me!
ctford0
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

georwell wrote:
No need to start gpg-agent that way anymore! Caleb and the KDE team have already supplied a much better solution. This only works for 3.3 though...

Quote:
KDE now also supports startup and shutdown scripts in the /usr/kde/3.3/env and /usr/kde/3.3/shutdown directories. The ebuilds will install some generic scripts in there for you and you can comment lines out if you like to turn on ssh-agent or gpg-agent if you so desire.

Works fine for me!

the problem with this method is that it starts it for everyone...

paladin-zero, here is the solution to your problem. make sure you have the correct items in your xsession file. mine looks like this

Code:

bash-2.05b$ cat .xsession
#!/bin/sh

source /usr/local/bin/gpg-agent-start.sh

/usr/kde/3.3/bin/startkde

where im using the gpg-agent-start.sh script that you can find on the net. now you want to make sure the .xsession file is executable so

Code:

chmod u+x .xsession

now when kdm boots up you want to choose the custom session. this will make it look at your .xsession file instead of the /etc/X11/Sessions/kde-3.3.0 file.

chris
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: