Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] -- ALSA looks good but still no sound!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Antum
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] -- ALSA looks good but still no sound! Reply with quote

Hello all,

I ummed and arred about posting this because it's probably getting a bit tired hearing about ALSA problems especially when I think it's something basic I have done wrong.
I've been working on getting sound working for the past two days but haven't had any luck.

I have compiled the kernel with the relevant sound modules, and I followed the gentoo alsa guide word for word and alsasound says it is booting up fine, no troubles there. So I check out the alsamixer to have a look at sound levels and it says they're all set to MAX and none of them are muted.

I emerged Amarok and tried playing songs through there but still no sound. I've checked things like cabling and amps and speakers but they're all fine.

Should I post some code from files?

Has anyone got any ideas? I've read lots of posts and people have similar problems but they;re just not the same... the fact that everything looks like its working sweet leads me to beleive it is something small I haven't tried..

Thanks all..

Last edited by Antum on Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jimboberella
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are the sound modules actually getting loaded?
Antum
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm such a newbie, is this how you check ?

Code:

bash-2.05b# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P
snd-pcm-oss            35304   0  (unused)
snd-mixer-oss          11992   0  [snd-pcm-oss]
snd-seq-midi            3392   0  (autoclean) (unused)
snd-via82xx            12740   1  (autoclean)
snd-pcm                56840   1  (autoclean) [snd-pcm-oss snd-via82xx]
snd-ac97-codec         47132   0  (autoclean) [snd-via82xx]
snd-page-alloc          5880   0  (autoclean) [snd-via82xx snd-pcm]
snd-mpu401-uart         3264   0  (autoclean) [snd-via82xx]
snd-rawmidi            13764   0  (autoclean) [snd-seq-midi snd-mpu401-uart]
snd-seq-oss            24864   0  (unused)
snd-seq-midi-event      3552   0  [snd-seq-midi snd-seq-oss]
snd-seq                34544   2  [snd-seq-midi snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi-event]
snd-timer              14404   0  [snd-pcm snd-seq]
snd-seq-device          3904   0  [snd-seq-midi snd-rawmidi snd-seq-oss snd-seq]
snd                    32420   0  [snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss snd-seq-midi snd-via82xx snd-pcm snd-ac97-codec snd-mpu401-uart snd-rawmidi snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq snd-timer snd-seq-device]
nvidia               1963136   0  (unused)
paranerd
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: ALSA looks good but still no sound! Reply with quote

Antum wrote:
I ummed and arred about posting this because it's probably getting a bit tired hearing about ALSA problems

I'll check back tonight, Antum, when I get home - that is if you're still having problems then. My gentoo machine is there and maybe I'll be able to offer something more practical than:

I don't think you should hesitate to ask for help about ALSA. A lot of us are having problems with ALSA., as you noted.

Anyway, I just wanted to quickly say that. Later.
chance2105
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Amarok ... Reply with quote

I see you tried Amarok. If I'm not mistaken, that's a KDE application. To get it to work, I bet the problem lies in your aRts setup -- check to make sure the aRts server is starts at startup, and test it. (There's a quick small 'test' button in the aRts pages of the Control Center.)

Other than that, to check to see if your ALSA modules are working, I'd try using an application that doesn't route through a sound server (eg aRts). Try using XMMS using the Alsa or the OSS sound plugins. If XMMS works and Amarok doesn't then you have a test case to whittle down the problem.
Antum
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I looked at the aRts Control Tool and as far as I can tell it is all ok,
However when I tried you're idea of using XMMS I set the output plugin to libALSA and tried to play a sound file... I got this error:

Quote:
Please Check That... Your soundcard is configured properly, You have the correct output plugin selected, No other program is blocking the soundcard

I tried each output plugin (except for diskwriter) and configured them in different ways. I made sure I didn't have amarok running in the background anywhere...

So this is the first error I get about ALSA not working, what could it mean because I can do this with no error... and also no sound.

Code:

bash-2.05b# aplay /home/Shared/Maroon\ 5-She\ Will\ Be\ Loved.mp3
Playing raw data '/home/Shared/Maroon 5-She Will Be Loved.mp3' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono

If you have any more ideas, no matter how simple or complex please let me know
Jakub
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Testing ALSA with amarok is not a good idea. I couldn't get it to play anything with the gstreamer plugin when I installed it (it turned out I needed to install various gst-plugin-* packages). Amarok (the latest versions, 1.1beta2 and cvs) uses either arts (bad), gstreamer (better but still not good) or xine (the best) plugins (I'm not sure about earlier versions).

The best way to test it with aplay (as you did above). Actually I do not know why I'm writing this since I have no idea what you could be doing wrong. You do seem to have the modules loaded (maybe check if you've chosen the correct ones for your sound card?) and you unmuted all the mixers...

I take it for granted that you're sure that you're speakers are connected correctly? Does sound work in that other (evil) OS that you maybe have also installed?

EDIT: aplay will not play mp3 files (although I do not know if it should refuse to work or play garbage). Try it with a wav file.
EDIT2: Btw, can your sound card do hardawe mixing? If not, then that may be the problem (that something blocked the sound card). That would be the best explanation I could come up with.
Antum
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Thanks for the input,

Well i wasn't sure if the modules were loaded properly so i went into
Code:
/etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.4

and added snd-via82xx

now the output from lsmod looks a bit different

Code:

bash-2.05b# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P
nvidia               1963136   0  (unused)
snd-via82xx            12740   0
snd-pcm                56840   0  [snd-via82xx]
snd-timer              14404   0  [snd-pcm]
snd-ac97-codec         47132   0  [snd-via82xx]
snd-page-alloc          5880   0  [snd-via82xx snd-pcm]
snd-mpu401-uart         3264   0  [snd-via82xx]
snd-rawmidi            13764   0  [snd-mpu401-uart]
snd-seq-device          3904   0  [snd-rawmidi]
snd                    32420   0  [snd-via82xx snd-pcm snd-timer snd-ac97-codecsnd-mpu401-uart snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device]

Is this better or worse than before?
And now when I use aplay, to play something simple like a WAVE file it takes ages to do anything and then it says it is playing the sound but nothing happens and then it quits.

This is the output.
Code:

bash-2.05b# aplay /usr/kde/3.3/share/sounds/KDE_Dialog_Appear.wav
Playing WAVE '/usr/kde/3.3/share/sounds/KDE_Dialog_Appear.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 22050 Hz, Mono

I have no other OS to test this on, but when I was using windows it worked, I can test the amp and speakers using an external cd player or turntables and they work fine, my cable is firmly plugged into the output socket on the soundcard and leads straight to the amplifier and is plugged into the correct AUX input.

Thanks for help.
Jakub
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a system with a 2.4 kernel and although sound worked sometimes some app blocked it. What helped was reloading the modules (I just did
Code:

alsaconf

from the command line).
But if you've rebooted and it still doesn't work then that won't help you.

You can also put the snd-pcm-oss module in your modules autoload file (I believe it's for oss emulation but again that's not your problem).

(I have a sb live and it just worked, other cards are more problematic it would seem).
Antum
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakub: I'm not sure how to check if it can do hardware mixing ?

Where can I check for alsa errors or warnings, because the only place I've been able to find one is when trying to play an mp3 through XMMS...

I'm really stumped for ideas :cry:
Jakub
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure where you can check it (ALSA's docs are non-existant or outdated or confusing). If it's an onboard sound card, it probably can't do hardware mixing but it should be able to play one source of sound at a time. And you are sure that you have the VT82C686 card?

In that case someone more knowledgeable (or someone who has that card) will have to help you.

As for alsa errors, in my case they were displayed in the console (it happened once when the alsaconf script put some strange options in /etc/modules.d/alsa). But when the card was blocked by something else, nothing was displayed, and e.g. aplay did nothing, just waited. When it was unblocked, it finally played the file.

Here's ALSA's page for that sound card, maybe youll find something there:
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=VIA&card=&chip=via82c686a&module=via82xx
strider3700
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious what kernel you are running? My sound worked beautifully forever. Yesterday I went to 2.4.27 and tried installing mythTV with it's extra modules and now no more sound. I rolled back to 2.4.26 and still no sound so I'm not sure what I've borked up.

Now that I think about it it's probably not an issue with the kernel since my old one doesn't fix it. I wonder what other modules could need rebuilt
strider3700
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok I ran the alsaconf command as root as described in
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=224769&highlight=alsa
I have sound. The volume setting has changed to be really quiet and I get brutal frapping now and again out of the channel that wasn't there before but it's a start
Antum
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do i check what version of alsa-drivers I have emerged ?
strider3700
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge -s alsa-driver will tell you what you have and what the newest is
Antum
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done lots of things since my last post, and I've 'sort of' got sound working, but not really. It makes this really wierd buzzing sound when nothing is playing and then when I play an mp3 in XMMS it sounds REALLY distorted and quiet...
I get the feeling I'm almost there but not quite.

Here's what I did to get from no sound to some crap sound:

Started off by looking at list of stuff in my computer:
Code:
bash-2.05b# lspci | grep -i audio
0000:00:07.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
0000:00:0b.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI (rev 02)

After cringing I realised there a two listings for Audio Controllers... and one was a PCI one... Man im an idiot...I thought to myself that it is more likely the PCI one is getting used.

I then read that link Jakub posted and went to the different page for my Ensoniq 5880, and after searching google for the chipset I found what I wanted, the ens1371 module.
I read on the installation page that I should be able to type:
Code:

bash-2.05b# modinfo soundcore

To check that I have the sound core module built in (or however you say it) to my kernel, it turned out I had it 'built in' like a * instead of M... I really am an idiot, so i corrected that, rebuilt my kernel and copied over the old one then rebooted. (Also checked I had the Ensoniq checked as a M as well)

I followed the Gentoo Alsa guide by replacing all my via82xx with snd-ens1371. It now looked and felt like I was doing something right, I unmuted all the channels using alsamixer.

Now I'm up to the stage I described at the beginning of this post. I wrote all that boring stuff out for two reasons 1: to show you how silly I am and 2: just in case someone else is just as silly :)

So... Can anyone help me out with this new problem... should I say this post is solved and just add to another ALSA problem post or carry on in here?

Thanks!

PS: aplay still doesn't do anything, doesn't even make distorted sounds
Antum
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaahhh!!!
jst checked alsamixer again and the sound levels were turned right back down, I put them up and now it plays mp3's undistorted but there is a hang of a lot of line noise or something,, its just a high pitch hum all the time.. like something is turned on full bore..

Thanks,
Antum
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOLVED!!!!!!

Yay...
So to get rid of the line noise I had to mute the IEC958 channel in alsamixer.

It works sweet, I can now get on to the other features of linux I want to install,
Thanks for everyones help and input I really appreciate it, and I hope people who are having problems with ALSA can learn something from my troubles.

Um, how do I put solved in the subject like those other solved posts?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: