setting system clock to hardware clock
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
liquidice5
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: setting system clock to hardware clock Reply with quote

when I am booting off the LiveCD to install gentoo, it hangs every time on the "setting system clock to hardware clock [UTC] line of the bootup process

i know it has worked before because it used to work, and i was having trouble getting it to detect the hard drives, but i have had it detect the hd and also the clock worked (i changed nothing between the working for both and this problem, except for the fact that I called for a reboot, and it hung on something (dont remember what, might have been the setting system clock to hardware clock, so i hard reset it)

any ideas would be greatly appreciated
timezone
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of hardware are you dealing with? how fast a processor?

Which live cd are you using? which release? minimal or universal ?

Describe the details of the hang - i.e. does it just freeze up, or does the monitor go black, or does the computer just turn off?

If you have any other bootable cds at all throw them in and see of they will come up. This will help establish if it is a hardware problem or a problem with your cd. Also you could try the cd in a different computer and see if it loads completely.
inode77
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

liquidice5 the date needs not to set exactly. If you're not off too (in the minutes) much just go on and do it after the first successfull reboot.
liquidice5
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:43 am    Post subject: more info Reply with quote

its a p3 600
6 gig drive
512 ram

liveCD 2004.2
universal

it doesnt so much freeze, as it just sat there in the boot up screen, i could type whatever, it didnt matter, it sat at the boot loader screen

it never gets to a point where i could just ignore it, its part of the boot process, trying to load the hardware clock info into system time

cd loads completely in any other computer, computer will load windows (what used to be on the hd)

the date/time was set right, it just couldnt seem to load it into "system time"

anyway, i am gonna try to completely reset the bios, by removing the battery for a while and see if the problem goes away
inode77
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can boot a knoppix, use this (alternative gentoo installation guide).
Are you really sure it's the clock? (Maybe using gentoo-nofb and all the no.... options (acpi and apic are hot candidates) will help in your case)
I've never heard of a problem like this that was caused by the hw clock, normally it's acpi/apic/fb
liquidice5
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: works Reply with quote

i just took the battery out, let the system completely reset, and now im on my way, compiling the kernel etc

thnx for trying to help
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: