View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have posted a sample FAQ section collection thread here.

EDIT:
Mooman wrote:
1) How does stuff get written up as a FAQ (is there any group discussion someplace? How do we know if a FAQ is being worked on?)

Start a thread somewhere (in a particular specialty forum if that makes sense, in DT&T otherwise). Prefacing the thread title with "FAQ: " might make them easier to find.
Quote:
2) How does one request (or just suggest) a specific FAQ?

Once we get the categories hammered out, post with a link to the category post that you think your FAQ belongs in. Or join one of the FAQ category creation threads like that one I mentioned above.
carambola5
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 6:25 am    Post subject: phpBB not the place for a FAQ Reply with quote

Why, exactly, must the FAQ be written in phpBB?

It seems to me that, although it does all the housekeeping for you, phpBB and the underlying BBCode is too restrictive for an all-encompassing FAQ. Things like:
  • Easier Navigation
  • Searching within the FAQ by default
  • Full advantage of HTML and possibly DHTML, not to mention scripting
  • More customizable interface per user (if we so choose to allow/write it)

I don't know how much sway we have with the "guys on top" here at Gentoo, but do you think it'd be possible to get some webspace elsewhere on the server?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: phpBB not the place for a FAQ Reply with quote

carambola5 wrote:
Why, exactly, must the FAQ be written in phpBB?

Because the project that kanuslupus referred to as the GLKB has stalled, and we think that it would be better to start creating something, even if it has to eventually get reintegrated into the GLKB once it does get off the ground. Once the content and categorization exists, maybe it will motivate more people to work on other and better delivery architectures and formatting methods.

EDIT: It's been three months since knowledge base: how-to documents via commandline? was started, and although there have been a lot of ideas and opinions floated around, there has been very little action. It would be great if the wind got back into the sails of that effort, but in the meantime, we're going to make do with what we have.
bazik
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
Eventually, the FAQs will probably "fall off" of the first page in the forum. Each page in a forum can contain 51 threads. After this thread and the TOC, that leaves 49 threads on the first page. Essentially, this would allow for 49 "Topic" threads to be visible on the first page of the forum. Most likely, this will be more than enough.

Hi kanuslupus!
I am Moderator of a assembly programming board and we also have a "FAQ" forum. But to avoid the limitation of only a few threads visible on the first page (and remember that users can customize how many threads they want to see) we made a little hack and auto generate the text of a sticky post in this forum out of the thread titles.
For example the thread

Code:

"Documentation::Where to find help?"

Becomes to

Code:

Documentation:

- Where to find help

You can take a look at the FAQ forum here and at the FAQ index thread here.

If you are interested in the source code, just contact me via email :)

regards,
bazik
Vaste
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that forums aren't really the ideal way for an faq (as they are now), but it's a good startingplace and the forums here are indeed very active.

I think the FAQ can become a great source to pluck ripe faqs for the cli help-app.

I would personally like to have all the info searchable locally so I can do cpu-expensive regex searches or whatever. It'd be nice with a portage-like update too (like emerge sync).
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: So i've written a faq answer Reply with quote

phypor wrote:
how do i post it for approval for entry into the main faq?

I see your two for KC8 and KC9. Basically, post it to DT&T, give it a day or so, and if nothing has happened to it (no new posts, no feedback, nothing), then send a private message to a moderator with a link to it.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: So i've written a faq answer Reply with quote

rac wrote:
I see your two for KC8 and KC9.
These were originally posted to this thread. I split them to DT&T.

They were moved to FAQ before I got around to mentioning it. I did modify one title slightly so it would fit.
cynric
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GF16 needs updating. Qpkg is now deprecated and located in "/usr/share/doc/gentoolkit-0.2.1_rc4/deprecated/qpkg/qpkg". New syntax using equery would be nice too.
kallamej
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cynric wrote:
GF16 needs updating. Qpkg is now deprecated and located in "/usr/share/doc/gentoolkit-0.2.1_rc4/deprecated/qpkg/qpkg". New syntax using equery would be nice too.

The problem with equery is that it doesn't output exactly what we want. The equivalent syntax would be
Code:
equery -C -q l

but you'll get also the installed version and an informational line (using equery form stable gentoolkit).
cynric
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. That's about what I was getting with equery. Just went with the qpkg script myself.
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems to work for taming the output of equery into something suitable for a world file:
Code:
equery -C -q list | cut -d ' ' -f 5 | sed -n 's/-[0-9]\{1,\}.*$//p'

It `cut`s the package name and version from the equery info, and then removes the version number. (The -n and p at the end of the sed command print only lines that match, so we don't get blank or garbled lines due to other equery output.)
Stolz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think FAQ GF4 should include information about the parallel-fetch feature included in Portage 2.1 or newer .
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: