Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Help with mplayer.conf Settings (ao and vo)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chadkeffer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Help with mplayer.conf Settings (ao and vo) Reply with quote

I am looking for help with my mplayer.conf

Here is my configuration:

Kernel 2.6.9-rc2
ALSA
Arts
KDE 3.3
Xorg X11 6.8.0

I was wondering what I should set the following things to (their current settings are shown):

Code:
vo=xv
ao=arts

Thanks!

Last edited by chadkeffer on Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total
thepi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's the problem with the current config? is it working? if yes, why change it?!?

i mean, did you even try to search for some info on the forums prior to posting this?

pi~

p.s.: i'd suggest trying out alsa as output source. ao=alsa, but that depends on which version of mplayer you use. arts is a bit laggy on some systems. again, if it works, don't change it.
chadkeffer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Id suggest trying out alsa as output source. ao=alsa, but that depends on which version of mplayer you use. arts is a bit laggy on some systems. again, if it works, don't change it.

I suppose I should be more specific with my setup:
P4 2.0GHz with ATI Radeon 8500
Kernel 2.6.9-rc2
ALSA 1.06
Arts 1.3.0
KDE 3.3.0
Xorg X11 6.8.0-r1 (using generic/built-in ATI drivers)
mplayer 1.0_pre5-r3

"Working" and "working the best way possible" aren't necessarily the same thing (else we'd all be using some pre-packaged distro instead of Gentoo).

I realize that a number of different settings might actually work, I was looking for the best ones. I use ALSA so ao=alsa sounds logical, but then I use Arts too, so ao=arts also sound correct. Then ALSA provides OSS compatibility, so ao=oss wouldn't necessarily be wrong either. All three would work, but I was looking for the best one based on my setup.

As for the vo= setting, xv, x11, and fbdev/fbdev2 all sound like possible candidates. I use Radeon Framebuffer for console mode, but I'm not sure that means I should use fbdev since most of the time I'm using mplayer is under X.

Searching usually works, except the search string 'mplayer ao' returns no results, 'mplayer' returns 150, and 'mplayer.conf' returns 191 (some with hundreds of replies). Sometimes it's easier to ask for a new needle than to search the haystack.

I apologize for inconveniencing you. I just thought it was a simple/quick question. :(
Jakub
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say 'ao alsa' is better then 'ao arts' (arts introduces unnecessary overhead) and 'vo xv' is the best video output since it's got hardware acceleration (unless you can get one written specifically for your graphics card to work; the vidix vo is also fast, or so say the docs, but for me it doesn't really work). Yeah, check the mplayer docs, there are some suggestions which outputs are better/worse.
evoweiss
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Help with mplayer.conf Settings (ao and vo) Reply with quote

chadkeffer wrote:
I am looking for help with my mplayer.conf

Well, if you've got alsa, I'd use it as arts is just terrible and can get laggy. The main thing is to figure out what the alsa configuration flag is (the mplayer people keep changing it for some unknown reason). Also, if you use mplayer, you probably want software mixing enabled via dmix. My current setting is ao=alsa1x:dmixer.

Not sure if this helps, but...

Best,

Alex
chunderbunny
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vo=xv is usually the best option since it uses hardware accelerations... however if you want to use all the fancy transparency effects in xorg 6.8 then you have to use vo=x11. Unfortunately using vo=x11 on my system in full screen maxes ouy my CPU and plays really choppy, so I stick with vo=xv and turn off the special effects for now. vo=x11 is great for taking screen shots though. :wink:
chadkeffer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've set it up as

Code:
ao=alsa
vo=xv

and everything appears to be working well.

Thanks for all your help!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: