Got a couple of questions.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davasoft420
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 11:34 pm    Post subject: Got a couple of questions. Reply with quote

8O first off when i was compiling my kernel it said that my processor type was p3/celeron group, I have an athlon xp 2000+. i downloaded the tarball for athlon xp. :? is this normal,did i download the worng tarball by mistake, or maybe the link the site is goofed? Next is that when compiling the kernel what is the difference between enabling and making a module? i enabled everything i needed and mad the scsi cdrom, etc as it said in the installation for my ide cd burner. and last but not least when editing /etc/fstab it keeps giving me errors. how do i edit it i am in /usr/src/linux, should i be int /etc? i found the fstab file in /etc but i dont know how to edit it. i thought that export config_protect="". emerge --help config proved no real help(maybe due to the fact that my girl was buggin me to get off the computer). thanks guys ahead of time :!:
reves
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
first off when i was compiling my kernel it said that my processor type was p3/celeron group, I have an athlon xp 2000+.

Did you chose the proccessor type in menuconfig?

Quote:
Next is that when compiling the kernel what is the difference between enabling and making a module?

A module can be loaded into the kernel or unloaded while using the system.

Quote:
and last but not least when editing /etc/fstab it keeps giving me errors

What are the errors? You should be able to just type
Code:
nano -w /etc/fstab

Quote:
AOL is quite possibly the worst software ever!!

I used AOL (3.0 through 6.0) for over 6 years with no problems. Of course I was just leaching off my Mom's connection and I would never use it if I had ot pay for it, but it's not as bad as everyone says it is. I can already feel the posts comming....I guess I asked for it.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Got a couple of questions. Reply with quote

davasoft420 wrote:
8O first off when i was compiling my kernel it said that my processor type was p3/celeron group, I have an athlon xp 2000+. i downloaded the tarball for athlon xp. :? is this normal,did i download the worng tarball by mistake, or maybe the link the site is goofed?

You don't have the wrong kernel sources. I believe it's just that p3/celeron is the default for the kernel sources. When you do a make menuconfig as root in the /usr/src/linux directory, you will want to press enter to select the Processor Type and Features category and then press enter where is says p3/celeron to change that to an athlon xp.

Quote:
Next is that when compiling the kernel what is the difference between enabling and making a module? i enabled everything i needed and mad the scsi cdrom, etc as it said in the installation for my ide cd burner.

This is highly debatable. There are many opinions. The basic point is that when you enable something it's compiled statically (read: permanently) into the kernel. When you compile something as a module you can load or unload that module as needed. There are questions as to which is faster and which is more memory efficient. For most users it boils down to compiling things as modules that you want to test and compiling things into the kernel because you know you are going to use them all the time.

Quote:
and last but not least when editing /etc/fstab it keeps giving me errors. how do i edit it i am in /usr/src/linux, should i be int /etc? i found the fstab file in /etc but i dont know how to edit it. i thought that export config_protect="". emerge --help config proved no real help(maybe due to the fact that my girl was buggin me to get off the computer). thanks guys ahead of time :!:

There is also quite a bit of debate on editors in the *nix world. nano is the default editor for gentoo. If you type
Code:
nano -w /etc/fstab
as root you'll be able to edit the file. Alternatively, you can be in the /etc directory and just type
Code:
nano -w fstab
to access the file using a relative pathname. Setting the CONFIG_PROTECT environment variable to "" will allow all your configuration files to be overwritten during an emerge. The /etc/fstab file should be different for each system and cannot be determined by portage.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and then a discussion about AOL broke out, which has gone to AOL is quite possibly the worst software ever!.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: