Upgrading CPU / Motherboard
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wppa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Upgrading CPU / Motherboard Reply with quote

So I have been messing around with Gentoo for about a year now (a confirmed slackware convert) on my "ancient pc", a Celeron 400. After my Doom3 upgrades to my Gaming/Firefox-browsing PC I now have an athlon-xp 1800, motherboard, and psu to play with. So I'm considering putting them into my gentoo rig and am trying to find a way to do that with the least amount of effort.

My current make.conf is setup as :
CFLAGS="-O3 -march=pentium2 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"

Without doing a fresh install (which is an option, although my pride would force me to start from a stage-1 tarball), what are my options?

Thanks in advance!
shade266
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i would most certainly recompile the kernel with the proper processor family specified.
also, i would keep CFLAGS for the athlon xp pretty close to conservative. the overzealousness in CFLAGS settings can be counter productive and it really isn't something to be messing with if you don't have the proper knowledge on the CFLAGS functions.
Not implying anything just stating a generalized opinion
wppa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a followup. I had issues compiling a "athlon-xp" kernel on the celeron . I am guessing a i686 genkernel might not have had the same issues. (though I didn't actually try it)

To make a long story short I just ended up taking my data off and doing a clean install. In retrospect, contemplating the re-install was actually alot worse than the actual install itself, especially when the "new" machines was so much faster at compiling.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: