Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
queen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevensheehy wrote:
queen wrote:
You mean to use ulimit and get info on what happens when it tries to connect to a user? usually if i launch from command line linuxdcpp there are no errors. Sometimes an error of address already in use is thrown and then i know i have to restart the program, because in such cases it doesn't connect to any user.

As for encoding, i use the default one. which is probably used by the hub too. There are very few users with special characters encoding. But, that's a good idea. I will ask the operator of the hub about character encoding, just to be sure i am on the safe side.

Not ulimit, that's only good if it crashes. I'm referring to compiling in debug mode then running from command line.

It's not just the hub's encoding, but each person on the hub can have a different encoding. The program can only make a best guess and assume that most people on the hub have the same encoding. The default encoding is that of your filesystem, so if you're using utf8 on your machine it probably is not the choice you want in ldcpp. Instead, if you visit a lot of northern or western European hubs, then choose CP1252.

I use mainly hubs that are in usa. Except one from sweden. To what i should change then? My default charset in linuxdc is "system default". I never played with the advanced setting because i didn't know what to change there.

Where can i find the character encoding of my system? in firefox i have western iso 8859-1. on the shell i have default.

I will emerge again linuxdc with debug mode.
stevensheehy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

queen wrote:
stevensheehy wrote:
queen wrote:
You mean to use ulimit and get info on what happens when it tries to connect to a user? usually if i launch from command line linuxdcpp there are no errors. Sometimes an error of address already in use is thrown and then i know i have to restart the program, because in such cases it doesn't connect to any user.

As for encoding, i use the default one. which is probably used by the hub too. There are very few users with special characters encoding. But, that's a good idea. I will ask the operator of the hub about character encoding, just to be sure i am on the safe side.

Not ulimit, that's only good if it crashes. I'm referring to compiling in debug mode then running from command line.

It's not just the hub's encoding, but each person on the hub can have a different encoding. The program can only make a best guess and assume that most people on the hub have the same encoding. The default encoding is that of your filesystem, so if you're using utf8 on your machine it probably is not the choice you want in ldcpp. Instead, if you visit a lot of northern or western European hubs, then choose CP1252.

I use mainly hubs that are in usa. Except one from sweden. To what i should change then? My default charset in linuxdc is "system default". I never played with the advanced setting because i didn't know what to change there.

Where can i find the character encoding of my system? in firefox i have western iso 8859-1. on the shell i have default.

If you're visiting USA and Swedish hubs, you want CP1252 (AKA Windows version of ISO 8859-1. The majority of western DC hubs will have this encoding. To find the encoding of your system, run the locale command and look at the LC_CTYPE variable.
queen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevensheehy wrote:
queen wrote:
stevensheehy wrote:
queen wrote:

If you're visiting USA and Swedish hubs, you want CP1252 (AKA Windows version of ISO 8859-1. The majority of western DC hubs will have this encoding. To find the encoding of your system, run the locale command and look at the LC_CTYPE variable.

Thanks. ran locale command and i found LC_CTYPE=POSIX
I changed now to CP1252. after i will restart the program, I"ll inform you if there is an improvement. When it was with system default and debug mode i didn't get any errors in the console. Yet it takes a long time to connect to the users.
BTW, with the new version of linuxdc the slot issue was solved? I still don't get the "no slots available".
stevensheehy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

queen wrote:
I changed now to CP1252. after i will restart the program, I"ll inform you if there is an improvement. When it was with system default and debug mode i didn't get any errors in the console. Yet it takes a long time to connect to the users.
BTW, with the new version of linuxdc the slot issue was solved? I still don't get the "no slots available".

Just because it doesn't say "no slots available" in the gui doesn't mean that's what's happening in the background. The core sends two strings to the gui when a download fails and it's a pain in the ass to get the "no slots available" to show up first. So instead the disconnected string overwrites the no slots string before you even can see it. Blame DC++.
queen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevensheehy wrote:
queen wrote:

Just because it doesn't say "no slots available" in the gui doesn't mean that's what's happening in the background. The core sends two strings to the gui when a download fails and it's a pain in the ass to get the "no slots available" to show up first. So instead the disconnected string overwrites the no slots string before you even can see it. Blame DC++.

ok, thanks for the info. I was just used to see "no slots available". the dissconnect confused because i didn't know if it's a slot problem or connection problem on my side.

I changed the character encoding. I don't see a change in the downloads. It still takes a very long time until it connects to the users. And many downloads simply don't start (when some of the downloads are working). But i don't get any error from command line.
tnt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any new, useable,
a little bit more stable then microdc2,
command-line based Direct Connect client to put on my headless, X-less file server?

:roll:
lysergicacid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tnt wrote:
any new, useable,
a little bit more stable then microdc2,
command-line based Direct Connect client to put on my headless, X-less file server?

:roll:

most likely goina be http://sourceforge.net/projects/nanodc/ still nothing further on apexdc yet
tnt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

found

http://www.dolda2000.com/~fredrik/doldaconnect/

just have to make it work on amd64.

I'm very sorry it's not in portage tree at least as 'testing'... :(
queen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice that in linuxdcpp will be a feature in sharing to share files over network. For example files from a remote ftp server.

Is such a thing possible?
stevensheehy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

queen wrote:
It would be nice that in linuxdcpp will be a feature in sharing to share files over network. For example files from a remote ftp server.

Is such a thing possible?

As far as I know, if you can mount the drive the files are on and can access it in a file manager, you should be able to share them in linuxdcpp. Adding support for ftp or other protocols directly into linuxdcpp is not a reasonable request when there are other workarounds.
queen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone can help me to use dc++ and trickle? In this combination dc++ crashes. ;-(
tnt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

made doldaconnect working on amd64 gentoo system. used SVN version, but found there's ebuild, too:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=135274
G2k
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will a new ebuild for linux dc++ come out soon that you guys know of?
Pallidula rigida nudula,
Nec ut soles dabis iocos...
- Imp. Caesar Hadrianus
Xake
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G2k wrote:
will a new ebuild for linux dc++ come out soon that you guys know of?

linuxdcpp is in portage. This means that it will get updated when they have time, and if the changelog @ linuxdcpp.berlios.de tells you something awesome has happend since the date of the ebuild then file a bug @ bugs.gentoo.org to remind them to bump. Just remember: nobody likes zero-days.
QkEterror
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally! We can post again :)
Since the update before the last update linux dcpp crashes my whole server. At start I get fileexceptions, warnings from pango and a gtk critical. I don't know if this has got anything to do with it though. Does someone know a solution for this and if not, can someone tell me how I can debug this. Because the complete computer crashes I can't see what happens.

Oh. I forgot. It happens when I try to add a new share directory, but sometimes just as I search.
Xake
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QkEterror wrote:
Since the update before the last update linux dcpp crashes my whole server. At start I get fileexceptions, warnings from pango and a gtk critical. I don't know if this has got anything to do with it though. Does someone know a solution for this and if not, can someone tell me how I can debug this. Because the complete computer crashes I can't see what happens.

Oh. I forgot. It happens when I try to add a new share directory, but sometimes just as I search.

linuxdcpp has known problems with localized filenames.
And how does it crash you whole server, does not even ssh work?
One thing you can do is build linuxdcpp with USE="debug" and:
Code:
ulimit -c unlimited && linuxdcpp > ldcpp.log 2>&1

This will give you two files:
ldcpp.log with all the output linuxdcpp gives in a terminal (often there is a clue in that file). If you can't see something wrong post this to a pastebin somewhere and link it here so can someone take a look.

The other file is named core or core.something. This step is only necessary if the logfile does not give you (or us) something.
Open this with:
Code:
gdb linuxdcpp <core or core.comething>

This will start gdb and when its prompt shows up enter "bt full".
If you see a awful lot of ???? then this output is nonesense. If that is the case come back for futher advice. If it does not contain a lot of ??? then pastebin and post here.
QkEterror
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xake wrote:
QkEterror wrote:

linuxdcpp has known problems with localized filenames.
And how does it crash you whole server, does not even ssh work?
One thing you can do is build linuxdcpp with USE="debug" and:
Code:
ulimit -c unlimited && linuxdcpp > ldcpp.log 2>&1

This will give you two files:
ldcpp.log with all the output linuxdcpp gives in a terminal (often there is a clue in that file). If you can't see something wrong post this to a pastebin somewhere and link it here so can someone take a look.

The other file is named core or core.something. This step is only necessary if the logfile does not give you (or us) something.
Open this with:
Code:
gdb linuxdcpp <core or core.comething>

This will start gdb and when its prompt shows up enter "bt full".
If you see a awful lot of ???? then this output is nonesense. If that is the case come back for futher advice. If it does not contain a lot of ??? then pastebin and post here.

First of all tnx for the answer. I'm going to start debugging right away.

The server doesn't do anything anymore including ssh. Is it possible that this is because of localized filenames? I will try running it with the command you supplied and see what it outputs (it's already compiled with debug). If I can't find out what's the problem I will post it back here.
Xake
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QkEterror wrote:
The server doesn't do anything anymore including ssh. Is it possible that this is because of localized filenames?

Nope, sounds like another issue.
QkEterror
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I got out of it was a ldcpp.log file which contains this:
Code:
Thrown: FileException: Could not open file
Thrown: FileException: Could not open file
Loading: Hash database
Loading: Shared Files
UnBZFilter end, 243120/72858 = 3.3369
Loading: Download Queue

But I don't think this will be much of use.
There's no coredump
Xake
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try gdb linuxdcpp and at the gdb-promt type run.
QkEterror
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xake wrote:
try gdb linuxdcpp and at the gdb-promt type run.

No effect. Just freezes. Maybe I should look into the X forums or just wait for the right update (which one that may be). I saw something about freezing there. Strange thing is it only happens with DCPP.
Thanks for the help anyway Xake!
QkEterror
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
LinuxDC++ 1.0.0
The LinuxDC++ team is pleased to announce the release of LinuxDC++ 1.0.0. This release is the culmination of almost three years worth of work. Hopefully you'll find it was worth the wait. Thanks to all of those who have contributed in making this release possible. You can look forward to many more things to come in the near future including i18n support, user commands and magnet support. Read the full release notes:
ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/linuxdcpp/linuxdcpp-1.0.0-release_notes.txt
(stevensheehy, Sun 23rd Sep 2007 11:38)

Is someone in the process of making an ebuild or can I do that? Is there a good ebuild tutorial or something?
By the way. Isn't it a good idea to make a dedicated linuxdcpp thread?
naga
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is someone in the process of making an ebuild or can I do that? Is there a good ebuild tutorial or something?
By the way. Isn't it a good idea to make a dedicated linuxdcpp thread?

Take the one in portage and change src_uri.
QkEterror
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naga wrote:

Take the one in portage and change src_uri.

How can you add files to the distfiles dir on the server (and mirrors)?
If I digest the ebuild to add it to the Manifest ebuild tries to download the file from the mirror which of course doesn't have the file it's looking for.
naga
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QkEterror wrote:

How can you add files to the distfiles dir on the server (and mirrors)?
If I digest the ebuild to add it to the Manifest ebuild tries to download the file from the mirror which of course doesn't have the file it's looking for.

You can't. You set the src_uri to the berlios.de location and then portage will try its list of mirrors and then fallback to the berlios address.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 32 of 33

Jump to: