cdrecord eh?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kamagurka
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: cdrecord eh? Reply with quote

after getting frustrated at cdrecord and bashburn a couple times, i finally emerged k3b. lo and behold, with k3b, everything works "out of the box"; but since k3b is merely a cdrecord frontend, there *must* be a way for me to do simple cd-burning tasks without the overhead of a gui. i'm running 2.6.7-gentoo-r6, and cdrecord never fails to remind me that any kernel newer than stoneage is "vewy vewy bad for buwning cds". however, if k3b can do it, so must cdrecord. now, to my questions:
1. is there a way to have k3b show me the cdrecord commands it issues, some sort of verbose mode?
2. if not, what the hell do i have to do to point cdrecord to my IDE dvd-writer and shoot a file (or several, for that matter) on the cd (or dvd, for that matter), preferrably while naming the cd; also, please without putting the files on there in any freaky filesystem or anything.
Rafje
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. After the fact, K3b shows what it has done by clicking the "Show Debugging Output" button. Unfortunately, it shows what cdrecord said to K3b but not what K3b said to cdrecord.

Maybe something like this could work: you rename cdrecord to, let's say cdrecord.orig. Then you create a shell script called "cdrecord", that you put in the same directory and that has the same permissions as cdrecord.orig so that K3b finds it. That shell script does nothing else than log the arguments it was called with, and then call cdrecord.orig with those same arguments. You know, something like:
Code:
cd /usr/bin
mv cdrecord cdrecord.orig
echo 'echo $* >> /tmp/cdrecord.log; cdrecord.orig $*' > cdrecord
chmod 4711 cdrecord
and then run K3b.
Note that I haven't tried to do this, it's just off the top of my head. If K3b communicates with cdrecord only through the arguments it gives in the command-line, then an approach like this might actually work.

Have fun,
R.
kamagurka
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, that is a very interesting approach, and i won't hesitate to use it if necessary. however, i find it hard to believe that this is the only way to find out what k3b does; that's so...microsoftian. also, can't anybody tell me an easy way to burn cds from the commandline?
psyqil
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://mail4.hallertau.net/~andreasb/cdrmicrohowto.html
Sogar auf deutsch... :wink: Beispiel:
Code:
cdrecord dev=ATAPI:1,0,0 driveropts=burnfree speed=24 -v -eject blank=fast some.iso
google for "cdrecord howto" and you'll find answers to everything you ever wanted to know about burning and even dared to ask..:D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: