View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
don quixada
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:17 am    Post subject: xscreensaver/nvidia crashes whole computer [SOLVED!] Reply with quote

I'm having trouble with 3D xscreensavers crashing my whole computer.

Ok, here are the facts:

-I have an nvidia chipset and I use XOrg.

-Xscreensaver only crashes on GL screensavers. The 2d ones are no problem.

-For the sake of completeness-- I tried sshing into my box after a freeze and confirmed that it wasn't just X that was crashing but the whole computer.

-This problem has persisted over different versions of both Xfree86 and XOrg. I'm compiling a new XOrg right now, but I don't think X is the problem.

-I checked the X log file after a crash and it looks the same as other non-crashed logs.

-My video card is *not* overheating. I closely monitored the heat of the card during a crash and the temp was constant. (I did this by feel so I don't know if it's a viable method)

-I cannot predict when a crash will happen. It could be an hour, it could be minutes...

-I tried the opengl-update thing to no avail...

-My processor is an Athlon-XP 2400+.

-I have the latest stable nvidia drivers installed and have, in fact, upgraded them and the problem still remains.

-Most of the software that I have installed from portage is stable-- and I can say with confidence that any graphics-hardware related software is stable.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Is there another log that I should be checking out? What can I do in order to have these awesome 3d screen savers?

Thanks.

dq

Last edited by don quixada on Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:51 pm; edited 4 times in total
enigma_0Z
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this also happen in gl based games?

PS: don't try tuxracer, I think that it locks up on any computer
Latch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same setup as you. I have a crappy NVidia Geforce 4 MX, using nvidia drivers... on XOrg or XFree86. OpenGL Screensavers (and sometimes videos using Xv for output) completely lock up my box. I also get 2-3 seconds of static in my speakers RIGHT before it locks up completely.

Unfortunately, I have no solution for it. No messages get left in the error logs.. it just locks up. Just wanted to say that I'm experiencing the same thing.
Iced-Tux
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have something similiar on an Intel 855GM.
When i try to access GL Screensaver my X Server is restartet :(

Seems to be a new "feature" ;) of Xorg cause it happens for the first time after i updated to 6.8.0 *i think*
don quixada
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't play GL games much. But I did try tuxracer as a test and it didn't freeze; however, I might not have played it long enough.

dq
gen2doggy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the same problem

i thought it was X11 so changed to xorg but it still happened

it started with the last release of the nvidia display drivers, but i cant remember the old version number to downgrade

sometimes it does it just after i quit unreal tournament 2004

it used to do it randomly.

since i turned off xscreensaver altogether though, it has stopped (apart from the occassional crash when i quit ut2k4)
synapscape
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I'm experiencing the same problems:
- OpenGL xscreensavers may lock up my machine (kernel oops with flashing keyboard lights)
- Playing Doomsday (GL-game) is possible but my system crashes when i quit the game (also flashing keyboard lights)

My system is an P3@500 (Intel BX), 512MB Ram, Geforce2 GTS. Nothing is overclocked and never was. For the software, i'm using:

kernel 2.4.26-lck1
nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx 1.0.6111
XFree 4.3.0.1
gcc 3.3.4
glibc 2.3.3

I haven't done too much research on this problem though since i own the Geforce for 2 weeks now. I upgraded from an old Voodoo3500, which had her own problems... :roll:

The cards install was rather flawless. First i installed above kernel, then both nvidia packages and edited XF86Config to match the card. No problems with that. The problems arose later when i first tried to use OpenGL.

I have some points to check if they are the source for my problem:

1) Check /dev/nvidia0 and /dev/nvidiactl to be owned by root:video and read/writeable for both. Right now, both devices are owned by me and group root.
2) Find more info about that nvAGP thingie and see if it could help. Somewhere i have read that it's better to have nvidia to use the kernels AGPgart instead of nvidias, because the latter only works with nforce boards, but i may be wrong here.
3) Check if there are some kernel settings that are the fault. Maybe something with low-latency?

Just sharing my ideas. Any comments?

bye,
synapscape
MadOtis
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the "X restart" problem when using anything opengl as well. I don't get a full machine lockup, just X crashes and re-starts.

I never had this problem until last weekend when I tried to emerge -U mozilla-firefox, and it subsequently installed a new GCC, new Xorg, and several other updated packages.

Would posting version/build numbers of the packages that were updated help any?

Cheers,
Randy
crocodille
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'am encountering the same problem....

I am having this problem since I switched to Xorg-X11 6.8.0. I noticed this because my system locked up when the GL-Matrix screensaver turned on.

I already thought about filing a bug but since I do not know when it happens or even why I was not able to do this.

My kernel does not lock up since I can still use the "magic keys". But I still was not able to figure out what caused this.

But so far from this thread it looks like an Xorg + Nvidia bug since we all have this in common, right?

My setup:
Xorg-X11 6.8.0-r1
Nvidia Geforce 4 Ti 4200 (nv25)
Amd AthlonXP 1600+
512MB Ram
nesl247
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i have the nvidia gl on ah something liike opengl-nvidia on or something like that anyways i start up gnome and immediately i cannot do anything with my keyboard i have to hit the restart button on my comp.. I think im running the latest xorg with gnome 2.6..
don quixada
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, tuxracer isn't working (something about libsdl), but I tried quake III and the game worked fine until I quit *then* it froze. Maybe the freezing happens when something changes (i.e. something gets overloaded). Maybe that's what happens in xscreensaver-- when it switches to a new screensaver it freezes... I don't know, just speculating.

It seems like a lot of people are having this problem, you'd *think* there would be a solution or at least a bug report. Has anyone seen one?

dq
synapscape
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, well...

I think the things we have in common are:

1) It does not matter if one uses XFree or Xorg. I'm still with XFree and haven't tried Xorg yet, but i doubt upgrading to Xorg would help.
2) The common bug seems to occur when an OpenGL app is terminating, either an xscreensaver or some OGL app. Before writing this post, i tried both tuxracer and doomsday (aka jdoom). Both ran very well, and both exited normally (no freeze). So i guess the error is a bit random, yet still seems to occur on exit.

I am still digging on the subject, will try to solve the permission "problem" now, so that /dev/nv* belongs to root:video instead of my own user and group root. Maybe this helps... ?!
don quixada
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that I have the 2.4.20-gentoo-r9 kernel. What kernels are people running in this thread?

dq
don quixada
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you figured anything out??

dq
synapscape
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No news :(

I did several things:
1) unmerge old x11-drm (i thought i had already unmerged that one!)
2) re-emerge nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx
3) disable use of local APIC in kernel
4) fix ""spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7" messages. (had nothing to do with nvidia-problem though)
5) try to fix ownership of /dev/nv*

But still no luck. xsreensaver bombed on me. The system was quite idle at this time.

Hmm, something changes the ownership on /dev/nv* from root:video to <myuser>:video, after i log in with <myuser> in kdm. i already have edited devfsd.conf and console.perms to take care of permissions and ownership. Yet still... ?!

I am still running kernel 2.4.26-lck1

Next step is to test AGP. Will disable it in XF86Config to see if it helps...

Greets,
Markus
don quixada
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: OT: you fixed Spurious Interrupt: IRQ 7? Reply with quote

Wow, you fixed "spurious interrupt: IRQ 7"?

I was told a long time ago that it was just noise and to ignore it. I just assumed that it couldn't be fixed...

How did you fix it? (I hate useless error messages.)

Please enlighten...

Thanks!

dq
Regor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no real help to offer, but I thought I'd provide some additional anecdotal evidence.

Every time that this has happened to me it was the version of the nvidia driver that was the issue. Changing it always cured the problem for me.

Having said that I haven't had problems like this since before 4496.

My current stats:
Card: GeForce4 MX 420
Driver: 6111
Kernel: 2.6.9-rc2-love3
synapscape
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: you fixed Spurious Interrupt: IRQ 7? Reply with quote

don quixada wrote:
Wow, you fixed "spurious interrupt: IRQ 7"?

I was told a long time ago that it was just noise and to ignore it. I just assumed that it couldn't be fixed...

How did you fix it? (I hate useless error messages.)

Well, i sortof "fixed it". My changes will mostly only cause the error-message to vanish, but i guess you are right with the noise.
Anyways, IRQ7 is mostly used for the parallel port. As i had parport-support in my kernel, i just had specify which IRQ/IO the module should use in /etc/modules.d/i386:

Code:

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7

To my knowledge, a spurious interrupt orrurs if the interrupt-controller receives some interrupt but does not have a handle for it. So it has no clue what to do and "ignores" it. You are presented with the known message in your logs then.
So my thinking was to modprobe parport and see if it installs a handler. It seems to do, as parport is now seen in /proc/interrupts. So i guess parport does something useful to those spurious interrupts... :)

As for our original problem (nvidia-lockups):

I haven't found a solution yet. I have made agpgart a module (to be able to switch between this and nvAGP) and kicked "local APIC support" out of my kernel. I also enabled ACPI, but i doubt this would cause extra trouble (i know it could). Last but not least, i changed Option "nvAGP" to use nVidias own AGP, cause it support my Chipset (Intel BX). I finally found the list of supported chipsets in nVidias Readme. Doh! :roll:

But it still bombs on me, this time again with xscreensaver. My impression is that 2 screensavers seem to cause a kernel panic: GLBlur and Molecule (lumpy). At least those are showing as last images on screen when i return to my machine and it bombed.

Any new ideas?

kernel-2.4.26-lck1
nvidia-kernel-6111
nvidia-glx-6111
xfree-4.3.0.1
gcc 3.3.4
glibc 2.3.3

no dri/drm stuff in kernel, local apic disabled, ACPI enabled, kernel's AGPgart as module (not loaded), nvAGP enabled and used.
yes, i did ran opengl. :wink:

Remember, 3D is running fine, but it bombs sometimes (kernel panic).

*sigh*

bye,
Markus
Squeaker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I was having the same problem with my Geforce2MX (dont laugh) but reverting to the 1.0.4496 drivers (from 5336) seems to have gotten rid of the problem.
don quixada
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks for pointing that out! Your very first post is a most useful one-- you should be proud!

Yes! Finally I can use xscreensaver again. After reverting to 4496 I ran it overnight without any problems.

It's not a perfect solution but it's a dang good workaround. Here's what I did:

First I logged out of my GUI (in my case Gnome).

Then I killed GDM:

Code:

killall gdm

Then,
Code:

rmmod nvidia

After this,
Code:

emerge -pu =media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.4496-r3

and
Code:

emerge -pu =media-video/nvidia-glxl-1.0.4496-r2

Then I took away the `-p'.

The next thing you have to do is:

Code:

echo ">=media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.5328-r1" >> /etc/portage/package.mask

and
Code:

echo ">=media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.5328-r2" >> /etc/portage/package.mask

5328 is the next version from 4496. This makes it so the next time you do a `emerge -u world', the packages aren't upgraded.

Do a `emerge -up world' just to make sure that there are no Nvidia references...

In light of this new info, I searched bugzilla and found a seemingly appropriate bug:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=37860

Thanks everyone for your help. This issue is not totally solved but it's a step in a direction (overlooking the fact that it's (sort-of) a step backwards...).

dq

Last edited by don quixada on Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:48 am; edited 1 time in total
synapscape
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, i already suspected it has got something to do with preemtiveness/low-latency :( I was just going to to some testing...

Well, instead of going back to an older driverset, which i like to keep as a last resort, i'm going to switch to kernel 2.6 and see if it gets any better, one bug report hints that the crashes only occur on 2.4. Anyway, it's about time to switch, right? :wink:

bye,
Markus
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having the same problems. I would love to hear your results markus.

G
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I am still using the 2.4 kernel and I recompiled without the preemtive kernel option and it seems to be working fine now!

hal-lay-looya.

Fortunately for me, I don't really need it on this machine.... althought I suppose it is time to start looking at kernel 2.6 :0)

G
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grr...

Spoke too soon. Just took longer to lock up, but still did.

I guess I will have to try the 2.6 compile as well....

G
don quixada
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

synapscape wrote:

Well, instead of going back to an older driverset, which i like to keep as a last resort...

I agree, but at least it defines the problem.

2.6... hmmm. I wish. ...I'm afraid.

dq
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: