kde's the devil!!!!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prodigy60
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:30 am    Post subject: kde's the devil!!!! Reply with quote

ok... well, i'm a noob, obviously, but i have a rather irritating problem i cant quite figure out... situatuion goes pretty much like this... say i've just booted into gentoo, and run mpg123 from a command line... sound works perfectly, aside from other issues with my 5.1's and my soundblaster card (i get sound on 4 channels and the sub, but not on the center... i've accepted this) but as soon as i startx and try running xmms in kde, my sound is pretty much gone. all i get is static that comes and goes as it pleases, and occasional kde noises, such as when a window is maximized, minimized and so on (i'm CONVINCED KDE'S LAUGHING AT ME!!!) anyway, i like kde, and i'd like to continue using it, but im not sure how to get and KEEP my sound working using it. like i said, everything is fine at the command line, but as soon as i try to run kde and xmms together, the issues begin, and i'm not sure where to start, and unfortunately i've met with no success diggin throught the forums, and as a noob, i have no idea where to start... ANY help would be greatly apprecciated, and if you need any info from me, i know this is kinda vague, please ask, i'll do what i can to get it to you :) thanks again!
enigma_0Z
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check to see if the equalizer in XMMS is on or not, if it is on, turn it off. I've experienced alot of problems with XMMS's equalizer. You might also want to fire up konsole and see if mpg123 is still screwy in KDE (to see if it's a KDE thing or an XMMS thing)
Acoc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you emerge xmms-arts . It is needed to have sounds from xmms be played through the arts, the KDE sound system. Then just right click in xmms, go to options, preferences and select the output plugin to arts.

John
prodigy60
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, well it seems that its not just in kde, i tried to figure out where the problem was, and after starting up fluxbox, the problem persists there as well... i even tried the arts thing in kde, just in case, and every time i try to play a track now (in kde) i just get the error message from xmms sayin that it was unablem to open the arts output driver.. i did tweak a few things and have sound sorta working, but theres still a lot of static, and its really quite annoying... there is one thing i think would really help though, just as a starting point, so i can adjust some of my settings, i would like to see someone elses alsa mixer settings with a similar setup, including a (if possible) full working sb live card setup with 5.1's so i have something to go on, and a nice constant to start from to adjust and work out some kinks, if thatd be ok... anyway, once again, any help is apprecciated! thanks for the quick replies! :)
jschellhaass
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To at least get to a starting point try running alsaconf from a Konsole.
This should at least get sound working.

jeff

I have an SB Live! working under KDE.
enigma_0Z
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just XMMS, or is it any sound-playing app?

You may need to emerge alsa-driver, alsa-oss, and alsa-utils
Eskarel
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDE makes changes to your alsamixer, in particular it turns on the digital output jack, the fact that you work on bootup is a little strange, probably indicates it's not storing your settings on shutdown for some reason, but try going into alsa mixer and muting this control and see if it fixes your problem.
prodigy60
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did a lil more investigating down a path that a friend sent me hunting on, and i came across a thread that mentioned the digital output of the sb card... well... i checked, and sure enough, although i know i didnt unmute it, it was... muted it... and problems were gone :) did a little more tweaking and managed to get sound on all channels as well... not sure if its really 5.1, havent tested it yet, but there is sound... beautiful glorious sound!!! thanks to all who helped out, i really apprecciate the quick responses, yet another reason i chose to jump into gentoo blindly :x you all are great! thanks again!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: