View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cradlebin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: eclipse and the java visual editor, installation problem Reply with quote

I recently installed eclipse-sdk 3.1_pre1 and now i want to have the visual editor and all bells and whistles for java programming ;)

So i emerged java-ve-bin, java-emf-bin and java-gef-bin, and then i looked at the tutorials at http://dev.gentoo.org/~karltk/projects/eclipse/ to get it going.

However, I ran in a few problems, like my directory is called eclipse-extensions-0 for some reason and adding that directory made eclipse complain, so i added /opt/eclipse-extensions-0/eclipse as an extension location.

But now ve, gef or emf still aren't installed, i cannot create a new Visual Class and there is no sign of them being installed, I tried re-emerging them, but to no avail, so i'm quite stuck and I really need to have Eclipse with the visual editor, so hopefully someone could give me a hint as to how i should install it properly?

Oh and a quick question that popped in my mind: is there some equivalent to checkinstall in gentoo? I'm coming from slackware and I found it to be a very useful program, so i was wondering if there was anything i could use so that when i compile my own programs i could make emerge check where everything is installed so i could do emerge unmerge program when i want to uninstall it.

So hopefully someone can answer both of my questions :)
inode77
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not using eclipse's software update feature to do it. I got them installed that way without problems. (They appear in the installed plugin list) I didn't have the time to play with eclipse ve.
Twix
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the update site for eclipse-ve???
inode77
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to specify anything just start the update function in 3.1, select the only available item in the list and let it search what's available for you.
cradlebin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try that, just thought it would be more convenient to let portage handle all that stuff, but guess it doesn't work.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: