View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
irishpunk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:10 am    Post subject: alsaplayer gui Reply with quote

I am having an issue with the alsaplayer gui i cannot get it to hold its settings. It will hold master but not pcm and Hea... thats all it shows in the box. But i have made the locks lock and have set the levels and it wont save them after i log out and back in to kde. i get sound on boot it starts to play the generic startup music and gets almost done and then poof no sound until i open the gui and reset the levels for the 2 above mentioned settings. Anyone got an idea. Was wondering if i need to manually edit some file and if thats the case anyone got an idea of what file and suggested settings? Thanks.

-The IrishPunk
Haqqax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sjk wrote:

The best would be to get alsa working. If you get any success, please keep me informed.

Magick happens! Sorry for writing long posts when the conclusion is simple, but I want to share it with you ;-)

Today I decided to make sound work, as I wanted to watch a movie. I was trying different options and at last I found info on the net stating that my card is not supported by ALSA and I have to use OSS.

So I wrote to C-Media to tell them, that I regret I bought their product and I will never buy anything with their soundcard onboard unless they supply modern Linux drivers for their hardware.

When I was a little less frustrated, I started to prepare to go back to OSS support - reconfigured and compiled the kernel, copied it to /boot etc. When everything was ready, my computer made a KDE "biip" to me. Mind you, I DID NOT REBOOT, and it made a "biip"!!!!

I ran XMMS and it played happily! I thought I was going crazy, so I did lsmod, but I saw my usual ALSA modules listed.

I quickly restored my old config and reinstalled the ALSA kernel and rebooted. And the sound was gone :-( But I knew it had to work, it had to be some config problem. And I found what it was!

My PCM slider still does not move, but if I mute IEC958, IEC958 C, IEC958 C (there are two of them) the sound works! IEC958 P can not be muted on my system.

I do not know (yet) why it is like this, but at least it works.
sjk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've got alsa working too. I don't know why or what I did differently. The last two things I did were to rmmod oss modules and then /etc/init.d/alsasound restart. And now it seems alsa is working.

I did not touch alsamixer, but now when I check, everything else except Master and Center are muted. PCM is not muted but it is still not moving.

However, I've still got problems with xine:
Code:

mammoth root # xine --verbose=2 -A arts
...a lot of debug info removed...
unix_connect: can't connect to server (unix:/tmp/mcop-root/mammoth-4fc1-415afc34)
load_plugins: failed to load audio output plugin <arts>
main: audio driver <arts> failed

Code:

mammoth root # killalla artsd ; xine --verbose=2 -A alsa
...a lot of debug info removed...
snd_pcm_open() failed:-16:Laite tai resurssi varattu
>>> Check if another program already uses PCM <<<
load_plugins: failed to load audio output plugin <alsa>
main: audio driver <alsa> failed

And when artsd is running:
Code:

mammoth root # artsshell status
unix_connect: can't connect to server (unix:/tmp/mcop-root/mammoth-4fc1-415afc34)
unable to connect to sound server

Something is wrong. I don't understand what.
sjk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haqqax wrote:

My PCM slider still does not move, but if I mute IEC958, IEC958 C, IEC958 C (there are two of them) the sound works! IEC958 P can not be muted on my system.

I do not know (yet) why it is like this, but at least it works.

I am confirming that this is exactly my problem. Thanks for help. Almost everything is ok now but every time I log out and log in (from kde session) I have to unmute those again. Every time. I don't know how make this permanent. Any help on this?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: