Grub can not see the kernel on the boot - file not found
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billw-hou
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: Grub can not see the kernel on the boot - file not found Reply with quote

I've followed the instruction for stage three, several times, to no avail.. As far as I can tell, there appears to be some sort of error with either grub, itself, or the configuration instructions for grub. The problem is how partion numbering is configured.. For example, on my system, my install target is /dev/hdg. (I've done a standard install. 3 partitions created per the instrustions...root, swap and boot) however grub "thinks" my ROOT partition is my BOOT partition. (grub generates a error 15 file not found, when pointed to where the root actually is (hd0,2)) however it DOES see the kernel if I edit the command line, on the fly, to point to (hd0,0). Which SHOULDN"T work cause this is my BOOT not my ROOT... but it does.

Which begs the question... is grub broken ?
Raoul_Duke
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kernel image SHOULD be on your boot partition. You 'need' it to boot :wink:
billw-hou
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense...I'm still confused as to why the documents would say to point Grub to ROOT instead of BOOT. Here's the section that's confusing me:

Code Listing 4: grub.conf for genkernel users

default 0
timeout 30
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux 2.4.26-r6
root (hd0,0) <-----------This line is the problem , my root is partition 3, not 0
kernel /kernel-2.4.26-gentoo-r6 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/hda3
initrd /initrd-2.4.26-gentoo-r6

# Only in case you want to dual-boot
title=Windows XP
root (hd0,5)
makeactive
chainloader +1

Note: If you use a different partitioning scheme and/or kernel image, adjust accordingly. However, make sure that anything that follows a GRUB-device (such as (hd0,0)) is relative to the mountpoint, not the root. In other words, (hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz is in reality /boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz since (hd0,0) is /boot.
billw-hou
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction - for Grub it would be partition 2 , not 3...
LordBug
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm still confused as to why the documents would say to point Grub to ROOT instead of BOOT

The main installation book reads as if you're giving the entire main hard drive to to Gentoo. If you follow the guide exactly as written, you end up with /boot on HDA1, swap on HDA2, and / (root) on HDA3. This would put /boot at (hd0,0) as far as Grub is concerned. Grub needs to find /boot. The kernel needs your root (/). Your kernel image ends up as /boot/kernel*. Most distros don't put the kernel on the root (/) partition anymore, for security reasons.

In your case, you have it all on HDG. The question is, is that drive Primary Master (hd0,*), Primary Slave (hd1,*), Secondary Master (hd2,*), or Secondary Slave (hd3,*).

Grub isn't broken, your configuration just isn't quite right.
billw-hou
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: I've got it, now...I think Reply with quote

I think i've got it...you need to point the ROOT entry to the BOOT partition, NOT THE ROOT. I didn't realize that the root and boot locations needed to be swapped, if you follow the recommended partioning scheme.

I guess I was just too busy pointing everything to it's proper location and making sure I got grub's partioning scheme right...this one flew right past me, but is damn obvious when you actually THINK about it...

Thanks!
chunderbunny
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a little ambiguity in the grub.conf. When it says root (hd0,0) it's not referring to your Linux root (/) partition, it's looking for your grub root partition (which just happens to be mounted at /boot in Linux.)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: