View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snuffer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Moving from Xorg to Xfree Reply with quote

I am having some problems with Xorg locking up https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=198023&highlight= so i want to move back to xfree. How would i do that because when i tried it many programs couldnt find certain "so"s.
Registered Linux User #360735.
wzzrd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving from Xorg to Xfree Reply with quote

snuffer wrote:
I am having some problems with Xorg locking up https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=198023&highlight= so i want to move back to xfree. How would i do that because when i tried it many programs couldnt find certain "so"s.

Sorry, man, but you're going to have to recompile a whole lot of stuff then... Make a quickpkg for xorg, so you can migrate back quickly if needed, emerge xfree and run revdep-rebuild and either brace yourself or find something useful to do for the coming eons (and eons and eons, you get the point...)

See, your programs where apparently linked against libraries belonging to xorg. When you remove these libs (the so's you mention, shared objects) and replace then you have to relink your programs against the new libs. This means recompiling, which is the only way I know of for solving this problem...
snuffer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there now way to make xfree86 provide these libs? (how come migrating from xfree to xorg is so easy?)
Registered Linux User #360735.
svyatogor
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snuffer wrote:
Is there now way to make xfree86 provide these libs? (how come migrating from xfree to xorg is so easy?)

Don't forget that developers always try to preserve upward compatibility, but it doesn't work other way round.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: