Accessing a Rio Karma from Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwiqsilver
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Accessing a Rio Karma from Gentoo Reply with quote

I've read several posts about the Karma, and they all mention that it has an ethernet port. Does it run an ftp or smb daemon that you can connect to for transferring files? Or does that part work only with the proprietary interface?
I'm considering getting an HD-based Ogg Vorbis player, and due to its small size and $243 price, the Karma is currently at the top of my list.
rpdillon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:31 am    Post subject: Karma under Gentoo == good Reply with quote

I routinely use the ethernet jack on the back the the Karma's dock to sync my files with it. It runs a web server on the device that has a page you can download the java sync software and run from any operating system.

The catch is this: firmware updates are only available through windows, and I've had trouble getting my Karma to connect to my computer through my router (Linksys WRT54G) so I have to use a crossover cable and direct-connect it. A pain, but I'm thinking that a future firmware update will fix it, I hope.

All in all, I have had a very positive experience with the Karma, I suggest it for Linux users (esp. if your collection is all .ogg, like mine).
kwiqsilver
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good to hear, especially since mine is currently on the FedEx delivery van.

Has anybody reverse engineered the transfer protocol (assuming it's something proprietary) so we can just open a port and write some data? If not, I might have to figure out how to RE that kind of stuff.
I'd much rather have a cron entry that runs a simple C program to sync my Karma with /home/oggs/ than have to run some GUI and point and click everything.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: