View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qcspinner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Xorg not starting Reply with quote

When I startx, the screen with the crosshairs comes up, and then I return to the command line. The last message says shutting down X or something like that.

It also says, to my confusion, that it used the XF86Config config file, which doesn't make sense. Wouldn't there be a xorgConfig file? Am I a complete ignoramus who has no business trying to run gentoo?

Help would be much appreciated.
caravela
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need a /etc/X11/xorg.conf file wich has X configurations if that file is not present it will try to load Xfree86config file ,you can generate one by using xorgconfig or xorgcfg.
also you will need to a .xinit file on your home to expecify the window manager or desktop manager you want to use
exeample:
exec startkde

if you are using xdm gdm or kdm you don't need to set this file but rather edit the file /etc/rc.conf and at the bottom write the default WM u can check wich ones u can use by doing ls /etc/X11/sessions if am not mistaken
hlandgar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

take a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log. It should show you what it crashed. The name of the keyboard driver changed recently and it you don't have that new name in you config file, Xorg will crash.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: