GRUB Not findind sda/no solution {solved}
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
illusina
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:50 am    Post subject: GRUB Not findind sda/no solution {solved} Reply with quote

To start off:

Code:
Cannot open root device "sda3" or sda3
Please append a correct "root=" boot option
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on sda3

I have looked around quite a lot trying to find solutions to this problem, went on a few irc channels, no luck.....

Basically, I get into the boot...grub loads fine....but when trying to mount root on my sata's, I get an error. I have read a few threads that say that I need to have these as sda, as opposed to the hde, as they were in setup.

I have compiled all support into my kernel as was needed. I have a KT-800 motherboard, which used the VIA 82XXXX kernel module thingie, which I have compiled in, not modulized.

I have also compiled in ide_disk, and a number of other things that were suggested to me in the #gentoo-amd64....but I still can't find a solution...

I just tried (again) changing root=/dev/hde3, but I got similar errors (it changed the sda3 to unknown-block(0,0))

any help appreciated -- and if there is a solution in the forums already, I apologize, I looked for quite awhile ;)

Last edited by illusina on Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Barks
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the exact same error when I first did an install on my ASUS mobo with the SATA.

First post what you have for your grub.conf file. Second, are you positive you got everything compiled in the kernel. I knwo there's a very subtle device driver you need to select under SCSI and it's under something like "Low Level Drivers". Mine is a Promise driver of some sort so I had to make sure I had selected all of those.

Finally, I've had to compile a couple of times to realize this one....but make sure you're actually overwriting the old kernel images every time you make a new compile. I was pulling my hair out once wondering why my new selects on my kernel weren't showing up.....it was b/c I wasn't deleting the old images and cp over the new ones.
illusina
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks the reply.

Yes, I am sure I have all my device drivers, I walked through all that witha few people on IRC about 30 minutes ago.

I am currently in windows, but I will type as I remember:

title=gentoo
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/kernel-gentoo root=/dev/sda3

Do you need more info than this for the grub.conf?

Ok: I tried to delete the kernel file from /boot and then copy the new one over, but that didn't change anything. Do I need to clear out the temporary location, ie: arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage as well before I compile a new kernel?
stephen.austin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that exact error, I dunno if grub was buggy, or if my config was screwed up. But I emerged lilo and it worked first time. :D

Comments & Criticism welcome! :)
flindt
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try to use the grub command line - its says how on the grub boot screen.
Then you can enter grub commands just like in the grub.conf file, so you can try to figure the right root, try
Quote:
root (

followed by a <TAB>, and GRUB will display the list of drives,
partitions, or file names. So it should be quite easy to determine the
name of your target partition, even with minimal knowledge of the
syntax.
taken from the grub info page.

my grub look like this (also sata)
Code:
title  Gentoo 2.6
root (hd0,0)
kernel /bzImage-2.6 root=/dev/sda7

I dont now if the sligth difference in the kernel line makes a difference though.

You dont have to delete the old image (you realy should not), instead cp it to "/boot/kernel-gentoo.old", then you still have it around if your new kernel is not behaving... But every now and then someone forgets to mount /boot before copying the new kernel.

Trying out lilo sounds like a good idea :idea: I also have a labtop that refuses to boot using grub but works with lilo.
illusina
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But isn't lilo masked? I'll try to unmask and get that working, any other help appreciated...
syg00
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My $0.02;
- lilo is a dead duck - persist with grub
- after the make, ensure you have /boot mounted (check it !!) then copy the new kernel (this is mentioned above). I prefer to use new name and update the grub conf prior to boot - each to their own.
If you see a /usr/src/linux/boot you've probably forgotten to mount /boot, and your new kernel is in there, and being ignored.
Guess how I know.
- make sure you have the kernel options set right. I know you said you did. I went through this too. Despite what what said in some of the threads, for my P4P800, I had to enable SCSI, then SATA below that, *and* Intel PIIX/ICH.
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that scsi_disk hasn't been mentioned... that needs to be compiled in to your kernel.
illusina
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... :oops: i figured it out....it appears as though, for some reason, those 1000 other kernel recompiles didn't ever take, it's like the script took a shortcut and used the existing kernel (I was WONDERING why it was so fast every time...)

I got it, but now I am just debugging getting hte screen to fit to my LCD, and for some reason /boot is empty?!

Rather strange...
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has /boot been mounted though? :wink: If you've got noauto in /etc/fstab for it, then you have to do it manually.
illusina
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already did the part about scsi_disk in IRC a few hours ago ( have been at this install for the last two days, nearly 20 hours total!) Persevere!

I still do have a few problems::

I get "ide-disk failed to load" within the kernel output as it loads my system. I'm now going to search for something related on the forum.

And maedhros: I absolutely love your sig, it makes me burst out laughing every time I see it....

Thanks for all your help
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: