Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Unable to modprobe after Gentoo installation? That's INSANE!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blizzard Wolf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Unable to modprobe after Gentoo installation? That's INSANE! Reply with quote

Hello, I'm not very new to Linux to say the least, but I am pretty new to Gentoo.

After installing about three times(I seemed to screw up a couple of times), I finally managed to get into Gentoo, but I have some huge problems.

I am unable to even modprobe usbcore or my 8139too module for some reason. When I modprobe via root(I can't seem to su my way into root from a user's account but that's another story), no matter what module I try, it doesn't register.

I've searched these forums before hand(I did a quick search actually), and no one seems to have a problem modprobing, so I must've screwed something up either by the kernel or on my way to installation.

Another problem is the fact that Gentoo freezes when I try to load the nvidia module, it should be nvidia in the autoload.conf, right?

If this helps, I'm installing Gentoo on a laptop with a 2.4.26-r9 kernel, on an AMD64(compiled as Pentium 4, I don't remember, I know it's i686), with 512 RAM and one 60GB hard drive, partitioned with Windows(It works), and the rest having Gentoo and 1GB swap with a share space(FAT32 Partition that can be accessed by Windows and Gentoo).

Edit: For the record, I fixed a couple of things, but I can't seem to load my NVIDIA kernel with a Geforce Go 440, maybe I should try the NVIDIA Installer.
radonsg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Unable to modprobe after Gentoo installation? That's INS Reply with quote

Blizzard Wolf wrote:
Hello, I'm not very new to Linux to say the least, but I am pretty new to Gentoo.

After installing about three times(I seemed to screw up a couple of times), I finally managed to get into Gentoo, but I have some huge problems.

I am unable to even modprobe usbcore or my 8139too module for some reason. When I modprobe via root(I can't seem to su my way into root from a user's account but that's another story), no matter what module I try, it doesn't register.

I've searched these forums before hand(I did a quick search actually), and no one seems to have a problem modprobing, so I must've screwed something up either by the kernel or on my way to installation.

Another problem is the fact that Gentoo freezes when I try to load the nvidia module, it should be nvidia in the autoload.conf, right?

If this helps, I'm installing Gentoo on a laptop with a 2.4.26-r9 kernel, on an AMD64(compiled as Pentium 4, I don't remember, I know it's i686), with 512 RAM and one 60GB hard drive, partitioned with Windows(It works), and the rest having Gentoo and 1GB swap with a share space(FAT32 Partition that can be accessed by Windows and Gentoo).

Edit: For the record, I fixed a couple of things, but I can't seem to load my NVIDIA kernel with a Geforce Go 440, maybe I should try the NVIDIA Installer.

First of all, where u still using a 2.4.x kernel? Is there a special reason for u to use it? If not trying using the 2.6.x kernel.

2nd,
U need to add the "user" to the wheel group for that person able to sudo.

3rd,
for the nvidia module, hav u emerge both nvida-kernel & glx?

4rd,
which kernel u using? genkernel or custom type? If custom did u compile your kernel (built in based / modules based) Did u compile the necessary modules?
2 x 512MB TwinMos DDR400 Dual Channel
Geforce 5200
Blizzard Wolf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One: I wasn't sure which kernel the latest 2.6 Gentoo Sources used, I heard 2.6.8 caused problems. That, and I have Windows, and I need to keep that in.

Two: I already saw a topic on that, I'll try it thank you.

Three: I'll take a look once I get my internet access working and using the live CD.

Four: I'm using the custom, and I'll try and compile it again, same command as in the handbook right?

Edit: Silly me, I forgot to put in 8139too, now to put in my Audio Card, if I can find it...it should be already in there...AC97's usually are right?

Edit 2: That's done, now I need to get USBCORE working, or is it not needed...I tend to forget. Also, I have checked and there is no glx package when I do emerge glx. Thanks for reminding me to recompile the kernel, I recompiled it with my 8139too enabled. Also, I made sure nvidia was installed, but when I try to emerge, it's already there, should I unmerge and install using the NVIDIA installer?

Last edited by Blizzard Wolf on Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blizzard Wolf wrote:
One: I wasn't sure which kernel the latest 2.6 Gentoo Sources used, I heard 2.6.8 caused problems. That, and I have Windows, and I need to keep that in.
2.6.8-r3 is fine
Blizzard Wolf wrote:
Silly me, I forgot to put in 8139too, now to put in my Audio Card, if I can find it...it should be already in there...AC97's usually are right?
correct
Blizzard Wolf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to emerge nvidia-kernel again, but then I have to recompile it with RTMM I believe. Also, what's the command for uninstalling any builds? I've read the man pages and there are about several different commands that are the same.

Edit: I'm emerging nvidia-glx as we speak, turns out that was what you were talking about, silly me.
Blizzard Wolf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to be having a bit of problems emerging the NVIDIA-KERNEL, so far, I already did the emerge nvidia-glx, but I can't emerge nvidia-kernel, probably because I did that way before.

At the moment, I'm recompiling my kernel with RTMM support, which it already had a while ago. By the way, I'm still using the 2.4 kernel if it helps me solve this little...pickle.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not have a go at 2.6, emerge gentoo-dev-sources
Blizzard Wolf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take a look at it once I get it installed again, I'm constantly going back and forth with Debian and Gentoo.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blizzard Wolf wrote:
I'll take a look at it once I get it installed again, I'm constantly going back and forth with Debian and Gentoo.

ahhhhhhhhhh, my 2 favourite distro's!!! I have to say though, once i started using gentoo i never looked back...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: