[SOLVED] Bash got bashed
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LucaSpiller
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Bash got bashed Reply with quote

As you can see by my post count I am new to these forums and Gentoo. It all looks good, but I think I did something I shouldn't have. I kept being told to run "etc-update" after installing big ebuilds. I couldn't be arsed to before, but today I did.

Nothing seemed to change once I had run it so I just carried on as normal. When I restarted though everything got screwed up. Firstly the ethernet adapter was not started - there were errors saying I needed to edit /etc/conf.d/net - so I did, simple enough - everything seemed to be find then, so I thought....

So I went back to my laptop (after a restart) and sshed into my machine. Oh my god, what a shock, it was just, terrible, I don't know how I can go on without it - the bash prompt has somehow change, and the colours have gone. :cry: :cry:

So I did a bit of searching around and found I needed to change ($)PS1 to reflect what I want my bash prompt to be. So I did this - no change though. I tried a few other settings and a new ssh session, but nothing. So I tried running "bash" and it worked. :roll: This lead me to believe that what I had wasn't bash, but when I ran "help" it says at the top "GNU bash...". So now I am just completely confused, bash doesn't read the bash settings, but bash in bash does.

Has anybody done the same thing and now of a solution - I want my colours back! :P Also was running "etc-update" a bad thing and what other bad things could it have done - actually, what does it actually do?

Ummmmmm, actually - was it supposed to be "env-update" that I was supposed to run? :roll:

Last edited by LucaSpiller on Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
blendmaster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-update is a /etc updater. /etc is where all the configuration files for your computer is kept. when you update packages, somtimes they need new config files. portage puts little hidden files in /etc. you should only run etc-update when the end of emerge output says so. when you run it. it asks you if you want to replace the old configs with new ones. normally, just do the -5 to let it do it automatically. but if you have custom configs (like my /etc/ntp.conf) then don't change those ones. env-update just reinitializies the enviroment variables. the enviroment variables are settings like current directory and the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS variable. this, i think, is run automatically by portage after every ebuild.
back to your problem, methinks you ran "source /etc/profile". /etc/profile is the file which controls special PATH env variables and colors and stuff like that. it affects all users. if you want personal changes, put them in a file .bashrc. i don't know the syntax for changing the bash prompt. for the colors problem, you probably just mean colors in ls. for that, make sure somthing like "alias ls="ls --color="auto" -p"" is in your .bashrc or in /etc/profile. this makes it so ls outputs in color and put / on the end of folders and such. read "man ls" for more info.

youre welcome.
geforce 6600gt
LucaSpiller
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I definately ran "etc-update" and nothing else - what that ran though I don't know.

Anyway I managed to solve my problem by copying over the /etc/profile from the install CD - everything seems to be good so far.

By my bash prompt colour problems I mean this: by default the bash prompt displays something like this:
<hostname> <directory> #
Mine just displayed something like this:
<username>@<hostname> <full directory>$

Anyway its solved now, thanks for your help and explaining that.
blendmaster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if its fixed, edit your first post and put "[solved]" in the subject.
geforce 6600gt
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: