View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tscolari
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Nautilus + Monted partitions Reply with quote

I was installing gnome in another computer and i noticed that nautilus (and gnome desktop) detects when you have a monted partition or cd-disk and shows them in the "computer"
But my gnome instalation/nautilus dont do this, Im using the last stable version of it, but it doesnt make that "mounted detection"...

How can i make it do it?
I saw no diference between the other computer instalation and the one i got here
gustafson
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you correctly specified your drives to automount in /etc/fstab? For example, with my cd drive:

/dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /mnt/cdrom0 iso9660 auto,users,ro 0 0

In the above example, it will automatically mount it (and add it to the desktop, and make it available in nautilas) for all users that are in the users group.
tscolari
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is my fstab for the cdrom and the other storing partition:

/dev/cdroms/cdrom1 /cdr iso9660 noauto,user 0 0
/dev/hda6 /mnt/arquivos vfat defaults,gid=100,umask=005,user 0 0

i dont use auto because i mount the cd only when i need it, but these 2 lines ive copied from the other gentoo instalation fstab and there it works well
could it be otherthing?
stealth_gsx1300r
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably need to have famd running. Once you install it, you have to add it to your services
rc-update add famd default

It is used to notify nautilus to changes in a file.
I am not sure, but I think nautilus uses this to poll the mtab to see when there are new mounts.
tscolari
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive tryed here using famd at default runlevel as you said but it didnt make any diference... any other idea that could result in nautilus showing the monted partitions/drives?
gustafson
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few thoughts...

Code:

how many cd drives do you have? If you have only one, I think it should be /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 (not cdrom1). Also, by saying noauto, you are specifically calling for the drive to not be automounted. Change this to auto. Also, the group user and the group users are not the same, check to see if your user is assigned to the group user. Finally, and I'm not certain on this, but I believe gid=100 would only allow this device to be viewable by the user who holds id number 100, so check to see what number is assigned to the user you want to see the device (or just remove this constraint).
tscolari
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gustafson wrote:
Just a few thoughts...

Code:

how many cd drives do you have? If you have only one, I think it should be /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 (not cdrom1). Also, by saying noauto, you are specifically calling for the drive to not be automounted. Change this to auto. Also, the group user and the group users are not the same, check to see if your user is assigned to the group user. Finally, and I'm not certain on this, but I believe gid=100 would only allow this device to be viewable by the user who holds id number 100, so check to see what number is assigned to the user you want to see the device (or just remove this constraint).

okay, ive 2 cdroms drives here, thats because i use the cdrom1 (there is a line for the 0 also).
Im using gid=500 because Ive done a special group to be able to write in the vfat drive, so not all users have this privilege, thats for using togheter with the umask setting.
I will check this user/users stuff, but this fstab, worked showing the cdroms drives, partitions, etc... in the other instalation, exactly the same (it was in the same computer).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: