View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brettlpb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:47 am    Post subject: KDE/Gnome watching movies over Samba Reply with quote

Is there a way I can make mplayer stream movies over samba? Currently, I use mplayer for all my video needs, but if I double-click a movie thats shared over samba, it copies the whole thing over to a local temp file, then starts the movie.

The only way I've been able to "stream" a movie is by "faking it as local" in other words, going to the consoel and actually mounting the samba share to a location, then running it from there, which is entirely to much work.

Ideas?
Vidar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, mounting the share is the only sane way I see. You could at it to your /etc/fstab file and mount it at startup. Or you could write a very small bash script to mount it, and link that on your desktop.
brettlpb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really want to keep a samba share continually mounted at all times, it seems to get quirky when the other computer reboots or whatever. It just seems so annoying that it even wants to copy the file locally... how does the mplayer-plugin thing stream movies online? I figured there was some kind of streaming option I was missing in the mplayer manual pages. Oh well.
paulisdead
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can always set the share to noauto in fstab and then make an icon in the desktop in kde/gnome, or a disk mounter in gkrellm to mount/unmount the share with 1 click. Here's the line from my fstab
Code:
//hal/pub       /mnt/smb                smbfs           credentials=/root/.smbpasswd,uid=1000,gid=407,lfs       0 0

where hal's the servername, pub's the sharename. /root/.smbpasswd is a file that's only readable by root, so the pw doesn't have to be kept in a publicly readable file like fstab. Here's an example of a credentials file
Code:
username=bovila
password=FartHammer

and of course use the appropriate username/pw.
bennettp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I find that automount is the easiest solution. I set it to unmount a share after 15 secs, so you usually avoid the quirks. Of course, you need to remeber to close all files/folders when not in use, so that autofs can unmount the share.

In my setup, /mnt/tom/ contains all the shares from the host "tom".

/etc/autofs/auto.master contains:
Code:
/mnt/tom          /etc/autofs/auto.tom    --timeout 15
#You could change the timeout to a higher value if the computer is often switched on.

And /etc/autofs/auto.tom contains:
Code:
SharedDocs  -fstype=smbfs,credentials=/etc/samba/private/bennett.credentials,fmask=0770,dmask=0770  ://tom/SharedDocs
vids  -fstype=smbfs,gid=users,fmask=0755,dmask=0755   ://tom/vids
#etc...

To see the files in //tom/SharedDocs, I just go to /mnt/tom/SharedDocs. For //tom/vids, got to /mnt/tom/vids, etc.

To get autofs working, you need to compile the kernel module, and emerge the userspace daemon (net-fs/autofs). Then to enable it, just start the userspace daemon (/etc/init.d/autofs start).
Registered Linux User #363420
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: