View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JackDog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Gnome questions... Reply with quote

I usually stick to KDE but I thought I would give gnome28 a shot on one of my desktops so I could compare them. I have run into a couple issues though that I cant find a way around.

1 How do I turn Spatial Nautilus off? I have googled and searched on these forums however all I find is people saying "yes you can turn it off" but not how. It gets insane to have 7 file windows (er objects ;)) open when navigating a source tree along with all my other apps that are running. I surfed through gconf but found nothing (And people say KDE has too many options ;)).

2. How do I install themes? I went to art.gnome.org downloaded a bunch of packages, used th theme/style/icon selector but no matter what, the theme/style/icon is never actually installed. I guess I have to figure out where to put the extracted contents by hand.
pem
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. You can directly 'browse' the old way by selecting the 'browse' item under the menu that appears when right clicking your Desktop icons. There is also a way via the GConf tool (gconf-editor) but it's way too much burried for me. Anyway, you can avoid having a new window opened each time a click by using the middle button. By getting used to it, the spatial view makes me a real addict.
2. Su root, untar your icons under the /usr/share/icons and your themes under /usr/share/themes

New edition:
To set the 'browse' mode instead of the 'spatial', go under gconf-editor (GConf):
apps>nautilus>preferences>always_use_browser mark the checkbox.
There is also a way via the command line:
Code:
gconftool-2 --type boolean --set /apps/nautilus/preferences/always_use_browser true

There is a good article here.
Registered user #30505

Last edited by pem on Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Remillard
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pem wrote:
1. You can directly 'browse' the old way by selecting the 'browse' item under the menu that appears when right clicking your Desktop icons. There is also a way via the GConf tool (gconf-editor) but it's way too much burried for me. Anyway, you can avoid having a new window opened each time a click by using the middle button. By getting used to it, the spatial view makes me a real addict.
2. Su root, untar your icons under the /usr/share/icons and your themes under /usr/share/themes

An addict to spatial nautilus? I tried gnome (admittedly 2.6) and that multiple window thing drove me nuts. I couldn't figure out what the point was other than trying to looks like explorer with multiple windows configured.

Is there actually something useful about spatial nautilus? I couldn't find the space part anywhere (especially after all the windows opened up and cluttered the desktop.) I switched back to KDE, but if I could find a silver lining to the nautilus issue, I would play with gnome again.

Regards,
Remillard
pem
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Remillard: Well, everybody has its own idea of it. At the beginning, I was quite pissed about this behavior. After having read few articles on how to use it and, I must confess, after a week of trial, I've started to get addicted to it.

The drawback with it, is that you have to decide wether you need to open a new window (left click) or to carry on with the same one (middle click). But is it really a drawback? In any case, it provides you a faster way for copying or sorting files (look at the MAC). If this decision is too heavy to live on a daily basis, as I've pointed it out, there is a way to get rid of it (burried but it exists).

Now, I don't use Gnome anymore but FVWM and ROX. These are way beyound the speed and freedom that a good KDE or Gnome can achieve. And, guess what ... I've set ROX to mimic the spatial way Nautilus browse files.
Registered user #30505
JackDog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how do I permanently turn off spatial nautilus again? I am sure its great but I have used it for 5 days now and dont want to use gnome because of it. I am a developer and cannot stand to have 30 windows open sorting through source trees. Even if I middle click, how do I back up a directory?

I am also installing gnome2.8 on a siblings computer so that they do not have to worry about virri on campus. Gnome is great for beginning users, takes the worry about learning a new OS IMO. They also do not want spatial nautilus on theirs though.
erwan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From 2.8, you can easily switch to browse mode-only.

Edit->Preferences, behavior, and check "always open in navigation windows".
aethyr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should really search the forums since this has ben mentioned 100 times over, but for reference sake:

In GNOME 2.6:
Code:
gconftool-2 --type boolean --set /apps/nautilus/preferences/always_use_browser true

or use gconf-editor.

In GNOME 2.8, follow erwan's method.
lucasjb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Gnome questions... Reply with quote

Hi,

pem wrote:

Personally I wouldn't do this. IIRC, writing to /usr violates the FHS and could put you at risk of having your custom installed themes (in this case) being clobbered by your package manager (Portage) in a future update. GNOME themes should be placed in ~/.themes, this is where they will go if you drag and drop the theme tarball onto the GNOME theme manager or click the Install Theme... button. If you want them to be available system wide, you might think about /usr/local/share/themes. Ditto for icons.

JackDog wrote:
I am a developer and cannot stand to have 30 windows open sorting through source trees. Even if I middle click, how do I back up a directory?

Hit the Backspace key, or click the button in the lower lefthand corner of each window.

For what it's worth, I like spatial Nautilus. ArsTechnica ran a couple of articles on the logic and reasoning behind it that is a good read if you're interested in the topic. At the time of the GNOME 2.6 release I remember there was a lot of comment from people who "hated" it and even some guy who wanted to fork GNOME (anyone remember GONEME?). Anyway, it seems to have died down and GNOME is still going strong, I guess that says something.
_cookie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pem wrote:
@Remillard: Well, everybody has its own idea of it. At the beginning, I was quite pissed about this behavior. After having read few articles on how to use it and, I must confess, after a week of trial, I've started to get addicted to it.

The drawback with it, is that you have to decide wether you need to open a new window (left click) or to carry on with the same one (middle click). But is it really a drawback? In any case, it provides you a faster way for copying or sorting files (look at the MAC). If this decision is too heavy to live on a daily basis, as I've pointed it out, there is a way to get rid of it (burried but it exists).

Now, I don't use Gnome anymore but FVWM and ROX. These are way beyound the speed and freedom that a good KDE or Gnome can achieve. And, guess what ... I've set ROX to mimic the spatial way Nautilus browse files.

Is it possible to reverse the buttons, so that if I left click, it opens in the current window, and if i middle click, it opens in a new window?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: