View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tobega
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Mozilla - why the gnome shit? Reply with quote

Looking at the latest emerges for mozilla-thunderbird and mozilla-firefox, I wonder why they depend on so much gnome stuff? The releases just before did not depend on it, so it should not be necessary...
madmango
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... Like what gnome stuff?

I mean, they ARE gtk based. And dependencies are highly USE dependent.
Xk2c
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do not need all the gnome stuff, you could add
Code:
-gnome
to your USE flags in /etc/make.conf

then try emerge -pv mozilla again
tobega
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: thanks, but it should not be necessary... Reply with quote

To illustrate, this is what I get:

emerge --pretend mozilla-thunderbird

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild N ] dev-util/indent-2.2.9-r1
[ebuild N ] gnome-base/orbit-2.10.3
[ebuild N ] gnome-base/gconf-2.6.2
[ebuild N ] gnome-base/gnome-mime-data-2.4.1
[ebuild N ] net-nds/portmap-5b-r8
[ebuild N ] app-admin/fam-2.7.0
[ebuild N ] gnome-base/libbonobo-2.6.2
[ebuild N ] gnome-base/gnome-vfs-2.6.1.1
[ebuild U ] mail-client/mozilla-thunderbird-0.8 [0.7.3]

You see that there suddenly are new dependencies that never existed before...
tobega
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: anyway, it worked Reply with quote

The tip worked, so I suppose I should remember it. On the other hand (at the risk of repeating myself) why should I have to opt out rather than opt in (to gnome)?

I see other packages where there also are an incredible number of unrelated dependencies, especially some of the java development ones. Surely this bloating is against the gentoo spirit?
Xk2c
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: anyway, it worked Reply with quote

tobega wrote:
I see other packages where there also are an incredible number of unrelated dependencies, especially some of the java development ones. Surely this bloating is against the gentoo spirit?

All the depencies mostly depnd on your USE flags, as you can see here.
If you would like to have a lean system you have to take care of your USE flags and maybe set them partikular per package.
tobega
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Yes, but... Reply with quote

USE flags make more sense as +something that I want to have extra. They do not really make sense as -something that I decided not to use.

Besides, how should one differentiate from the case when a dependency is absolutely needed?

Making a package I think one should never add an unnecessary dependency. Rather, if many want a mozilla-gnome package, I am sure one could create a mozilla-gnome package....
nsahoo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes, but... Reply with quote

tobega wrote:
USE flags make more sense as +something that I want to have extra. They do not really make sense as -something that I decided not to use.

Thats just a different way of looking at it. The solution is to do an emerge -va package and LOOK through the use flags. If you like them, go ahead, else change it before emerging.
Quote:

Besides, how should one differentiate from the case when a dependency is absolutely needed?

You can't opt out of a dependency which is absolutely needed, by using use flags.
Quote:

Making a package I think one should never add an unnecessary dependency. Rather, if many want a mozilla-gnome package, I am sure one could create a mozilla-gnome package....

That would make gentoo like debian where you have 10 different packages for each program because, they have been compiled somewhat differently.
Xk2c
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes, but... Reply with quote

tobega wrote:

There are only two ways. You learn and know it by yourself, or you just install what portage suggest.
"Gentoo is the distro of choices" and my experience is you are free to make your own decessions and also sometimes you are forced to make your own decessions.
Would you like to have a lean system or would you like not to care about depencies?

tobega wrote:
Making a package I think one should never add an unnecessary dependency.

afaik this _never_ happens. The dependencies in the ebuilds are there for good reasons.
The problem here is more to investigate where and how they are necessary as it isn´t allways obviously.

tobega wrote:
Rather, if many want a mozilla-gnome package, I am sure one could create a mozilla-gnome package....

Those many are the gnome devs. They deceided to pull in mozilla in their main system.
So not gnome is a dependency from mozilla but mozilla is a dependency from gnome and therefor you have to set -gnome, if you do not like all that gnome stuff.
tobega
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You can't opt out of a dependency which is absolutely needed, by using use flags.

Exactly, you just about proved my point. I know you mean that my flags will not make a difference if the dep is needed. But the point is that I should not even have to assume that I might be able to remove a dependency because someone put in an unnecessary one.

The reason for existence of Gentoo is freedom of choice, nothing should be pushed upon me. I mean, I did not even get basic things like a syslog without choosing one for myself. That is good. Does that fact maybe wake your brain up as regards unnecessary dependencies in emerges?

If I did use gnome, surely my gnome packages would be updated because I emerged gnome, and would not need to emerge them in the mozilla package?

Gentoo only needs a mozilla emerge and a gnome emerge. My suggestion of a mozilla-gnome emerge is that it would then cater to those who might need it, though I honestly cannot see the use.
tobega
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes, but... Reply with quote

tobega wrote:

Xk2c wrote:
afaik this _never_ happens. The dependencies in the ebuilds are there for good reasons.
The problem here is more to investigate where and how they are necessary as it isn´t allways obviously.

Well, I can tell you for a fact that it does happen. None of the ones portage listed for me above are necessary for mozilla-thunderbird. If you really want, I could give you other examples too.
aethyr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, there are many instances of ebuilds that have unneeded dependencies hardcoded into them. I maintain some ebuilds for myself in my portage overlay to prevent them from pulling in extra things I don't want.

This has been an issue in Gentoo as far back as I can remember. In fact, over a year ago there was an "ebuilds janitors" project started to try to combat this with the addition of new use flags, but the reception of developers was... not warm.

Anyways, your best option is to file a bug in bugzilla explaining what dependencies are actually necessary, and why you feel the hard-dependency should be removed (and made dependant on a use flag).

[edit] As far as the gnome use flag, it's in the install guide to check your make.conf to make sure you have appropriate use flags. It tells you which ones are included by default. If you don't follow the instructions and end up with packages that you don't want, the Gentoo devs can't be blamed for that. They try to pick sensible defaults for the use flags. Besides, it's easy to see what's available with "-pv", so the system is really there to help you get only the packages you want.
tobega
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

I am glad that it is still so easy to get it the way I want to, the tip about -gnome worked very well.

Maybe I just have to accept things the way they are and be thankful that someone does in fact maintain an ebuild. To be sure: I am thankful for the maintainers of ebuilds, thankyou all. I just wish..., well, you know by now :-)
nsahoo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tobega wrote:
Quote:

Exactly, you just about proved my point. I know you mean that my flags will not make a difference if the dep is needed. But the point is that I should not even have to assume that I might be able to remove a dependency because someone put in an unnecessary one.

you missed my point. If package 'a' "absolutely" depends on package 'b' you'll not get a use flag to opt in and opt out of package 'b'. It's not given because, 'a' "absolutely" depends on 'b', i.e. without 'b', 'a' won't work, like kde without qt. you don't get a use flag to emerge kde without qt. That is an example of absolute dependence.

*All* use flags that you get for opting in and opting out, are optional. i.e. you can - all use flags and be able to emerge a usable program. In that sense, the packages use flags bring in, are not _absolutely_ required for the main package to work, they are optional.
tobega
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nsahoo wrote:
tobega wrote:
Quote:

you missed my point. If package 'a' "absolutely" depends on package 'b' you'll not get a use flag to opt in and opt out of package 'b'. It's not given because, 'a' "absolutely" depends on 'b', i.e. without 'b', 'a' won't work, like kde without qt. you don't get a use flag to emerge kde without qt. That is an example of absolute dependence.

*All* use flags that you get for opting in and opting out, are optional. i.e. you can - all use flags and be able to emerge a usable program. In that sense, the packages use flags bring in, are not _absolutely_ required for the main package to work, they are optional.

Exactly, I understood you. I can understand a USE-flag for adding something. But how should I expect to be able to put in a "-" USE-flag? Why should I even consider the possibility?
magnesium
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that just because you did not define a use flag in make.conf or in the line that you emerge a package with does not mean that the use flag is not defined on your system. This is the issue that you are running into.

if you want to find out all of the use flags that are defined on your system(a.k.a. the effective results), run the following command
Code:
emerge info

You can see from this that there are other use flags then you specified, defined on your system. The whole point of the -flag is to override these default use flags. You should have guessed it by now, but gnome IS in this collection.

the defaults are located in a file called /etc/make.profile/make.defaults but DO NOT modify this file. If you see something you don't want there, set a -flag for it in your /etc/make.conf file.

And that, in a nutshell, is how USE flags are used in gentoo.
nigelhannam
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: Hhhmmm. I need to read and type quicker :)

If you run:

emerge info

you will see the list use flags that will be used when merging. these flags include a set of defaults as well as the settings that you put in /etc/make.conf

It's worth spending a bit of time checking if these are appropriate for how you want to build your system
tobega
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that is a long list...

OK, I need to check that, that explains why it adds a lot of python and perl stuff too. Ouch, I am dreading the trial and horror of removing them all, feeling the creeping fear of "perhaps somebody had a VERY good reason for making something a default...". Well, here I go, easy to fix in gentoo, right?
TheMole
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is... someone has to decide when a dependency is a sane default. For instance: it is possible to compile xchat2 without gtk (by adding -gtk to your useflags). Now, I think we can all agree that xchat in text mode just plain sucks, and is only usefull in those rare cases where we can't start X or something.

I therefore would assume it a sensible default to have +gtk there for this program. If I really want a command-line irc client, I'll probably go for irsii or something. Same goes for gftp, etc... You don't want people to have to add +gtk to their useflags everytime one emerges xchat, right? After all, if I go to xchat.org and look at the screenshots, I distinctly get the idea that the gtk interface is what the developers intended me to use. They propose it as a default. I have the option to opt out, but that's not what they designed the program for.

You can always argue about whether something is a sensible default or not, but you can't argue about the need for sensible defaults. Gnome/Mozilla intermingling is something both sides have decided upon fairly recently, and thus there are some good arguments for the inclusion of gnome dependencies by default. Consider yourself lucky: gentoo provides you the possibility to opt out, most other distros don't.

Greetz,

Danny
loki99
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tobega wrote:

Exactly, I understood you. I can understand a USE-flag for adding something. But how should I expect to be able to put in a "-" USE-flag? Why should I even consider the possibility?

i use xfce4 as DE and so i set the use flags
Code:
 -gnome -kde
so i don´t have to put up with all that stuff.
dark_priest
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes, but... Reply with quote

[quote="Xk2c"]
tobega wrote:

tobega wrote:

then you tell me why aMSN emerges XMMS (!)

(the anser is: the optional and quite useless XMMS plug-in, which allows you to send someone the mp3 you're currently playing)

COMPLETELY unnescicary.
monkey89
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes, but... Reply with quote

[quote="dark_priest"]
Xk2c wrote:
tobega wrote:

tobega wrote:

then you tell me why aMSN emerges XMMS (!)

(the anser is: the optional and quite useless XMMS plug-in, which allows you to send someone the mp3 you're currently playing)

COMPLETELY unnescicary.

The reason is that for many other packages in the portage tree, xmms is a sensible default to have enabled.

There's absolutely no way to make the system perfect. That's what emerge -pv is for; to see what USE flags can/should be changed and what dependencies the current emerge would do. That's what per-package USE flags in /etc/portage/package.use are for; because rarely will one over-arching set of USE flags completely satisfy a user.

If you want the system to be perfect and free from extras, you need to put a little time in.

-Monkey
dark_priest
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensible.. ? maybe.
fun? indeed.

nescicary for CHAT CLIENT? : no
twstd3bc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even worse, I think, is when updated packages unnecessarily require updated versions of dependencies. For example, package A-1.2-r1 depends on package B-3.4-r4 and then when package A needs to be upgraded to verson 1.2-r3 the ebuild requires package B version 3.4-r5 when it's not necessary to upgrade B. To make things worse, the new minor revision of package B might require 10 new updates to perl, or something like that. This has major side effects if you don't normally update ALL of your packages to the latest, including unrelated ones, because you'll get blocks from emerge for TOTALLY UNRELATED packages with incidental dependencies. The net result is "emerge world -upv" shows 100 packages when it should only show 5-6, and keeping stable packages marked in packages.mask will block updates to unrelated packages.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: