A whine about WINE
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LucaSpiller
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: A whine about WINE Reply with quote

Well I have had so much luck with Gentoo so far I decided to give WINE ago. Emerging it went nice and smoothly, I am not sure how recent the package is though as it didn't even download it (suggesting it was on my live-cd).

After a few minor configurations with the config file (just drives) I decided to have ago at installing a few games I had just bought. The first was Ceasar 3, the installation went fine - albeit a bit slow - but it seemed ok. So I launched it, and it seemed to load up OK, but then it just asked me to reinsert the CD - even though it was still in the drive (mounted).

So I gave up on that, and tried SimCity 3000. As this was such a popular game it is bound to work, right? Wrong. :x Again the installation went fine, but when I tried to launch it I got an error message asking me if I want to debug it - or something like that.

As I said before I haven't really changed the config file, but I am not really sure what I do need to change. Any ideas will be appriciated.

So far I haven't tried WineX - I don't really want to download loads of stuff from CVS, it takes forever - but I may give it ago one day....
sgaap
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not everything works with wine, and while sometimes its just a matter of configuration in a lot of cases the app doesnt work at all (which can differ per wine version)

Dont expect wine to run you windows programs to run flawless, most OpenGL games do but a lot of them (direct3d games) dont

Winex is more focust on games but only runs a handfull games more than wine (because it has "better" direct3d 8/9 support), but the full version does include closed source copyprotection stuff which deals with cd problems like you have with ceasar

For ceasar you can try to use a no-cd patch, this will probably fix your cd problem
simcity3000 simply sucks (even on windows), but there is a native port (from lokigames, maybe still in stock with some linux games vendors)
PZoned
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i definatly reccommend getting CVSCedega, or pay $5 a month for a transgaming subscription and get the Cedega Binaries
u2mike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say bug developers to put out games for linux. Why should we switch to linux to spend hours of screwing around to get our old windows apps to work?
Duty
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because Windows users have to spend hours of screwing around to get their old windows apps to work, too? :twisted:
LucaSpiller
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgaap wrote:
simcity3000 simply sucks (even on windows)

Tell me about it - on my laptop (XP) it crashes when the city gets too big, I think this is because it has low memory though.

At the moment I suppose I will have to stick with dual booting with Windows ME, not a brilliant option. I expect I can get much better performance than WINE though, so I can live with the pain and torture for a while
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: