Looking for a good PIM application
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lordan1971
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: Looking for a good PIM application Reply with quote

I hope somebody has some good ideas. I need a good PIM setup. I really don't need any groupware functionality, as it is purely for personal use. I have played around with evolution and korganizer/kontact a bit. I like korganizer apart from its memory usage. Didn't like evo at all, but it looks as if evo2 might be a bit better. But the biggest problem with these two is that I have to start X to use them. Tried konsolekalendar, but it still requires X even though it just outputs to a console..

I also tried a few web based groupware apps. They're OK I guess, but none of them play well with lynx/links, so I'm forced to 'startx' yet again.. *sigh*

I ended up writing a few scripts to dump the korganizer/evo todo lists, it wasn't too hard since they both use iCal, vCal, xCal, yCal, mCal, bCal, noCal, whatever.. But I'm still left with having to start X just because I want to add an appointment, a todo item or a contact.

What I want is a set of apps (I prefer several apps to one big one), that allow me to organize my contacts, my todo list and my appointments. Some form of diary/journal app would be nice as well. Don't need a mail client since mutt already exists. I really don't mind if there is an optional X interface that can be started when I'm in X. Gtk, qt, tk, whichever is fine with me, I'm not religious. I'd prefer that it doesn't depend on KDE or Gnome, though. I'd like it to have a nice ncurses interface as well. But most importantly, I need to be able to work with it from the command line. For example, to find out what is my next engagement I should be able to

Code:

some-appointment-app --next

I should be able to query the addressbook for a persons email address *without* having to enter some interactive UI.

Could emacs do this stuff? I'm a Vi guy, but I've toyed around with emacs a bit. Seems I saw some calendar plug-in. But then how would I query my list of contacts without starting emacs itself?

To sum it up:
* Appointments, Todo list, Contacts and Diary (journal) applications.
* Should not force me to start X to use them.
* Optional X interface is OK.
* NCurses interface is a +.
* Must be able to dump information to stdout so I can do something useful with it.
* Also, I don't want any form of alarm daemon thingy! I already have cron installed, and will write the scripts I need myself.

Does anybody have any ideas? I've looked around a bit. Downloaded a few todo-list apps from portage, but haven't found anything that gives a boner yet. I'm getting impatient, and when I get impatient I take a few days sick leave and start coding.
thepeel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to look at http://palcal.sourceforge.net/ . It is a good starting point I guess and is the closest thing I have found to what you are looking for. I'd be very interested to see anything you code because I was trying to code something on my own as well.
lordan1971
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply!

Checking out palcal. I've been looking into a few other bits and pieces off the 'Net. Mostly abandoned stuff, but maybe something to use as a starting point. There are a few apps out there that do *almost* what I'm looking for.

I've fetched palcal and will look into it in the morning. I'll let you know on my own progress as well..
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: