Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
HELP!! to edit grub.conf through knoppix?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
illstrategies
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:01 am    Post subject: HELP!! to edit grub.conf through knoppix? Reply with quote

hi i just installed 2.4/rev6, although ive f'd up my grub.conf file (typo error, nothing serious; its just annoying having to edit it at the gen2 splash)... and probably my fstab since i get an error midway thru boot process saying ROOT cannot be mounted, thus not being able to load my desktop (or anything else for that matter)

im using knoppix right now to write this thread, but i cant figure out how to get root access to edit my grub.conf and fstab? when i open up terminal to chroot (via su command), it says to me:

"chroot: cannot run command /bin/bash : no such file or directory"

im hoping this is a common problem and/or easy fix/solution... anyone out there have any help/ideas?

id sincerely thank/appreciate it since ive spent 1/2 days installing/configuring gentoo/linux

also.. im also a novice/"newbie" so layman/baby terms would be great/awesome
black hole sun
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the following commands to get to your fstab. Change X to the partition number on which you installed Gentoo. Change Y to the partition number on which you installed /boot.

mkdir /mnt/gentoo
mount /dev/hdaX /mnt/gentoo
mount /dev/hdaY /mnt/gentoo/boot
mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc
chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
source /etc/profile
nano -w /etc/fstab
illstrategies
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope, no luck... still stuck with this telling me about /bin/bash being non-existant while (trying to) chrooting
Griswold
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, there should be a special terminal called root-terminal or something under the knoppix menu. This will log u in with root access in which u may then procede to use black hole sun's commands. I am not sure exactly where it is, but it shouldnt be that hard to figure out, since i havent used knoppix in a while. The other option is to boot with the gentoo livecd and then you dont have to worry about the su command or sudo or anything since it automatically logs u in as root. You may use links on the livecd to view this post if u need help, or just write it down on paper.
illstrategies
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

much to my dismay, i looked at my mounted "root" partition while in knoppix jsut now and there are ZERO items in the folder. wtf i went step by step with the handbook and compiled the kernel, did this-that... took 2 days to finish this shyte and i get nothing. something must be seriously wrong, i think maybe some hacker bastard took advantage of my comp and erased everything?

ive heard so many good things about gen2... how great it is, how powerful your machine could be, how simple it is to upgrade.. but honestly this 2 day installation kills me. i want this OS but i dont want 2 have to suffer installing it for the 3rd time.. its giving me gray hairs. i might even switch back to win2k if i cant get it working this time.

does anyone have any pointers that arent included, or are obscure in the handbook to help along with this install? if so id appreciate the consideration alot
count_zero
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You realize that you don't have to chroot to edit your grub.conf file, right? Make sure you know your partition layout (check out the output of "fdisk -l" if you're not sure, the one with the * is the bootable partition). Boot into knoppix or any other livecd, mount your BOOT partition (not root) to any mountpoint (/mnt/boot/ works just fine, be sure to make the directory first) and edit the file:
Code:
mkdir /mnt/boot
mount /dev/hdaX /mnt/boot
nano -w /mnt/boot/grub/grub.conf

You can fix your /etc/fstab the same way but mounting with the ROOT partition, as listed in your partition layout. If you're getting no files when you mount, you may have mounted the wrong partition. Check fdisk -l.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: