View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starnix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:26 am    Post subject: Preparing for Gnome 2.8 Reply with quote

Ok, I want to upgrade to gnome 2.8 when it is available in portage. I also want to make sure my system is setup correctly for it to work out of the box.

For instance, for the Gnome Volume Manager to work properly, do I need to enable anything like supermount in my kernel?

I have UDEV installed already. Is there anything else? Also, the automatic discovery of network shares. ANything I have to do for that?

I am assuming that if I want it to discover a digital camera I will need to add the proper modules to the kernel.

What about the VNC server. Is that a better choice to use than the standard tightvnc that you can get thru portage? Will I need to open a port on my firewall to let it thru?

I am already planning on erasing my entire home directory to get rid of any Gnome 2.6 settings and start from scratch. I just want it to impress me. Not have to hunt down incompatabilities between 2.6 and 2.8. Anyone have any pointers?

Also, is it still hard masked? When will I be able to install it?

I know its alot to throw out there. Sorry.
tellerpenn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Include "hal" and "eds" in your make.conf USE flags. That will help with getting gnome-volume-manager to work (hal), and with getting evolution data server as well (allows your appointments to pop up on the desktop to remind you and stuff).

I'm not sure of much else, but I've definitely seen those suggestions around.
asiobob
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed gnome 2.8 by listing a sh*t load of packes in /etc/portage/packages.unmask and packages.keywords :D

like its been said

+ enable udev (you say you've done this)
+ disable supermount, submount stuff like that

emerge gnome with hal in your useflags. if you plan to use evolution for appointment tracking then enable eds in your flags as well (so when you click on the clock it shows your appointments)

some for about gnome-volume-manager

if you have usb drives etc.. I suggest you make some udev rules so in your fstab you stop refering them to /dev/sda1 etc.. rather make some rules so you refer the mo /dev/usbdrive /dev/sonyCamera etc...

Otherwise (from my experience) some thing breaks... take this eg

I had /dev/sda1 set for my camera (I was to lazy to make a rule)
but I had /dev/usbdrive as a rule.

I had both enteries in my fstab and I'd mount away.
but here's where things break with automouting...

if I plug in /dev/usbdrive its really a link to /dev/sda. gnome/hal whatever doesn't know which entery to mount and in my case HAL died. now its just spectualation on my part, but after I thought about it and removed sda enteries to a more sane persistent name this issue went away
tellerpenn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, as far as services go, in order for gnome-volume manager to work, you will need hotplug, hal, and dbus, so:

Code:
rc-update add hald default
rc-update add dbus default //not strictly necessary, hald starts dbus...
rc-update add hotplug default

Also, some people have complained about gnome acting odd until a reboot, this can be mitigated by using
Code:
ps -A

and killing all the associated gnome items (programs that are running aren't replaced until they are killed and restarted, in spite of the new file being put in the filesystem)

Finally, in a different thread, aethyr suggested using:
Code:
rm -rf ~/.nautilus ~/.metacity ~./gconf* ~/.gnome*

So, you might should use that rather than wiping /home...
asiobob
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do that (removing files) if things start to act wierd.
in my case its all cool :D
lordan1971
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I would be a bit careful with the rm bit, especially if you have done alot of customizing. First of all, as ASIO_BOB wrote, if you don't have a prob, then there is no need to do anything. I didn't have any problems either. Second, I'd rather back the files up. That way you can copy them back one at a time, once your Gnome 2.8 is stable. When you hit a file that breaks something, you can begin looking into it.

I think some ppl are far too quick at suggesting removing config files..
simon_irl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: gnome clock & evolution calendar Reply with quote

damn, damn, damn! i wish i'd seen something about the "eds" use flag before. i really want the evolution appointments in my gnome panel clock, but have spent so much time putting this (beautiful and stable) gnome 2.8 system together that i just can't be bothered starting again from scratch.

if i just rebuild the gnome panel applets with "eds" will the clock work with evolution...or do i have to recompile the whole of gnome? if i do this (emerge the whole of gnome 2.8 again) will it stuff up my settings, or will the new code fit seamlessly into my existing setup? i've emerged some small ebuilds over the top of existing installations, but i've never tried anything as big as gnome...i'm nervous that it will set my configuration files back to defaults, or do something even more heinous.

what should i do? is there a small subset of gnome packages that i can recompile to get the clock/evo thing happening, or do i have to reinstall gnome? if the latter, is this safe to do or will it stuff my settings?

any advice would be much appreciated.
simon_irl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: oops Reply with quote

ok, just answered part of my own question...recompiling the gnome-applets with "eds" in make.conf did absolutely squat. i'd still like some advice with the rest of the question!
cederberg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject: Reemerge gnome-panel instead Reply with quote

Looks like what you need to do is reemerge gnome-panel with the eds use flag set, at least judging from /usr/portage/profiles/use.local.desc where it is the only package with the eds use flag.
simon_irl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: clock now works with evolution! Reply with quote

thank you cederberg! it worked...at first wouldn't let me back into X except as root (had me worried!) but a reboot fixed it (something different about logging in from within gdm?)...gnome 2.8 is now working perfectly, with all the bells & whistles i wanted. cederberg rocks! gnome rocks! gentoo rocks!

:)
dlm1065
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a new install on a gentoo box without anything. Gnome failed saying it needed the gtk2 flag set for one of the packages epi(something) so I also recommend you have that flag set
klaricmn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
damn, damn, damn! i wish i'd seen something about the "eds" use flag before. i really want the evolution appointments in my gnome panel clock, but have spent so much time putting this (beautiful and stable) gnome 2.8 system together that i just can't be bothered starting again from scratch.

Check out the "--newuse" flag for emerge. It appeared in one of the more recent versions of portage (2.0.50 or 2.0.51?)

--matt
Kathars!s
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tellerpenn wrote:
Also, as far as services go, in order for gnome-volume manager to work, you will need hotplug, hal, and dbus, so:

Code:

shouldn't hotplug be added to the "boot"-runlevel ?
Code:
rc-update add hotplug boot
rth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

udev is required in the kernel?
aethyr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathars!s wrote:
tellerpenn wrote:

Code:

shouldn't hotplug be added to the "boot"-runlevel ?
Code:
rc-update add hotplug boot

Actually, you really only need to add hald to the default runlevel, everything else (dbus, hotplug) will start automatically. And no, it shouldn't be added to boot anyways, because as you can read here,
Quote:
The boot runlevel starts all system-necessary services which all other runlevels use. The remaining three runlevels differ in what services they start: default is used for day-to-day operations

rth wrote:
udev is required in the kernel?

You should follow part 2, here:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/udev-guide.xml

I think you can ignore the bit about coldplug. I don't use it, and I don't think it's required anymore.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: