View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DevSolar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: X, directfb, svgalib, dri, glx, help? Reply with quote

My understanding of the graphics subsystem(s) of Linux is still rather fuzzy around the edges...

X is understood, I think. But numerous other packages and kernel options are flung at me - directfb, svgalib, drm, dri, glx, opengl, ... - and I can't really sort out what I would want / need and what not.

"make menuconfig" mentions XFree86 (was it in the DRI options?), but no word is lost on whether X.org X11 does support the same interface - that doesn't help either.

I want a console that offers more than 80x25 characters... but the "make menuconfig" does not offer me framebuffer drivers for the nVidia FX 5200 I use - I understood I need framebuffer to do anything beyond BIOS?

I am severely confused... Can someone point me to a summary on these things, so I can make educated decisions?
Oxyron
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if these are right, please correct me if i'm wrong.

SVGAlib - display library helping programs use framebuffer
DirectFB - similar to SVGAlib, but faster, with video acceleration
DRM,DRI - something to do with direct rendering
OpenGL - opensource 3D graphics library
GLX - something to do with OpenGL and X

For the framebuffer in console, you should select the VESA driver in menuconfig.
DevSolar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, let's see what I figured so far:

Framebuffer is some way to access graphics hardware (technically). It has nothing to do with "acceleration" of any kind. DirectFB is one library for doing this, SVGAlib is another.

I've caught up somewhere that there might be issues when using framebuffer in parallel with X Window?

DRM and DRI are two seperate technologies, supported by ... and ... respectively?

OpenGL is a 3D library that accesses the hardware through ...? (Does OpenGL use X primitives, does X use OpenGL primitives, does OpenGL use 3D acceleration, ...?)

GLX is "something to do with OpenGL and X".

Hm... I think I need more input... help?
DevSolar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*bump*

Come on, someone must know what he/she's installing... :?
Stormy Eyes
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DevSolar wrote:
*bump*

Come on, someone must know what he/she's installing... :?

If you want more than an 80x25 display in console, you have to go to the graphics support section in [Device Drivers] and build in VESA framebuffer support and the ability to select video modes. Fair warning: use of VESA framebuffer with nVidia's drivers can screw up your console if you switch from X to console using CTRL+ALT+F1.
DevSolar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, figures so far.

Still no info on what dri, drm, glx, svgalib, directfb et al. are about, and why I could want to install them?

I want nothing out of the ordinary - a X desktop that makes full use of the available hardware (i.e., 3D acceleration if available), without adding lots of useless stuff that might be meant for non-X environments or, worse yet, collide with each other.

When I made that first posting, I fully expected to be pointed towards some oft-quoted FAQ... I can't believe this ain't "frequently asked"?
Zarhan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DevSolar wrote:
OK, figures so far.

Still no info on what dri, drm, glx, svgalib, directfb et al. are about, and why I could want to install them?

Framebuffer = Way to access graphics hardware
SVGALib, DirectFB: Libraries that provide API's for different programs so that they can use the framebuffer. You don't really need to install these, if there is a program that uses these, they get in as dependencies.

GLX = X GL Extension. Program that uses OpenGL calls the GLX, which being part of X.org displays the graphics on the screen. OpenGL is a standard for 3D graphics. Kinda like Microsoft's Direct3D.
GLX is installed with X.org and XFree.

DRI/DRM: Direct rendering. Method to allow GLX to use graphic card's acceleration functionality. If not installed, the rendering will happen in software, which is much slower. Test the speed with 'glxgears' (installed with xorg). FPS will be much faster with DR enabled. Emerging DR will install a kernel modules for your specific graphics card.
The DRI/DRM drivers in kernel are for XFree 4.2 and below, not for Xorg or XFree 4.3 and above. Use package xfree-drm (for open-source drivers (almost all cards)), ati-drivers (for Radeons) or nvidia-drivers (for all Nvidia cards from TNT on forwards).
DevSolar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, now the picture becomes much clearer. Thank you!

Now, when I sift through the USE flags list...

X, opengl, directfb and svga are pretty clear now.

But two flags still have me confused:

"dga" - Adds DGA Support (Xfree86) (DGA=Direct Graphic Access)

I found that this is supposed "to allow direct access to the framebuffer, circumventing the X11 server". From what I gather this is for video playback? Is it XFree86-specific, or can this be used with X.org X11, too?

"sdl" - Adds support for Simple Direct Layer (media library)

From what I found on the web, this sounds a bit like DirectX, right?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: