View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lordan1971
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Gnome 2.8 and connect to ssh server Reply with quote

OK, I'm sure this has been answered countless times, but I just couldn't find it. I'm having some problems connecting to servers under Gnome 2.8. First of all, ftp works fine. I may have got samba to work (at least it gives an authentication dialog now, just keeps rejecting me, could be that the guys upstairs have changed their password, the bastards :twisted: ).

The problem is ssh. I have tried every version of typing the URL that I can think of. ssh://server, ssh://username@server, ssh://user:pass@server, etc.
But nothing seems to work. Initially I always got something on the lines of "unable to open.. please select another viewer". I emerged gnome-vfs-sftp and now I instead get "..could not login.." all the time. I would have hoped that gnome-keyring (or whatever it's called) would come and prompt me for a password. Is there something I have to do?

Hm.. I am trying to re-emerge gnome-vfs, and it tells me gnome-vfs-sftp blocks it, so I guess that functionality is in gnome-vfs itself. Unmerging.
hds
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont use gnome, but in a terminal (xterm, or on console) simply type "ssh 192.168.xxx.xxx" or whatever the ip of the machine in question is.
d99ma
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking to browse a computers filesystem try to substitute ssh:// for sftp://

/Martin
lordan1971
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hds, yes I have already confirmed that I can ssh into my FBSD server. The point was doing it with nautilus.. But thanks for a quick reply.

d99ma, tried sftp:// in all imaginable forms as well, but am still sol. I'm re-emerging gnome-vfs. Will give you feedback when that is done.
lordan1971
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, finished re-emerging. "Logged out" of gnome and went back in again. Now I'm back to the "Unable to open sftp://myserver. Please select a different viewer" problems again. I know that if I re-emerge gnome-vfs-sftp I will get a different message, "Unable to log in". So what am I to do? Emerge gnome-vfs-sftp or not? Seems it blocks gnome-vfs for one, and two apart from giving me a different error message it really doesn't help much. Any other ideas? I'm most definately doing something wrong, but what?
lordan1971
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I try to connect to a server using sftp/ssh I do get an icon on the desktop though, as well as in "Computer". Is this correct? I would have thought Computer->Network would have been a more logical place.. What should I have here? It's empty.
lordan1971
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, more weirdness. If I connect to my own machine through sftp:// it works. When I try to connect to my BSD server it tells me to use a different viewer. I can ssh into the BSD server from a console.
ottbr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the current ebuild for vfs only supports samba. I believe.
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ottbr wrote:
I know the current ebuild for vfs only supports samba. I believe.

he already said that he's installed gnome-vfs-sftp

Check the gnome-vfs-sftp homepage, I believe he said something about it having problems with some ssh implementations, try changing on your bsd box :)
catkfr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need gnome-vfs-sftp. It works on my machine under gnome 2.6 with just gnome-vfs with the ssl USE flag. gnome-vfs-sftp is obsolete since it was merged into gnome-vfs at least before 2.6 so it can only mess your system up.

You should uninstall gnome-vfs-sftp, check your USE flags and remerge gnome-vfs. If it still doesn't work, try shutting down gnome and remerging gnome-vfs from the console. When I was trying to get samba shares to work, I had to re-emerge gnome-vfs under the console for it to work...

As for the syntax ssh doesn't work under 2.6 but these do: sftp://server or sftp://user@server

And, sftp mounts appear in computer and not network. Network, contains, from my experience only samba shares direct links to computers and a link to windows networks which should allow you to browse through workgroups (but from my experience, this doesn't work very well if you have only linux boxes sharing samba)
lordan1971
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

catkfr, thanks for that. You confirmed what I suspected about gnome-vfs-sftp and gnome-vfs-extras being merged into the main gnome-vfs (and hence g-v-s and g-v-e blocking me from re-emerging gnome-vfs when installed).

I *always* to emerges from a console. My poor old T23 needs all the core it can get so I always destroy X before emerging.

Thanks for clarifying the issue about Computer/Network.

I still can't get sftp and samba to work, but to my great joy ftp works perfectly. Under 2.6, I had problems with ftp as well. So things are going in the right direction.

Quote:

Check the gnome-vfs-sftp homepage, I believe he said something about it having problems with some ssh implementations, try changing on your bsd box Smile

neuron, that's blasphemy! :wink: I belong the The Holy Order of *BSD.
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordan1971 wrote:

a typo on my part, what I actually meant was try to change ssh implementation on the bsd box ;)
joem
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get rid of gnome-vfs-sftp.

in gnome 2.8 you can just go to file->connect to server
set it to ssh, type in the ipaddress and login name and bam, you are set.
lordan1971
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neuron wrote:
lordan1971 wrote:

a typo on my part, what I actually meant was try to change ssh implementation on the bsd box ;)

That's how I understood it. And *that* is what I call blasphemy! :lol:

joem, gnome-vfs-sftp as well an gnome-vfs-extras are long gone. Also I just (10 minutes ago) emerged gnome-vfs-2.8.1, and there has been one change. I now do get computers and workgroups showing up in the network .. er.. hm.. object, was the word. So one step forward.

But, accessing machines through smb:// I get 'You do not have the permissions to view the contents of "<machine-name>"'. When I try to access a machine through sftp:// I get "Unable to open <machine-name>. please use a different viewer'.
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordan1971 wrote:
But, accessing machines through smb:// I get 'You do not have the permissions to view the contents of "<machine-name>"'. When I try to access a machine through sftp:// I get "Unable to open <machine-name>. please use a different viewer'.

the "you do not have permission to view the..."... I only get that when the other machine is set up wrong.

And you realize you need to specify something after sftp:// right? You can't browse computers using sftp, they dont announce their presence.
lordan1971
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neuron, yes of course I'm entering the host I want to reach. Have tried with sftp://host, sftp://user@host, sftp://ip and sftp://user@ip, without luck. Note that the message I get with sftp:// is "Nautilus cannot open sftp://<host>. Please select a different viewer". Just to make sure there was nothing wrong with my precioussss (that is, my bsd box), Connecting to both these machines works fine with ssh.

I get "You do not have permission to ..." when trying to connect to samba shares. Actually, this only happens when I try to connect to the one Windows machine we have in the office. Funny enough I can connect to it using smbclient.. Using smb:// on Linux machines works perfectly.

Since connecting to machines using ssh and smbclient works, and since there aren't more people complaining about using smb:// and sftp:// in Gnome 2.8, I must be doing something wrong. I've looked over the ebuilds to see it there is any dependency I could be missing, but I can't find any.
9-speed
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump, anybody find out how it does work?
I can login with ssh on the command line without a password, but with gnome-vfs-2.8.1-r2 I'm still not able to mount it...
9-speed
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!! I'm sorry but I guess I spoke to soon!!
I added the ssh mount in nautilus with the connect to server dialog so that it show up in computer. It didn't work right away then.
But, upon restarting nautilus it did!! So I have no problems anymore... Maybe I should report a bug though...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: