Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
KDE apps broken--authentication problem?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laurence
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: KDE apps broken--authentication problem? Reply with quote

I did a system re-build recently, and it seems to have broken KDE. For example, kdebugdialog fails with the following error messages:

Code:

DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Could not open network socket
QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
Session management error: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
kbuildsycoca running...
Reusing existing ksycoca

The details vary slightly from program to program (or invocation, perhaps), here is the output from k3b, run as root this time:

Code:

Session management error: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
kbuildsycoca running...
Reusing existing ksycoca

# killall -9 kdeinit
root@poly root # DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Could not open network socket

where I've killed all the kdeinit processes to clean up by hand. This time, though (I'm assuming it was running as root that changed things), k3b was able to continue, first popping up a dialog saying

Code:

There was an error setting up inter-process
communication for KDE.  The message returned
by the system was:

Cound not open network socket

Please check that the "dcopserver" program is running!

[OK]

and then (again, I suspect running as root making the difference) k3b is able to continue anyway and function.

I'm quite stumped at this point, but my guess is that I've screwed up whatever authentication kde processes use to connect to each other. Perhaps during the rebuild some keys got re-generated but others not?

I don't know if it is significant, but I did have KDE running during the rebuild. Perhaps stupid, but I couldn't really afford to take the machine down for a couple of days while rebuilding so much stuff. Now I'm wondering if that was a very bad idea.

I may have to take this to a KDE-specific forum, but I'm hoping some Gentooite understands the system well enough to guess the problem.

Dustin
Quantumstate
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, DCop problem. This probably has to do with .Xauthority in your home dir. Try restoring the old one.
laurence
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quantumstate wrote:
Ya, DCop problem. This probably has to do with .Xauthority in your home dir. Try restoring the old one.

I'd stumbled across something that suggested that, so I created a new test user. Still doesn't work--kde can't start for that user either.

I've dug up more info, though. Too much, almost, since it doesn't draw a picture, at least for me. Perhaps it will for someone.

First, it definitely involves DCOP as you suggested. Killing the kdeinit processes without "-9" after running a kde app gives them a chance to print error messages:

Code:

root@poly root # rosegarden &
[1] 5339
root@poly root # QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
kbuildsycoca running...
Reusing existing ksycoca

root@poly root #
root@poly root # killall kdeinit
Mutex destroy failure: Device or resource busy
root@poly root # DCOP aborting (delayed) call from 'kded' to 'klauncher'
DCOP aborting while waiting for answer from 'kded'
sh: line 1: iceauth: command not found
ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 5349, errno = 32
ERROR: KUniqueApplication: Pipe closed unexpectedly.

[1]+  Exit 255                rosegarden
root@poly root #

Note the explicit DCOP message, and the executables involved. Useful clues, I'm sure, for someone who understands KDE. However, I'm now wondering if it is not DCOP's fault. Note the mentione of iceauth, which I gather DCOP is based on. Most interesting is the "ish: line 1: iceauth: command not found" message, which suggests it could be a simple path problem in a script somewhere. Alas, I don't know what script, but it feels like progress of some ill-defined kind. iceauth was on the path when rosegarden was executed, though.

Second, I discovered that running any kde app from within a gnome session starts about seven kde processes (through kdeinit), and killing *any one of them* seems to unblock the IPC call and let the program finish starting up. Finally, I discovered that if I left the kde background processes running and just started the program over again, it would run. So presumably this is a call made during the initialization of one of those processes (I assume an authentication step done once in the life of the process).

As I said, all suggestive but no smoking gun yet. Very frustrating.

Dustin
Quantumstate
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the DCop server is dead. Check ~/.xsession-errors and /var/log/Xorg.0.log .

Be advised that
"QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used"
... is normal. I have hundreds of them.
laurence
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quantumstate wrote:
So the DCop server is dead. Check ~/.xsession-errors and /var/log/Xorg.0.log .

tail -f says no entries are made in either.

Quote:

Be advised that
"QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used"
... is normal. I have hundreds of them.

Ugh. I hate programs that generate stuff like that--seems like they are usually either written with a fancy application framework or an interpreted language. Sometimes I wonder if they are written by people who only use file managers and never see their program's normal output. Since I do, I pine for well-behaved C programs that don't generate command-line output unless asked and assume that if you care about any little problems that might have come up, you'll run a debugger on the corefile. :-)

Dustin
Quantumstate
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try creating a new user (<Ctl><Alt><F2>), so that a new kde structure will be created. While in console 2 log off, and in as that new user and startx.

This should start X and K, in the process creating a whole new .kde under that user's home.

But it is bad that there's nothing in /var/log/Xorg.0.log . Might be a fundamental X problem.
laurence
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quantumstate wrote:
Try creating a new user (<Ctl><Alt><F2>), so that a new kde structure will be created. While in console 2 log off, and in as that new user and startx.

This should start X and K, in the process creating a whole new .kde under that user's home.

I did create a new user and rebooted the machine before logging in as that user, just to make certain that there weren't any background processes I didn't know about hanging around. Still no joy. The only difference was that it asked a few setup questions before hanging (presumably that was when it tried to start the kde runtime).

Quote:

But it is bad that there's nothing in /var/log/Xorg.0.log . Might be a fundamental X problem.

Yeah, unless that "command not found" error means I have a path problem and X never sees anything. Nothing but kde fails (I'm running gnome now, for instance), and even kde programs can run if I try a second time or kill the right kde process and unblock the IPC call. So I'm not sure if X is a prime suspect or not.

Dustin
Quantumstate
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not if Gnome is running. It is suspicious though that you have nothing in the X system log.

Is this a new install, or upgrade? If upgrade, deinstall all old kde packages. I just try all distfiles and versions in /usr/portage/kde-base . If using distcc, make sure all systems have the same gcc version. If using Unsermake, turn it off. If using aggressive compile flags, don't. Beyond this, I'm out of ideas.
laurence
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quantumstate wrote:
Not if Gnome is running. It is suspicious though that you have nothing in the X system log.

I've probably misled you. There is plenty in the log. What I did was to do a tail -f on the log to see if any new messages were put there when trying to start a kde program. Nothing new. Of the existing messages, I don't see anything that looks immediately suspicious among the voluminous start-up messages.

Quote:

Is this a new install, or upgrade? If upgrade, deinstall all old kde packages. I just try all distfiles and versions in /usr/portage/kde-base . If using distcc, make sure all systems have the same gcc version. If using Unsermake, turn it off. If using aggressive compile flags, don't. Beyond this, I'm out of ideas.

Kinda in-between. I mentioned a system re-build; what happened was that emerge died, or rather python itself seemed to have died. I built a fresh python from a pristine source tarball, planning to symlink python to it so that emerge would work, but it failed in the same way. I never did figure out what happened to python, but I eventually untar'd a new stage file over the system. This fixed emerge, and I re-emerged system (so the toolchain would build twice) and then world. While it worked, it was a pretty blunt club and screwed up quite a bit of configuration (in addition to the 100+ files waiting to be updated in /etc).

Besides the configuration overwrites from the stage file (I assume), there is the problem that the emerges would have upgraded things that weren't current (and there were some, because I did without emerge for several days before I ran out of ideas and got desperate enough to untar a stage file over an installed system), but I don't know what. No distcc, no unsermake (I don't know what that is actually). CFLAGS:

CFLAGS="-O3 -pipe -march=athlon-xp -fPIC -fomit-frame-pointer"

which worked before and I didn't think were particularly agressive (well, OK, at least by Gentoo standards :-) ). I'm trying to avoid rebuilding all of kde, not only for the obvious reasons but because that's kinda how I got here in the first place, but yeah if I don't find something else I'll definitely have to go that route.

Dustin
Quantumstate
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dude, quite a challenge.

If it were me, I'd start over. I know that's not what you want to hear, but it may actually save you time.

In any case, I recommend the following settings. I've built my system from Stage 1 with these, and no problems related to them:

Code:
USE="-3dfx 3dnow acl acpi aim alsa apache2 arts artswrappersuid audiofile avi -bidi bonobo -canna caps cdparanoia cdr -cjk crypt cups curl dba -dedicated dga -directfb divx4linux doc -dvb dvd dvdr emacs emacs-w3 encode esd ethereal -ev6 evo f77 fam fastcgi fbcon fdftk fftw flac flash foomaticdb -freewnn -gb gd -gd-external gif gimpprint -gmp -gnome gpm gps gstreamer gtk gtk2 icq imagemagick imlib -informix ipv6 jabber jack java -joystick jpeg kde kerberos lcms -ldap lesstif libwww lirc mad maildir -matrox mbox mmx motif mpeg mozilla msn mssql -mule multilib mysql nas ncurses -oci8 offensive oggvorbis opengl oss pam pcmcia pda pdflib perl pic pie png pnp postgres ppds prelude python qt quicktime readline samba scanner sdl session slp snmp speex spell sse static svg tcpd theora threads tiff truetype trusted usb videos -voodoo3 -wavelan wifi wmf X Xaw3d xinerama xml2 xmms xv xvid yahoo zlib"

Code:
CFLAGS="-march=pentium3 -O3 -falign-functions=4 -falign-jumps=4 -ffast-math -fforce-addr -fmove-all-movables -fno-crossjumping -fomit-frame-pointer -fprefetch-loop-arrays -ftracer -maccumulate-outgoing-args -mfpmath=sse -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -pipe"

This is aggressive, and 15 apps (out of thousands) would not compile until setting more conservative, on a full-blown workstation, mostly optional like MythTV.

Unsermake is an addon that intercepts KDE compiles and gathers all configuration before compile and makes one large Makefile. Reduces fruitless directory descents, and can save compile-time from 10%-50%.
DawgG
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: similar probs Reply with quote

hello,
i've made a system-upgrade recently, too, and a lot of things didn't/don't work (correctly) anymore.
the thing was: at one point gcc was upgraded from 3.2.3 to 3.4.1 and some progs were incompatible afterwards. i had a kernel compiled with the older version and an nvidia-module compiled with the newer and
Code:
modprobe nvidia

kept telling me "invalid module format" until i recompiled the kernel with the newer-version gcc.
now kde refuses to start; when you type the password in to log in, it accepts it and without any message/error puts you back on the login-screen.
don't know what to do yet; probably recompile xorg (and then the rest??)

(REALLY REALLY bad it is my wife's computer: "i'm gone for two days and you DESTROY my computer!!! why you ALWAYS do that geek-shit?!?" gotta fix it FAST)
laurence
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: similar probs Reply with quote

DawgG wrote:
hello,
i've made a system-upgrade recently, too, and a lot of things didn't/don't work (correctly) anymore.
the thing was: at one point gcc was upgraded from 3.2.3 to 3.4.1 and some progs were incompatible afterwards. i had a kernel compiled with the older version and an nvidia-module compiled with the newer and
Code:
modprobe nvidia

kept telling me "invalid module format" until i recompiled the kernel with the newer-version gcc.
now kde refuses to start; when you type the password in to log in, it accepts it and without any message/error puts you back on the login-screen.
don't know what to do yet; probably recompile xorg (and then the rest??)

(REALLY REALLY bad it is my wife's computer: "i'm gone for two days and you DESTROY my computer!!! why you ALWAYS do that geek-shit?!?" gotta fix it FAST)

Yah, in my case I'd recompiled the kernel so I didn't have that problem, but the KDE thing sounds slightly familiar. At this point, I've decided to re-install with very standard options and a 2.4 kernel and see how things go. If that doesn't work, I'm going to toss Gentoo, because troubleshooting is taking up enough time that it is interfering with getting stuff done.

Admittedly, the new baby isn't helping either. :-)

Dustin
DawgG
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: FIXED - but how?? Reply with quote

the problem had STH to do with X-auth - but what?
x would start but not let you authenticate.
i recompiled the kernel and ALL modules.
then next day EVERYTHING ran as smoothly as before - maybe i had not rebooted enough???
i hate it when troubleshooting happens magically by some kind of opaque, super-natural power or by rebooting a couple of times (that kind of shit is for DOZEing fools!!!!!)

at least it runs now...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: